110 kph (68 mph) Firmware Update

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magendanz
Magendanz's picture
110 kph (68 mph) Firmware Update

I think this firware update that Dana is installing on resurrected machines deserves a thread of its own, expecially considering how much it's improved my satisfaction with highway driving. Looking in the diagnostics software, the only change seems to be an update in the Motor Controller software from REV 1017 (v 1.017) to REV 7-68.

My speedometer has always read a couple of kph high, so I'm actually now seeing 70 mph as my max speed. When I mention this to others, I'm surprised at the change in reaction. It's pretty remarkable how 62 mph has always implied underpowered and handicapped while 70 mph (or even 68 mph) seems ample for everyday use.

In practice, I find the extra speed absolutely essential for passing smartly and safely on roads with 55 or 60 mph posted speed limits. (It also makes it much easier to draft on the freeway, but we've already discussed the dangers of that in other threads.) The bike runs smoothly all the way up, and there's no sound or vibration that might indicate the motor or reduction gear is approaching its limits. Efficiency will certainly go down with the added wind resistance, but I find that I'm so infrequently using the "boost" that there's really no discernable impact on range.

Dana told me that the plan is that all new bikes from the factory will have this new firmware, but with the existing dealer network in such disarray it wasn't clear what opportunities current owners might have to receive the update. As far as I've seen, the only copy of the REV 7-68 MCR firmware in the field is on Dana's laptop, but I'm hoping that might not be true for long.

R
R's picture
Re: 110 kph (68 mph) Firmware Update

Dana told me that the plan is that all new bikes from the factory will have this new firmware, but with the existing dealer network in such disarray it wasn't clear what opportunities current owners might have to receive the update. As far as I've seen, the only copy of the REV 7-68 MCR firmware in the field is on Dana's laptop, but I'm hoping that might not be true for long.

Lets Hope so!
I'm interested in having this new Fw installed. I'm sure our dealer can do a great job by upgrading our bikes and intalling this upgrade in stock bikes, I personally beleive it will be easier to sell these bikes with this upgrade: 110 km/h can make the difference...

How can I contact Dana? many thanks in andvance.

israndy
israndy's picture

WOW, I just emailed him after his email address was posted in another thread (ddecosta) and got a call from him w/i 20 minutes. R and I seem to have similar issues and Dana said he would start troubleshooting my bike by installing the new firmware, but it may be some time before he can get to me, he is the ONLY one at the moment and it's a big country (especially at 25 miles/charge).

He had me on his list to call from leaving voicemail at their service line. Email just poked him into calling me then and there.

-Randy

Mik
Mik's picture

...but it may be some time before he can get to me, he is the ONLY one at the moment and it's a big country (especially at 25 miles/charge).

-Randy

Is he travelling on a Vectrix? That may indeed take a little while then....

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

rewski

I just emailed him as well this morning and he replied in about 30 sec that he would add me to his list when he stops in Denver next. Gotta say the costumer service of the New Vectrix is top notch...not to mention that he sent me a free rear bracket so I could mount a Givi box. Hopefully the software upgrade with solve my low range/voltage issues.

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

R
R's picture

Hopefully the software upgrade with solve my low range/voltage issues.

let's Hope So.
Dana also answered my mail immediately, superb costumer care!.
Infinite

Can I get added to the list? I only highway drive... I don't even know who the Seattle Vectrix dealer is anymore... :/

Drew
Drew's picture

Do you or Dana know if the firmware upgrade will be coming to the UK? I'd love to have a copy of the file as it would make a HUGE difference here!

Thanks,

Drew

Drew

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I got the upgrade a couple of months ago and I'm enjoying the extra speed (at 110 km/hr!), but I am finding that I am now experiencing the Orange Wrench/Encoder error quite often. I can't help but wonder if the encoder can't quite handle the extra speed. This is just a guess, although this Orange Wrench/Encoder error message shows up while I'm traveling at speeds between 100 km/hr and 100 km/hr. I sent an email to Dana, but haven't heard back. I know he's busy.

Is this a common experience after upgrading?

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture

Any chance someone could email me Dana's Email address
Regards Peter

Infinite

How does one get this new Firmware? Do I need to contact Dana? If so I could someone shoot me their e-mail address or e-mail this tread to them so that maybe Dana could contact me?

I am a software developer so I feel pretty comfortable flashing devices or upgrading.

rewski

ddecosta at vectrix dot com

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

R
R's picture

Thanks to Dana and Alessandro the FW update is finally in Spain. It will be first tested by the dealer, and if works properly it will be installed at owner's wish. There is another FW that downgrades the top speed limit to 80 km/h, and gives poor acceleration. But range increases dramatically: It is very suitable for fleets.

Update: I've just realised that the FW for 80 km/h could be designed initially for Lead battery versions...

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

...There is another FW that downgrades the top speed limit to 80 km/h, and gives poor acceleration. But range increases dramatically: It is very suitable for fleets.

Update: I've just realised that the FW for 80 km/h could be designed initially for Lead battery versions...

That would be interesting for me as I never drive faster than 80 Km/h (Speed limits to work and saving my battery).
Do you have more information (FW number, performance very limited uphill or with a second person onboard)?

Greetings Mike

R
R's picture

Do you have more information (FW number, performance very limited uphill or with a second person onboard)?

A test ride felt like when you have the red battery light turned on: slow accelerations, but powerful enough to uphill or move 2 people. Ask your country's dealer about this FW. Cheers.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage