Baja Mtsports BE 500 Scooter New owner

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
EthanTudorW
Baja Mtsports BE 500 Scooter New owner

I just bought a new BE-500 E Scooter from Best buy, and so far (145 Miles) I'm pretty happy. I HAVE noticed the charger light does not go from "Red" to "Green" when it's charging to let you know it has a full charge, and also, recently the Batts. seem to be a little on the weak side. Has anyone had this issue? Baja Motorsports has agreed to send me a new charger (It's back ordered) but told me it's ok to charge and run the bike. Also..I noticed the Batt: compartment under the seat gets REALLY hot, so I have taken to opening up the seat when I am charging. Does anyone have any hints or tips to keep my new BE-500 healthy and happy? I am open to any hints or ideas, or problems I should be on the lookout for. Thanks everyone.
-Ethan Tudor W.
azkaban777 [at] gmail.com

EthanTudorW
Re: Baja Mtsports BE 500 Scooter New owner

UPDATE: Baja Motorsports. Sunday Sept 20th 2009
Just an update in case anyone is curious. I have E-mailed Baja Motorsports a few times as to the status of the charger they say is back ordered, also following up with snail-mail and have not had anyone respond in a couple of weeks. My E-Mail to Neils Treman has bounced so I wrote to sales [at] bajamotorsports.net, also to no avail. I'm a little bummed. I also found that the Batts. now seem to be fried and will not hold a charge at all. I hope they will get this worked out but through a little research I seem to find that a lot of folks have had parts on "Back-Order" (and under warrnty.) only to wait untill the Warrnty. runs out and be told.."Sorry, your out of luck". I do NOT know if this is, or will be the case with me. I sure hope not, but either way I will keep everyone up dated as to what happens. At this point, I am still waiting with the hope that they will stand behind their product and replace the Batts. and charger. I want to be fair, but I sure wish they would respond to my contact requests.
-Ethan Tudor W.

Ethan Tudor W.
www.imdb.com KEYWORD:Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW
Re: Baja Mtsports BE 500 Scooter New owner UPDATE @

Baja Motorsports took GREAT care of us, we got the new charger and tire is a more than reasonable amount of time, Neils Treman has been a GREAT help and is currently working on the Batteries for me that got fried from the other charger. 160 Miles on the Scooter, but not riding again untill the Batts: get replaced. So far my experience has been really good.

Ethan Tudor W.

marylandbob

Your batteries may have been defective, INSTEAD of the charger. A battery with one or more shorted cells will keep the charger trying to charge it to the normal voltage, and this will cause the remaining cells to OVERCHARGE, and get very HOT!!--Rule of thumb: Batteris should NOT get uncomfortably warm, or HOT, during charge! If excess heating is experienced, it is time to get out the digital voltmeter, and find the problem!--Bob

PS:Most batteries, especially LEAD-ACID or LITHIUM, DO NOT fare well if discharged completely! It is also best to prevent storing the batteries in a discharged state. After use, RECHARGE it, especially if it uses lead-acid batteries! -

Robert M. Curry

EthanTudorW

Thanks for the tip Robert. Baja Motorsports has agreed to replace the Batts. as well and said they will be here shortly. I had a great experience with them getting the new charger and tire to me, so I have no doubt they will get the two new Batts. out shortly. I watch my bike VERY CAREFULLY now when charging. I was told they were "Gel" Batts. so does your "Full Discharge" rule still apply? I love my little scooter and have over 200 miles on it now. I attached a bloated Batt. pic....not a good start to my whole "Electric" experience, but you live and learn and move forward. So far, I have had a lot of fun, afterall, that's kinda what it's all about.-E

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW

RE: Baja Motorsports BE-500 Scooter. Oct 10th UPDATE: We had to Re-Send 4 Color 8X10's of the bloated/fried/melted batts. Via SnailMail to Neils Treman and the CEO at Baja, We are being told they are still going to send the new Batts. as soon as they come in, they are on back order...so far, they have been really cool about the whole problem. I will let you know what happens. So far, Baja has been treating me pretty good!

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW
Re: Baja Motorsports Update 10-15-09

I just wanted to update and say that we got a phone call from "Gardiner" in Ohio, they do the order processing for Baja Motorsports and they will be getting the batteries (both) out to us next week. They said they just came in. We will update as soon as they show up. Also..a You Tube video is available of the BE-500 scooter (Keyword: Baja Motorsports BE-500 BRILL) Take a look, great video of when the bike WAS running.

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW

Here is the link to the short video of the BE-500 Electric bike I bought from Baja Motorsports. It is a GREAT runner when it runs. I hope to have the new batteries from Baja later this week UPS. Then I shall be back on the road. Woo Hoo! I know my husband can't wait. Maybe I will even let him ride it. HAHA.-Yoli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwN6xGKuepE

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW

October 26th 2009 -UPDATE-. Well I got the package from Baja Motorsports today, and the two gel batteries were completly destroyed, plastic housing and case busted. A total loss. On the up-side, I contacted Baja Motorsports and they said they will replace the two batteries with in 24 hours. They asked that I send photo's so I mailed photo's to Neils Treman, Kat, Blaze and Serg all in customer service at Baja. I mailed them all a set of 6 pictures (Color 8X10's) so they would all be on the same page, and it can't be said, "We never got the pictures". (Another copy of the letters and pictures went to the Presiden/CEO of Baja). ALSO ANOTHER letter went to the CEO of "Gardner Inc." in Ohio, where Baja Motorsports ships their parts from, same pictures, and a phone call to them this morning stated that they will look into replacing them as well. This has really started to become a real issue with many letters, phone calls, and well over 40 hours invested in this problem. To be fair, Baja has been VERY communicative with phone calls, mail, etc. All I want is for the bike to be up and running before the wet winter weather sets in. I will keep you all updated as to what happens now that we have this new development. Hopefully, they will get this worked out quickly. -ETW

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW

Well, Niles say's he is working out my Battery problem. He said he got the pic's (Snail Mail), copy's went to the President/CEO, Niles, Blaze, Kat, Serge, and even their warehouse in Ohio. Guess we will se what comes in the FedX Post.
October 29th 2009

Niles Treman

Customer Service/Tech Support

1-888-863-2252 Option #2 ext 7021

FAX 1-866-316-4602

niles.treman [at] bajamotorsports.net

Ethan Tudor W.

EthanTudorW

Hey Asxena, no. I have not had any problems with the police here when riding my scooter. And yes I am the same "Ethan Tudor W." The Actor. I'm currently working in Oregon on the TV show "Leverage". Wow, you have 2,000 miles on your scooter? That's cool, I hope to get as much out of mine if I ever get a set of batteries from Baja Motorsports. I was very sad to find I got the WRONG set of batteries today. Also instead of TWO batteries with TWO charging ports, they sent me TWO batteries linked together with a set of wires and ONE charging port. I plan to call them in the morning. I have been pretty patient with them and I'm about on my last straw. I can't say if I would suggest buying your new batteries from them at this point. Maybe someone here can help you, they are all really nice. Good luck, and also let me know how YOU fair. -Ethan Tudor W.

Ethan Tudor W.

www.scooterbatt...
www.scooterbatteries.net's picture

Well I simply can not believe that it's like two months later and you still do not have your scooter running. In my opinion this problem was caused by overcharging. The symptoms of overcharging are that the batteries heat up and the plastic partially melts, causing the sealed batteries to bulge. Electrolyte fluid flows everywhere. Overcharging can happen in a couple ways:

1. A cell goes bad and the batteries never achieve full charge voltage. The charger just keeps pumpig volatege into the batteries but they never fully charge.

2. Worn out batteries will also do this as they are never able to reach a full charge.

3. The charger is bad and does not sense when the batteries are fully charged and just keeps on charging.

Regardless of what happened the way these guys are treating you is shameful and I hope nothing else on that scooter ever breaks, because this does not bode well for future relations with this company.

If your friends ever want top quality warrantied replacement batteries for your scooter products, please check the prices at the url in my signature link below.

You will never be reading stories like the one above about my products. I simply perish at the thought!

EthanTudorW

Well, here is the end story, The new Batteries finally arrived, and they were the WRONG kind, wired wrong, and all broken, another TOTAL mess. I gave up, Baja seems to have tried to work with me but after all this, I just give up. I don't have anymore time to spend on this matter. I have a contact for another battery from another company. I LOVE the bike, but in the end, Baja's customer service was bad. I just let it go, turned it all over to the Attrny. Gen. Office in AZ and called it a day. I have all the paperwork, paper trail, and dates and times I spoke with people there. So that's the end story. I will get the bike running and my batteries from ANOTHER source. I guess Baja Motorsports has had a few complaints, my pile of letters, e-mail's Pictures, were the best case for the Attny. Gen. Office, very well documented, so I guess they will be moving forward on their own. What a bummer. -ETW

Ethan Tudor W.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage