VX1 Charger, ICM and MC software package download

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
X Vectrix
VX1 Charger, ICM and MC software package download

Here is a link to download a complete integrated set of firmware for your VX1.

Or go to DugasEngineering.com and follow Vectrix links.

R
R's picture
Re: VX1 Charger, ICM and MC software package download

Thank you!
Are there improvements in this firm package? Do you recommend upgrading firmwares?

Here a small wish list to improve your firmwares:

Set default charge level of charger firms to 130V instead of 160V. At 160V many batteries are be destroyed. Once the vale was reset to 160, really dangerous.

Enable in configurator control of power and voltage for CP, CC and Eq phase.
Lower min charge power from 500 to 200W in EVPS
Lower min voltage per cell in configurator from 2,5V to 1V (for niquel batteries)
Smooth curve power of control cruise.

X Vectrix

Are there improvements in this firm package? Do you recommend upgrading firmwares?
Depends on what you are using now.

Here a small wish list to improve your firmwares:
Set default charge level of charger firms to 130V instead of 160V. At 160V many batteries are be destroyed. Once the vale was reset to 160, really dangerous.
Then dont set it to 160V

Enable in configurator control of power and voltage for CP, CC and Eq phase.
Lower min charge power from 500 to 200W in EVPS
Lower min voltage per cell in configurator from 2,5V to 1V (for niquel batteries)
It is what it is

Smooth curve power of control cruise.
Cruise is fine as is.

framuga

This firmware MC is based on 2042. this firmware has a very serious BUG that causes motorcycle arrest, upRst and stopping the fan control. The firmware for the charger runke has bugs that forget the set parameters.

R
R's picture

I've tested it on my second vectrix, niquel unit with silver ESD charger.
You ESD firmware KILLED MY silver charger after 8 cycles. I Replaced it with EVPS, Your EVPS firmware version worked fine for some more cycles.
I've found another reference of ESD being killed by this firmware:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/14265-replaced-charger-weird-odometer-now-help
Recently had the ESD charger fail on my Leaf converted VX-1. I was able to source a used Runke / EVSP. As my bike had Dugas

My suggestion: DO NOT USE DUGAS FIRMWARE with ESD silver charger.

Then dont set it to 160V

If you install the EVPS firmware and don't set charging value via configurator, the EVPS charges by default at 160V. I can manually set correct voltage through configurator, but if for some reason the value is accidentally reset to default, 160V, and rider does not notice change, the battery would be destroyed.

It is what it is

Yes, I see David. If you had an infinite amount of free time...it could do anything, couldn't it?

Cruise is fine as is.

No, it isn't. Sometimes it accelerates and deaccelerates, accelerates and deaccelerates in cycles. Smoother acceleration curves would reduce this annoying effect.

+wish list:
solve in your firm the UPPRST bug. The MC fan stops working after displaying that dreaded message, and the motorcontroller heats up dramatically, getting damage. If you ever see UPRST, stop immediately and reset your vectrix.

R
R's picture

The firmware for the charger runke has bugs that forget the set parameters.

Really? and when it forgets set parameters, it starts charging at default value, at 160V, destroying the battery?
X Vectrix

Just for the record... "firmware MC is based on 2042" is a meaningless string of words. All the MC FW is incremental changes to FW that existed on the original VX1. MC204X is just the first FW to look at the max cell voltage for Li bikes. All motor controllers have the CANbus silicon bug that causes the uP reset fault.

framuga

The upRst bug is not a BUG of the CAN bus. In fact the upRst bug is present in all MC firmware. Only in some reviews comes out and appears. And also in its David firmware. Is a programming error and concept dragged forever. New firmware will be available soon with that and other bugs fixed. Are now owned by Vectrixparts.

framuga

In fact the upRst bug is present in all MC firmware. Only in some reviews comes out and appears. And also in its David firmware. Is a programming error and concept dragged forever. New firmware will be available soon with that and other bugs fixed. Are now owned by Vectrixparts.

X Vectrix

Framuga
You are out of your league here. The CAN controller of the processor on MC locks up b/c of a silicon bug. The MC SW fault control responds because it no longer is receiving the throttle signal from ICM, and resets the uP to get the CANbus working again. Thats why you can feel a small hiccup when this occurs. The FW is designed to know and store in memory the last state of the controller, and in the case of this fault, the SW will restart and go back to where it was before the fault.

R
No idea what you are talking about with cruise control.
This is what CC looks like with my SW:

CC.JPG

Purple is current and aqua is speed. Looks pretty steady to me.

framuga

You're wrong again. Your firmware does not fix this error. The error I have corrected and is property of Vectrixparts

R
R's picture

This is what CC looks like with my SW:

Interesting picture! observe the top speed fluctuations. Despite the low resolution of the picture, the speed being scaled 0-110km/h, and overlay of the current curve, is it possible to appreciate those speed "peaks", fluctuations. I'm posting an amplified picture of the speed, marking in red some of the peaks (some are be wrong due to overlay of current curve, I apologise)
CC-3.jpg
I'm sure that a smoother accelerating curve, a less aggressive setting, would flatten these top speed peaks.
X Vectrix

CC magnified.JPG

Actual data zoomed in, MPH, about 1 mile's worth.

R
R's picture

and in the case of this fault, the SW will restart and go back to where it was before the fault.

As explained before, the SW reset forgets to enable the fan control of the MC, then the MC board fries up. Only hard reset can put back to work fan control.
R
R's picture

Actual data zoomed in, MPH, about 1 mile's worth.

Perfect! thanks for zooming in. Now we can clearly see the fluctuating speed problem.
X Vectrix

"You're wrong again. Your firmware does not fix this error. The error I have corrected and is property of Vectrixparts"

I never said I fixed this bug. All versions have the bug. However it wasnt until newer versions that it was actually reported on the dash. Older versions just reset the SW and continued on. If you didnt notice the hiccup youd never know it occurred.
And if you reread my posts throughout the years you will see I have explained the fan issue that accompanies the uP reset, and that it is still a mystery as to why the fans dont come back on since the SW executes a complete reset.
However the thermal protection will still kick in and limit power as the IGBT gets hot.

boeingpilot

see below

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

boeingpilot

I've tested it on my second vectrix, niquel unit with silver ESD charger.
You ESD firmware KILLED MY silver charger after 8 cycles. I Replaced it with EVPS, Your EVPS firmware version worked fine for some more cycles.
I've found another reference of ESD being killed by this firmware:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/14265-replaced-charger-weird-odometer-now-help
Recently had the ESD charger fail on my Leaf converted VX-1. I was able to source a used Runke / EVSP. As my bike had Dugas

My suggestion: DO NOT USE DUGAS FIRMWARE with ESD silver charger.

Then dont set it to 160V

If you install the EVPS firmware and don't set charging value via configurator, the EVPS charges by default at 160V. I can manually set correct voltage through configurator, but if for some reason the value is accidentally reset to default, 160V, and rider does not notice change, the battery would be destroyed.

It is what it is

Yes, I see David. If you had an infinite amount of free time...it could do anything, couldn't it?

Cruise is fine as is.

No, it isn't. Sometimes it accelerates and deaccelerates, accelerates and deaccelerates in cycles. Smoother acceleration curves would reduce this annoying effect.

+wish list:
solve in your firm the UPPRST bug. The MC fan stops working after displaying that dreaded message, and the motorcontroller heats up dramatically, getting damage. If you ever see UPRST, stop immediately and reset your vectrix.

Ok, since you've referenced my post, my 2cents...

First of all, if you read the WHOLE thread, you'll notice the problem was my fault, and the charger WAS NOT dead or ruined. I was (inadvertently) running the trial version. Once I figured that out, X-Vectrix was gracious enough to provide me with the proper file. (My ESD died after a full summer of riding, and this was nothing to do with the firmware. I forgot that the files needed a license key and loaded the EVPS files on the replacement charger)

X-Vectrix has been more than kind to answer my (dumb) questions. Using the firmware he provided, both the ESD and the EVPS chargers, I've had NO significant issues. Seeing as tweaking the charging for my Leaf pack was quickly and easily accomplished, I find it more convenient than Laird's (Though I used the Laird's firmware when I had the NiMH pack installed)

As for cruise control, again, it has worked as advertised. I typically don't use it, but do find for longer trips, it keeps me honest so I can stretch my range. The only down side (if it is a down side) is that occasionally if I beep the horn and then go to accelerate, the cruise activates (which is the activation sequence). Other than that no issues noted.

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

framuga

David all the bugs I have already corrected. The fancontrol is not a mystery. Is another concept error. The Big uprst was masked and is another programming bug that has already been fixed. Other functions have been added as control slip and fancontrol improved. You have done a great job, but I think you should not publish a firmware, when it is known to produce important bugs

Jonathanm

I notice on the attached PDF on Davids firmware that the last item states "All SW will be active for 25 power cycles." - what does this mean - on the 26th the system blows up?

X Vectrix

all the bugs I have already corrected. The fancontrol is not a mystery. Is another concept error. The Big uprst was masked and is another programming bug that has already been fixed.

OK I'm all ears. What exactly is a "concept error"? And what do you mean uPRst has been masked? What did you do to fix the fan issue? What is "control slip"?

R
R's picture

what does this mean - on the 26th the system blows up?

on 26th the system refuses to start. Ask Dugas for the correct activation key, the Firmware now is free.
I must admit the configurator is impressive, a pity it cannot be improved.

B*, thanks for clarification, it is hard to remember all users in detail, quite difficult read again all those long posts

(My ESD died after a full summer of riding, and this was nothing to do with the firmware

Just to gather more data, it was programmed with the laird Firmware with EQ during failure?
k-Tracker

Hello David,
thank you for posting firmware files.
I'm converting VX-1 (ESD Charger) to Leaf cells. Mechanical part is finished and I'm now waiting for the CAN adapter.
By some reason I don't see the link here but I downloaded the packaged from DugasEngineering.com
Can you please confirm DE-ESDR03.hex is correct ESD FW that doesn't require the activation any longer? it's dated from July 01,2016 (or it might be the date files were archived).

Can you also please suggest correct configuration parameters for 18 Leaf cells on VX-1 (ESD)?
Thank you in advance.

X Vectrix

k_T
Yes that is the correct file and it does not require activation.
If you are not using a BMS you should be a little conservative, maybe 3.2 to 4.0V to start. Set the AmpHrs to about 75% of actual capacity then adjust from there to scale the gauge till it reads correctly from full charge to full discharge. Let me know when you are setting it up if you need help.

heathyoung

Has anyone modified the 'off the line' current in the MC? Its pretty low, I considered replacing the current sensors with a model that have different gain.

Or is this limited by phase current reaching the 300A that the IGBT module is rated at and I need to look at replacing that with something heftier?

I never see the battery amps exceed more than 230A even when riding hard.

I remember somewhere in Europe saying they had found a way to push the IGBT to 300A (and the speed to 130 - eek!)

k-Tracker

Many thanks, I'll report out as soon as I get it running.

R
R's picture

This is great news for many vectrix owners! Latest version of your firmwares do not require activation? There aren't 25 power cycles any more?
Sacko
Aircon

This is great news for many vectrix owners! Latest version of your firmwares do not require activation? There aren't 25 power cycles any more?

It's been like that for a while now.

I love the concept of it and think it's a life saver. Only two things I don't like about it is the regen is a bit flakey at times and doesn't seem very strong, requiring more use of the disc brakes, and the cruise control is activated by the horn, which is just an accident waiting to happen IMO.

X Vectrix

Aircon
What is your cell configuration? The MAX BUS VOLTAGE in configurator can affect the regen power. However it is limited to 170V max right now to protect the MC.

Jonathanm

I remember somewhere in Europe saying they had found a way to push the IGBT to 300A (and the speed to 130 - eek!)

I understand that you have to very careful exceeding 110 km/h as it is possible for the magnets to separate themselves from the wheel hubs. If this happens at that speed - I don't think it would be very pretty - David has commented on this before and I think given his experience it would be wise to listen concerning the older bikes - the new bikes may be ok for this, but I have no idea...

Jonathan

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage