New pack wiring geometry for "Hummer."

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
mf70
New pack wiring geometry for "Hummer."

All:

Just an FYI on current activity:

My "Hummer" started life as a Yonkang Crown 700W scoot, with a 48V series pack. Pack wiring was 14GA, which other posts have deemed adequate.

I just rewired the pack to implement a parallel to the charging jack, with a series jumper plug for normal operation, and a parallel plug for charging.

The new pack wiring is all 10GA, and the charging/jumper plug is Anderson PowerPole 40A. Materials came form Powerwerwerx.com, and were delivered quickly.

Each battery has a pair of 10GA wires running to the eight-contact jack in the seat. I made up a jumper plug that "wires" the batteries into a 48V series string. The main circuit breaker is also part of the jumper plug, so potential can be removed before inserting or removing the plug, reducing arcing. Total wire length is probably around five feet, up from ~3 feet of 14GA. Of course, now full pack amps go through six Anderson connectors as well (the most negative and most-positive battery posts in the pack are permanently wired into the scoot).

Charge gets to the batteries via two four-contact Anderson connectors. Since my old charging system had four parallel Vector 2.5/6/10 chargers, I was able to use two of the chargers, allowing faster charge times. Since each charger is on a completely separate cable/plug, they will be plugged into either charger "A" or "B" randomly. For charging, I now have two 12V parallel strings.

First day's ride seems to show less pack sag than before, and equal or better power. I still have 3' of 14GA wire from the controller to the motor, but I don't want to upgrade that in case that was helping to avoid overheating the motor.

Mark

The scoot

The scoot

The scoot

The scoot

The scoot

The scoot

The scoot

integra 2.2t
integra 2.2t's picture
Re: New pack wiring geometry for "Hummer."

so if i understand this right you are charging the batt. as 4 x 12volt ?

if so just watch your volts when charging so all the packs will peak at the same volts and discharg the same ... if not the lower batt voltage will pull the rest down

can you post a pict ?

thanks P.

()_()
(o.0)
(> <) .... never trust a bunny !!!

mf70

I ~hope~ that charging the batteries in parallel (2 strings @ 2x12) will allow a battery of smaller capacity to accept as much as it can, while not limiting the healthier battery. Basically, its internal resistance will go up and divert charging current to the battery that can use it more.

The jumper plug then rewires to pack to a series string. I'll still have to watch the pack on discharge, as a "short" battery will be discharged before its neighbors.

I'm looking at a Lee Heart circuit that lights a LED if there is an imbalance in the pack, but still thinking about four small voltage readouts, or four "alert" LED's that would signal a marginal battery.

I'll get some photo's up.

Mark

mf70

Here are some picures:
The "battery level" under the seat: wiring is fairly straightforward.
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/Batterylevel.jpg)

The battery jack in the seat bucket. The sticks on either side allow me to slip the jack out "backwards" rather than feeding it and its cabling out through the seat bucket on every disassembly.
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/Batterysocket.jpg)

The "Jumper Plug" closeup. This rewires the pack to series.
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/Jumperplugcloseup.jpg)

The complete Jumper Plug. I put the main circuit breaker in the loop, since it is only needed when in 48V mode.
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/JumperPlugcomplete.jpg)

The "Charger Plugs" in place. Having two avoids beating the batts with the same charger all the time, and doubles the maximum charge rate (not often needed).
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/ChargerPlugs.jpg)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage