XP 700 Batteries - Dead?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
PaulEvan
XP 700 Batteries - Dead?

Anyone have experience with XP 700s - Electric pocket bikes? I was given (2) bikes, that each have (3) batteries - all (6) batteries were bone dry. I filled them up with distilled water and am charging them now. I don't know how long they were sitting dry but is it possible to 'bring them back from the dead'? Each battery is a 12 Volt 12Ah/5HR sealed lead (6-DZM-12 Yuhang) battery. Each of the (6) have (6) removable rubber 'cell' covers that I have filled with distilled water. I also have a Cag, (2) other electric bikes and another 49cc that I'm putting back together. Thanks in advance - any advice would be appreciated.

andys
andys's picture
Re: XP 700 Batteries - Dead?

I have not had any luck bringing back totally dead small LA batteries, especially if they have sat in that condition for a period of time. It can't hurt to try. At least those are a very common size and not to expensive to to replace.

ebay - RBC 6 APC REPLACEMENT BATTERIES - 2 12V 12AH

Link edited by moderator. Please use the link feature by clicking the little world icon.

andrew
andrew's picture

That's way too much water! Absorbed glass mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries have a very small amount of electrolyte completely absorbed in the glass mat cell separating material. The glass mat is not completely saturated, so if you turn the battery upside down, it will not normally leak acid. Even with the proper electrolyte level, they may appear dry.

The amount of water to add is a very small amount. I would only add 1/2 ml to start with for this size battery. 1/2 ml is about 0.1 teaspoons.

But, don't poor the electrolyte out! What you need to do now, is overcharge the batteries so they will vent off hydrogen and oxygen (or the elements of the excess water). This way the acid won't be lost. Remove the rubber cell covers first. Use an automotive taper charger designed for flooded lead-acid. This process will also help reverse any severe sulfation. The battery may get hot, so it is a good idea to place in a bucket of water below the battery top level to keep it cool. Also the bucket will contain any acid that tends to bubble out.

An alternative method is to keep the rubber cell covers on, and put the plastic top covers on loosely, then tape it on with a piece of electrical tape wrapped loosely all the way around the battery, but not very tight! Put two pieces of tape, one on each end. This will ensure that the pressure can be relieved without causing the battery to bulge or explode. This will also ensure that not as much acid is lost as by removing the rubber covers.

In either case, charge the battery until the electrolyte pooling on top of the plates is gone. And use a fan to keep the area well ventilated or do this outside. Wear safety glasses when near the batteries! If you don't have any safety glasses, then get some please, or don't do this procedure, and just throw the batteries away. Also be advised that acid tends to eat clothing and you may not know it's on you until it eats through. This is why I would do this in a bucket to contain any acid that bubbles out as this stuff tends to corrode anything.

You can load test the batteries during the process. With too much water, the batteries will drop too much in voltage when loaded. And, the open circuit voltage may also be low. It should be around 13v when you take them off the charger.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

strawhistle

And do not just throw them away ,please find a local recycler , or ask the pop can recycler were to go !! Later

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

PaulEvan

The batteries have been on a 'trickle charger' for (3) days now - with my luck and knowledge I believe I will just replace them and dispose or them where I buy the new ones. Thanks for all the informative advice - great forum!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage