Noisy planetary gear - LubriLoy forever!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
deletraz
Noisy planetary gear - LubriLoy forever!

Waiting to find some time in designing a planetary gear "à la Citroen",

I decided to open the gear box and using another lubricant, like of several of Vectrix owners already tried. But not just an off-the-shelf one...
For more than 20 years I use the outstanding LubriLoy Revive, which is NOT an additive, but someting like a "fortifier".
Just go to www.lubriloy.com for more information.

When used at 3% (standard recommendation) friction is reduced by a factor of 25!
When used pure, wear is virtually eliminated. Of course it is quite a "thick" oil, but in this application it is a real bonus using it pure.
Believe it or not, but my experience is just the same as testimonies you can find on their web site. Amazing product I use everywhere I can.

My question was if using LubriLoy Revive, I could reduce the planetary gearbox noise...
I have to add that my Vectrix does not exhibit any wobling and/or pulsing noise or vibrato, just the regular, normal whirling noise due to straight cut gears.

I opened the gear box following the nicely explained Mik's thread (Thank you Mik!).
I used a seringe to remove the original oil, then poured as much as I could - not very much than original capacity, maybe 20-30% more - with pure LubriLoy Revive, then reassembled the whole thing.
Be careful during the re-assembly process by well installing the o-ring seal: I add to stretch it quite a bit in order it would properly fit in the slot, and put back the cover before it would take its normal, little bit smaller diameter. No doing this will lead to o-ring pinching and sealing problem...
If you have proper tools, the total time for the operation is less than 45 minutes!

Guess what? The cogging noise at idle when you manually move the bike forth and back is virtually removed, and if the whirling, cruise noise is still there, it is much smoother than previously! More regular, less high frequency disturbing, well, all in all, much better improvement than I expected.
The plus side is that now the wearing will be virtually eliminated thanks to Revive virtues, so the noise should not increase versus time / mileage.

I just performed the change today, and I will drive few hundred kilometers before reporting if the improvement - small but appreciable anyway - will remain.

I like to insist on the fact I have no share at LubriLoy company, but I just love what they do (since 1949), and I though it was well worth sharing this.

When I will start the double helical project gear I will keep you posted!

Wish you all a nice ride on your Vectrix!

Hervé

R
R's picture
Re: Noisy planetary gear - LubriLoy forever!

just performed the change today, and I will drive few hundred kilometers before reporting if the improvement - small but appreciable anyway - will remain.

Thanks for sharing, Hervé. Is the improvement remaining?

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Thankyou Herve, i will keep this in mind if i ever get the noise back, i used to have a problem with this matter but Vectrix solved it immediately and it has never come back, i have 11.000kms now and no sign of that horrible uneven whine anymore.

RaDy

turok
turok's picture

I like the idea..

It could never harm the bike I guess (I'd even bet opposite indeed), so I'd be ready to try it!

But..I've never heard of that brand, and the manufacturers were kind to let me know there are no importers/distributors (yet) in my country.

Bummer..

I wonder if there wouldn't be other brands producing such high quality stuff..

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

deletraz

Hello R, well now I drove about 150 km, and the improvement remains. The noise is even a bit smoother, more regular, and less intrusive.
I guess that the actual SPL noise is not much lower, but the frequency content is less "hissy".
But the biggest improvement is that now wearing is virtually eliminated.

Hervé

R: Thanks for sharing, Hervé. Is the improvement remaining?

deletraz

Hello Turok,

LubriLoy is not easily distributed worldwide, alas.
But if you directly contact them, they can supply you. The problem is that they need a minimum quantity order.

As I am using LubriLoy for almost every application, I bought from them quite some quantity.
I can supply some bottles to Vectrix friends who would want to try.
If so, just let me know and I will figure out what would be the cost with shipping, depending on locations...

As far as I know, there is NO OTHER product on earth that can offer this quality. I looked for and tried alternative things but never got this results.

Cheers - Herve

Turok: I wonder if there wouldn't be other brands producing such high quality stuff..

R
R's picture

It seems a suitable lubricant for our vectrix's gerabox. I'll try to buy it in Spain.
The lubriloy's email address is not working:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

customerservice arroba lubriloy com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected (state 14).

I tried to deliver an message from 3 different emails.... all rejected??
Anybody had success in contacting them?
Is there more people in Europe interested in lubriloy revive?

turok
turok's picture

Hey,

I did reach them by e-mail a few weeks ago, but they don't have distrubutors in Europe (yet).

Maybe we should place a central order together and divide it?

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Looks like this is available in the US from Adventure Accessories. I just ordered a 16 oz. bottle.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage