Is the eGo LX is a good choice?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
sbien
Is the eGo LX is a good choice?

Has anyone had any experience with he eGo LX?
What sort of advice do you have for a prospective eGo buyer. i live in rural maine. my office is 6 somewhat hilly miles from my office on a road that has decent shoulders and relatively light traffic. do you think the LX is a good choice?
thanks

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture
Re: Is the eGo LX is a good choice?

ego_electric_scooter_lx.jpg

Hi Sbien,

First, let me Welcome You to the V is for Voltage Community!

I just took a look at the eGo, it's a nice looking scooter ... er bike.
I've never seen one or ridden on one, but it looks like a fun ride.
I looked over the specs. and (as is often the case) have no way of knowing how accurate they are.

With this in mind, I'll give you my first impressions.

I just built the MB-1-E Mountain bike and was surprised how similar some of the specs are.
The eGo LX is, by far, more elegant and the warranty indicates that they expect this scooter to last.
The eGo has a more powerful motor, but the rest of the system comes pretty close.
With 24 volts at 34Ah (Mine is 24 volts at 36Ah) you should have a good range.
The reason I mention this is because I am familiar with my MB-1-E's performance and am very pleased.
The eGo is unique, IMO, in that it is sort of a cross between an ebike and a scooter.
Obviously, there is no pedal assist, but the larger tires and nice light aluminum frame are a real plus, IMO.

It don't think the speed and range estimates seem unreasonable.
I would estimate that to get the 25 mile range, you would need to slow down to perhaps 12-15 mph to get this without depleting your batteries too far.
I didn't see what the battery type was, but I would assume it is an SLA battery type from the overall weight and Ah specification given.
I try not to deplete my batteries beyond about 50% so that they will last a while.
A lot depends on grade and length of the hills that you need to traverse, a long steep hill will have a lot of effect on your overall range.

From the few sites that I visited, the eGo LX looks to be well constructed and have some nice features.
As long as you temper your range expectations per the number and severity of the hill climbs you need to make then I see this as a good choice. My 36Ah will take me up a few hills and still have a range of over 10 miles with battery to spare, so as long as you are able to charge once you get to the office, you will probably be fine.

I rather like the eGo LX, the fact that you have the option of adding a battery pack makes it very attractive.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

MB-1-E
Electric - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

sbien

thanks, that was helpful and i'll soon by sending in some road experience of my own. i think i'll get one. i've seen claims that it will get a 170# rider up a 15% grade. i estimate my hills to be 10% or so and running about 1/2 mile in length. i know my dewalt 18v electric drill battery goes right down if i overload the drill and i assume these batteries are similarly sensitive to overload. a san francisco dealer says don't get one if you plan to ride in SF.
Steve

Ray_T
Ray_T's picture

Hi, I'm an eGo owner and have some input for you.
The eGo cycle is well made, the aluminum frame is very tough and will last well beyond the 10yr warranty provided. The motor, however is insulated by this same frame and heat can become an issue on steep hills. The manual says to reduce throttle if your speed drops below about 17mph on a hill and this is good advice. If you pay attention and slow your roll on these steep hills (12-15mph), your motor and brushes will last much longer.

There are a few extras you should consider spending some money on if you go with the eGo:

The primary drive pulley(the one that is attached to the motor) is made of plastic, and will fail if the belt is not adjusted precisely. I have a steel one that one of the forum peeps made that is working very well for me after I found out the hard way about this (imo) design error. I'm not sure if there are any of these available still, but I'm sure you can get one made for about $50.

Batteries: the electrics are 24v provided by 2 12v batteries in series. the power draw of the motor, the physical arrangment of the batteries and the proximity of one of them to the motor(heat), and the power supplied by the charger all conspire to make one of the batteries work harder than the other. Buy a 'Powercheq' unit and install it between the batteries. The batteries will remain balanced and both will last longer.

A horn: you are nearly invisible. Go to the junkyard and get a car horn. wire it parallel with the existing horn and mount it to the same screw that the stock horn is attached with, but on the outside of the frame. If you can't be seen, you should at least be heard.

sbien

Ray
does the motor keep its power at lower rpm's ie up hills at a slower pace?
also, you apparently bought the lx rather than the classic, and this is my inclination too. what made you buy the lx?
Steve

Ray_T
Ray_T's picture

Yes, the power is still there, you're just not using it. as you throttle down, you are allowing the motor to draw less current, so it produces less heat and keeps the whole works happier. if you try too steep a hill at full throttle, the motor will get very hot and may fail. You will also demand much more from the batteries and will reduce your range.

When I bought the eGo, I went for the LX mainly for the turn signals and D.O.T. approved lights so I could register it if it ever became necesary.

sbien

Dear EV whizzes
i'm not sure of the physics or electronics here but the eGo manual advises a break in of about 4 hours during which one should avoid steep hills. is a 10%/ 1/4 mile hill steep or do they have something more in mind. what is the principle involved here and how careful should i be. if i avoid hills i'll never get it off my driveway and those first 4 hours of riding could be pretty dull!
Steve

hopbot
hopbot's picture

hey there sbien, welcome to the forum!
i don't have an ego, but i was close to getting one before i decided to convert a mountain bike instead. i asked around (on this forum and local shops) and i was told that its not the best for hill climbing. now i'm talking San Francisco hills (that's where i live) and so your needs will differ, but it was mentioned to me that you can order a "hill climbing gear" that reduces the overall speed but gives you extra torque for the hills.

hope this is helpful.

2007 Dahon Matrix - Cyclone 500w - 17Ah 24V LiFePO4

sbien

Ray, is that an easy installation? the owners manual warns one away from tinkering amongst the battery innards.
second question, do you think a supplementary battery pack is a good idea since it, too, would tend to reduce the draw down on the batteries?
steve

sbien

i've had my eGo for a few days and i am quite pleased. again this is a 12 mile round trip commute over fairly hilly terrain, the strongest hill a 10% grade over about 1/4 mile. i have been able to average 18 mph all told. while the hills slow me down substantially they are manageable even in the go-far mode. on the steeper grades i go about 12, but this is not at full throttle.
as per the break-in recommendations in the manual, i am staying in go far mode for the first week. i expect switching to go-fast will scoot me along a little faster,esp on the hills.
a tech support person at eGo told me the break in was somewhat optional. more recommended for heavier riders who push their cylcles hard. somehow it relates to breaking in the brushes, although i don't understand that. he proposed an alternative break in of getting the rear tire off the ground and running the scooter on high until the battery dies, but i'm not doing that, just riding the bike in a somewhat restrained manner.
i love the ride and it fits perfectly with my commuting needs. so, while i have not clocked a lot of miles, so far very good.
Steve

Stleride
Stleride's picture

`sbien ,
Welcome to our V is for Voltage Community, glad to start seeing some eGo post again.
Please keep us updated, if you can very stop riding it long enough. Are you aware we also have a Member Vehicle Gallery?

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide Forum Support.

`

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are members of our very dedicated community volunteer <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/106-our-community-volunteers">V Team</a> who help keep our <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/251-poli

wlsinwis

Hi I am considering an Ego also as I had been looking at a Segway but it is really for an urban not rual environment. I have 4 miles to travel along a country road - no sidewalks and I NEED to be able to travel faster than 12 MPH.
anyway regarding break in I would say it is more than optional it SHOULD be done.
The brushes need to wear into close contact with the cummutator for efficient electrical flow. If the brushes are not broken in the current flow is restricted and excessive heat from the resistance will result in cooking your motor. Putting it up on blocks and just letting the motor turn the wheel for 4 hours while plugged in or so will result in a much longer lasting moror. Also for the first several weeks DO NOT twist the throttle to maximun from standing. Start up slow and accellerate gradually. Those people you read complainging about the durability of the motor and batteries have usually cooked the motor with improper break in.
Good luck and drive sensibly.
Bill

sbien

i learned about the break in a little late in the game and so road for almost a week over fairly hilly terrain, albeit gently and in go far mode. my dealer said break in was unnecessary and even the eGo folks though formal break in might be optional for a light person (160#) like me. i ended up breaking it on blocks for a couple of hours anyway and hope that has been sufficient. i continue to ride in go far and to go easy on the throttle. hopefully my motor will stay happy.
the break in recommendations using the up on blocks method should be clearly stated in the manual.

JefMurray

Sbien,

It's been a while now since your last post. How are you liking your eGO LX at this point?

I'm asking because I'm going to be selling my Giant Suede E (once the controller is replaced), and will be looking for something else to use as a commute EV. Am considering the XM-3000 when it's out or the eGO. I had heard many folks complaining about the eGO's reliability in the last few years, so am curious about folks' experiences.

That said...I really like the fact that the eGO is lighter weight than the XM-3000. I have only a 2 mile commute, but there's a big hill between me and work, so I need to be able to get up it without trouble. Sounds like you're not having problems with hills where you are...?

Jef

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

Hi Jef

Just my two cents here. You have to take into consideration that people not having problems to solve generally don't search out forums for help. So just about any bike is going to have a negative slant in the forums. The more of them on the road the more posts one would see. I'd be surprised if any single EV brand has anywhere near the bikes in the eGO's class on the road, as eGO does. I've looked at a lot of EV's of all stripes and found two well built enough to own and or sell as a dealer. One of those is still available and it's the eGO. Plus unlike most of the manufacturers eGO has a 6 years plus track record of staying in business. Unlike almost every other manufacturer which has peaked out of the primordial ooozzz in the last decade.

The eGO still has one weak link left which is the polyglass motor sprocket. Once it is replaced with steel the bikes are pretty bullet proof. We have a 2002 model with over 7000 miles on it. The motor was updated but not because it failed. The modern version of the eGO with added cooling blowers can be a real workhorse. Hauling trailers and all kinds of cargo. I don't know very much about the XM-3000 so I can't speak to it. I've become less interested in following each newcomer until they prove that the manufacturers are going to last more than a year.

I would seriously consider the eGO if I were you. An established solid company run by dedicated EV people. Just check out the specs of your hill, your weight and make sure you aren't going to be exceeding recommendations. With a steel motor sprocket and chassis blowers added. I use the eGO for all kinds of tasks without any worry about reliablity what-so-ever. There is a 312 foot elevation difference from my home to the office as well, an 8.6 mile commute one way.

Aerowhatt

JefMurray

Aerowhatt,

Many thanks for the input and recommendations! Yes, I expect it _does_ make sense that most postings will be for problems, not for "success stories".

BTW, any suggestion as to whom to purchase from? I'm in Atlanta, and there are no local dealers, so am going to have to have it shipped in any case. But...I want to find a dealer that can also provide good tech service and support, regardless of what I end up with.

jef

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

It looks like there is one Ga service provider for eGO and a dealer too. One in northern Florida too. Probably best to deal with someone as close to home as possible. Checking up on their track record with support and troubleshooting skills would be prudent. Perhaps ask to talk with a couple of their customers before you buy.

Aerowhatt

eGo-Buddy

We have had our 2006 eGO LX for a couple of years and really like. One issue we have is the breaking of the filaments of the brake/tail lamp, which is not rubber-mounted and so takes any and all bumps the road can deliver. At $10/bulb, this is an unacceptable situation. I am looking into replacing the rear light housing with one that will handle two 12 volt bulbs or LED units.

The charger also burned out earlier this year, two transistors inside apparently exploded for no discernible reason, a bit worrisome, but the replacement appears to be slightly different (updated?). For $110, I hope so.

My rides are generally short and flat, though we are on a slope above the valley floor, perhaps 50-80 feet verticle. I rode it gently for the first several hours as recommended, so I expect decent life from the motor. With a milk crate zip-tied to the rear rack, it makes transport of beer and other essentials easy. I try to not load the handlebar basket, as this tends to throw off handling.

Oh, and we ride dino scooters and motorcycles. It is tempting to try to corner the same on the eGO. I would recommend against this, since the geometry is not the same, and the weight spread is also different, with two batteries and the motor low, and your body high.

Anyway, I definitely recommend the eGO LX. Bear in mind I do not have experience with other EVs, but then, with the eGO, I am not looking for a replacement.

Rear shocks would be nice, though...

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

We have had our 2006 eGO LX for a couple of years and really like. One issue we have is the breaking of the filaments of the brake/tail lamp, which is not rubber-mounted and so takes any and all bumps the road can deliver. At $10/bulb, this is an unacceptable situation. I am looking into replacing the rear light housing with one that will handle two 12 volt bulbs or LED units.

The best solution I have found is a 24volt LED globe. It's a drop in replacement for the original bulb but of three of them we have running there have been no problems. It's just as bright (if not Brighter) than the incandesant and much more durable. Plus lower power drain as well. Below is a link to the product page. the item number is BAY15D2436LR. Yes, you do want red LED's eventhough you have a red lens. The red ones are brighter than if you were to buy white. It doesn't make sense on it's face but just trust me!

http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/LEDReplacementGlobes.html

Aerowhatt

eGo-Buddy

Thanks, Aerowhatt!

When you say there have been no problems, do you mean that your eGO's are not eating bulbs? Or that the LEDs have given you no problems?

Chuck

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

Thanks, Aerowhatt!

When you say there have been no problems, do you mean that your eGO's are not eating bulbs? Or that the LEDs have given you no problems?

Chuck

I mean that the LED globes have worked flawlessly. We had trouble with the regular bulbs too. It was always the brake light filaments. I'm not too keen on periodically running around without a working brake light. I figured it was the voltage hike from the regen braking burning them out. The vibration is pretty severe though too.

Aerowhatt

eGo-Buddy

Glad it was not just me being too rough. Also glad to hear that the LEDs work flawlessly, I have mine on order from the Aussies and got a nice email from Paul saying that it was on its way.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage