Small brushless RC motors 6-7 kw peak!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
andrew
andrew's picture
Small brushless RC motors 6-7 kw peak!

After reading Matt Shumaker's project page: "My E-cumbent" I contacted him about any recommendations for very high power brushless RC motors. He recommended this:
HXT 80-100-A 180Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)

There's also this one at a slightly lower rpm/v and power:
HXT 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)

An RC controller can be used for them with details in Matt's project page.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Small brushless RC motors 6-7 kw peak!

These motors are amazing - however I wonder if they're too "over stressed" in some way? If not, then I hope the Chen brothers take note for their next set of bikes...

:-)

BTW - this guy is an amazing machinist! The conversion looks fantastic. It's kind of ironic though - because if I understood things right part of his motivation was that the "good after market kits cost too much". If you add up his time and materials this is going to be one VERY expensive bike. But it sure is going to be a "best in class" bike.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

SPEDcial Forces

Well, He's going to be going much faster than anyone who spent the same amount of money. He has a very brilliant design.

And compared to $4000 for a 2kw crystalite motor...well, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

If you factor in his time as a skilled machinist then I bet he's spent twice the price of that Crystalite (and arguably gets a product that is more than twice as good).

I agree the design looks great, and the end result looks absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough good things about the quality of the project - I wish I had the skill and the time to produce something like that.

Also, if you take out all the custom stuff and just look at the cost of motor and controller then the RC crowd certainly offers some great bargains. Those motors that andrew links to are only $150 each. That's a bargain for a 7kW peak output motor.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

noobster
noobster's picture

wow! now where to find a controller...

go green

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Where are you looking to find a Crystalyte for $4000? There like less than $500, and they're capable of much more than 2kW. :/

Look around the R/C sites for matching controllers. Though you'll have a hard time finding one above 48V. Those run at like 100+A, however.

Also, I saw a video of this thing. The description says it takes 30 seconds to reach 30mph. I wonder if it was a misprint...?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

andrew
andrew's picture

I have the 180 rpm/v motor linked above. It came as a Turnigy brand motor with a slightly different housing, and gold in color in the ends instead of purple. The model number is C80100-180 (similar to HXT80-100-A of above motor), and the weight and size are similar, so I think it's a comparable motor.

My guess of the model number C80100-180 is:
C80: Replaces 80 cc gas engine for RC aircraft
100: continuous current
180: rpm/v speed constant

I put some more comments here:
Re: Scooter/Motorcycle Motor

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage