Out On Batteries Flying Again!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
oobflyer
oobflyer's picture
Out On Batteries Flying Again!

My Vectrix is back up and running -- thanks to Dana DeCosta of Vectrix! It simply wouldn't charge when I got home from work a couple of months ago - but Dana did some diagnostic testing and found nothing physically wrong. It appears to have been some sort of software glitch. He reset the software, installed the new software (110 km/hr!), and everything seems to be fine now.

A big thanks to Dana for traveling to the west coast from Massachusetts!

DanaDeCosta.jpg

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture
Re: Out On Batteries Flying Again!

Hey OOBFLYER

Can you ask Dana if he would email the latest version software to me ;-)
110kph would be nice.

Spaceangel

Is there a way to figure out if your down time was software or physical? It was hot here in Massachusetts this past week and my bike seemed to have done ~ nothing? Record seven days above 90 degrees and dew points of 68 degrees or higher. I was scared but a half hour later it magically worked. I still don't know if it was a thermal problem, software or other problem.
Is there a READ OUT that can verify software error? What caused initial "problem"? Just computer reprogrammed itself to be in error? Can the bike ever get back home it software goes "error"? At least with old cars and trucks you could diddle with points but new cars have electronic ignition and one has to be towed to dealer again. I guess that is what happens to VX-1 owners? At least if charger went south I would guess there is some way to put in a charge with some other charging technique but actual making the bike go is seemingly controlled via the computer.
Dave, Did having the bike sit with "Dead" batteries do anything to pack from not being charged? Till Dana got to your home town.
I am so glad you are on the road again.
Rus

KB1UKU

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I wrote down what happened initially on this post: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/9048-fuel-gage-morphed-efficiency-gage

I don't know what caused the problem - I don't think Dana knows either. He suggested that there may have been an encoder error (dust/dirt in the encoder area), but he tested this and it was OK. I don't think it was heat related. At least I didn't get the 'BatHot' error message. I didn't get any error messages at all.

As far as the heat goes - I live in the San Joaquin Valley in California where it routinely gets up to 110-114 degrees Fahrenheit every summer. I didn't have any problems charging or riding during the last two summers.

As far as the batteries not being charged - it was sitting for about six weeks - I don't think it was long enough to do any damage - Dana didn't seem to be concerned about that.

I don't know how to ask Dana to email the upgrade to anyone. He had to plug in his laptop to the port in the glove box to do the upgrade. You can call Vectrix @ 508-717-6510, but don't press "1" for service, press "0" to talk to the secretary - she can get a message to Dana more quickly. Dana mentioned that he is one of two service guys for the whole country - and the other one is off temporarily, that's why Dana had to drive all the way across the country. I guess normally Dana covers the eastern half of the country while the other service person covers the western half.

One thing he shared with me that I could try if something like this happens again: Underneath the front of the bike, above the front wheel on the right side of the bike are two big, square connectors, with locking latches on the sides. The one that is closer towards the rear of the bike connects the charger to the batteries. He said to try disconnecting this connector, and re-connecting it -- that might re-start the charging process and get the bike to start charging again.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

R
R's picture

I don't know how to ask Dana to email the upgrade to anyone. He had to plug in his laptop to the port in the glove box to do the upgrade. You can call Vectrix @ 508-717-6510, but don't press "1" for service, press "0" to talk to the secretary - she can get a message to Dana more quickly.

I want to contact Dana about this great FW update, but I'm from Europe, I'd love to concact by email. Is there any suitable, working email to contact dana or the vectrix secretary? don't publish the email here pelase, a private message to avoid spam robots will be better.

many thanks in advance.
R

rewski

I don't know how to ask Dana to email the upgrade to anyone. He had to plug in his laptop to the port in the glove box to do the upgrade. You can call Vectrix @ 508-717-6510, but don't press "1" for service, press "0" to talk to the secretary - she can get a message to Dana more quickly.

I want to contact Dana about this great FW update, but I'm from Europe, I'd love to concact by email. Is there any suitable, working email to contact dana or the vectrix secretary? don't publish the email here pelase, a private message to avoid spam robots will be better.

many thanks in advance.
R

ddecosta at vectrix dot com

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

R
R's picture

Thanks Rewsky!

israndy
israndy's picture

Yeah thanks, I was having trouble getting ahold of them for my bike issue too, hopefully going direct will help.

-Randy

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage