Brakes for electric vehicles

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Webmaster
Webmaster's picture
Brakes for electric vehicles

Hey all, I was just curious(and hope this doesn't sound too stupid to ask)
what do electric vehicle brakes measure at when they are brand new?
I know that regular gas car brake pads start at 16/32 seconds and there is this really cool measuring device that technicians use. How do you measure your own brakes for electric vehicles.
I just thought of this question because I saw someone's post on brakes and I happen to be an automotive service writer for a repair shop. Thanks for any help.

Lisa

danwat1234
Re: Brakes for electric vehicles

All electric cars that I have seen have regular brake pads to assist in slowing down the vehicle, but the main braking is done by the motor of the vehicle. As in, most electric vehicles brake by turning the AC motor into a generator and so the battery pack will get some juice as the user presses on the brake. If the user depresses the brake pedal far enough, the regular brake pads will begin to engage to further the braking effort.

So the 'regenerative braking' never wears out. The electric motor does that form of braking.
The physical brake pads I would assume are the same components (disc/drum) as a normal vehicle. But I don't know the thickness that the pads should start out with and their minimum thickness. That would be in the specifications for the vehicle in the maintenance manual.

Lisa (not verified)
Re: Brakes for electric vehicles

Hi Danwat1234 thank you for the info! All I know is that most pads begin at 16/32 seconds and they should be changed when they reach 3/32 or atleast that's when I recommend replacing them. Learned something new thanks again.

Lisa

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage