Yellow Wrench and CanBus message while riding

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
fost5097
Yellow Wrench and CanBus message while riding

Something strange happened to me yesterday while riding. I got a brief power surge then the Yellow Wrench light came on and the word CanBus appeared in the trip mileage area. I still had about half battery charge. I stopped and turned the bike off, waited a minute or so and turned back on. The bike went thru it's normal start-up procedure and everything was normal after that. No Yellow Wrench and No CanBus. I am not as learned as some you you guys. Any ideas?

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Yellow Wrench and CanBus message while riding

Same thing happened to me on my first ride with the updated software. First it happened when I was standing still and with kill switch in off position I was checking for the temperature and voltage by holding the rear brake. Then I rode for 1 km and the bike twitched and yellow wrench appeared with CANBUS message. I stopped but did not turn off the bike. Both, the telltale and the message were gone after 30 seconds or so and I could drive on.
This never reappeared again.

This may be a software bug at source's communication channel which causes the other part of the hardware not to understand what the communication is about and reports an error. But this is a wind guess on my part ;-)

moccasin
moccasin's picture

In the computer world, we call them "glitches" or "hiccups". Nothing to worry about. Just a blip in the information flow of the operating system. Sometimes these bikes are so much fun, it's easy to forget that we are riding nothing more than a computer with wheels. :-)

fost5097

Thanks everyone. This relieves my anxiety about it. Computer on Wheels? Hum, where is the (ctrl)(alt)(del) buttons?

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Thanks everyone. This relieves my anxiety about it. Computer on Wheels? Hum, where is the (ctrl)(alt)(del) buttons?

Those would be located directly below the handlebars. They'll be easy to find, as there's a big red KEY stuck in them! HAHA!! ;-)

X Vectrix

This is an annoying occurance that is completely random in nature and unavoidable. The root cause is a silicon bug in one of the processors. Under certain CANbus activity one of the CAN modules will stop accepting messages. When this happens the SW detects a CANbus error and resets the processor. This is the only way to restart the CAN module. The little bump you feel is an instantaneous loss of power as the reset occurs and the SW picks up where it left off. If this was a real emergency (continuous CAN errors) the power would shut down. It is completely dependent on random variations in the silicon manufacturing process and even on the slight tolerances of the processor clock. Most bikes will never see it. Its annoying but harmless.

Mik
Mik's picture

This thread has been added to the Vectrix Collaborative Handbook, please stay on topic!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

turok
turok's picture

I had exactly the same 'hiccup' after , say, my second charge. I had just received the (2008) bike with the new (06/2009) software. Never seen it back again with 2300 km done.

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

undead

I get this very very very rarely. Never had more than a small "bump" or most of the time, just the message.

Never gone as far as the power to shut down.

I do still get the odd ENCODR message, really need to clear out the encoder housing at some point

Pawel Koch

Good evening everyone,
I'm new on the forum, but feel free to call me if you need any technical assistance. Together with Steve and Doug, I will do my best to help you with present doubts, demands and failures.
"Canbus" actually is not a disadvantage message unless it comes often. If so, the problem is hidden in the Motorocontroller and you will be forced to exchange it anyway.
Concerning ECNCODR message: I would suggest to clean the encoder with a sprying Isopropyl alcohol which evaporate quickly.. For example we tested TUNAP 375 which gave us very promising results.

Hope this helps.

Best
Pawel

Pawel Koch
Technical Manager
Vectrix Sp.z.o.o

Mik
Mik's picture

Good evening everyone,
I'm new on the forum, but feel free to call me if you need any technical assistance. Together with Steve and Doug, I will do my best to help you with present doubts, demands and failures.
"Canbus" actually is not a disadvantage message unless it comes often. If so, the problem is hidden in the Motorocontroller and you will be forced to exchange it anyway.
Concerning ECNCODR message: I would suggest to clean the encoder with a sprying Isopropyl alcohol which evaporate quickly.. For example we tested TUNAP 375 which gave us very promising results.

Hope this helps.

Best
Pawel

Welcome to the forum and thank you for contributing!

The dust in the Encoder housing - what is it?

Pawel Koch

It might be caused by two different issues. The first is that someone didn't provide our procedures and somehow the encoder cover didn't protect against the dust coming from the road. The second one is that the gasket which goes under the engine shaft is not tight and this cause the leakage from the gearbox and occur error message.
Also, encoder message might be caused by encoder wire or MC as well. So many things to ispect..
Best
Pawel

Pawel Koch
Technical Manager
Vectrix Sp.z.o.o

Mik
Mik's picture

Ah, thanks!

I mean what causes the black dust apparently coming from inside the motor. Would anything coming from the gearbox not be oily?

Here is a thread where we have discussed this a bit already: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6461-encodr-and-yellow-wrench-error-message#comment-41598

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Thankyou X-Xectrix and welcome and thankyou also Pawel!!!
I had always guessed theat the yellow wrench was unharmful "bug" it happens too randomly and only like 2 times in 4300 kms. Also 2 times one after the other the day i got my Vec back from its gearbox replacement.
Im sure with all the "official" support and other peoples support (Mik, etc..) this is going to be a good reason for keeping our bikes working for a while.
RaDy

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage