Vectrix Videos

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
oobflyer
oobflyer's picture
Vectrix Videos
tom5007
Re: Vectrix Videos

Very nice videos. Also it is raining outside and horribly cold your videos made me feel like going out for a ride would be lots of fun now. You are spoiled with great weather!!! Enjoy!.

Norman

Anybody make any videos lately?

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YGJj9Qmpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PVuH8MEMu0
------------

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Very nicely done, and with one hand too!!! ;-)

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Indeed. I miss driving my Vectrix every bad weather day we have here now.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Cool videos, i will soon be getting that type of weather, but i enjoy the Vectrix anyway. Today it rained over here and i had my first few skids. Basically they happen when i start off from a signal at full blast on top of pavement paint lines, and also when breaking hard on top of them!! My first wet experience!

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Today it rained over here and i had my first few skids. Basically they happen when i start off from a signal at full blast on top of pavement paint lines, and also when breaking hard on top of them!! My first wet experience!

Painted lines are also very slick under your feet, and have caused quite a lot of tip-overs over the years. They should be treated like loose sand or ice. Don't stop, sit or take off on them if you can avoid it!

RaDy
RaDy's picture

I have experience in wet, the thing is that with the Vectrix it has a greater effect on starting off, because off all the torque instantly and when breaking i suppose its because applying the re-gen and the back brake at the same time, also adds to the normal amount of skid.
Im still getting used to it.
Reffering to the tyre pressure i instanltly notice when its gone low because of the greater resistance when "gliding" (or is it coasting?).
I comented on the easy skid of the bike to the dealer, and he told me that the pirelli tyres are very good but he knows of a client that has put Michelin in the Vectrix and says that they have better grip, well, has anyone changed tyres to anything other than the original PirelliĀ“s and noticed any difference?

Mik
Mik's picture

I have experience in wet, the thing is that with the Vectrix it has a greater effect on starting off, because off all the torque instantly and when breaking i suppose its because applying the re-gen and the back brake at the same time, also adds to the normal amount of skid.
Im still getting used to it.
Reffering to the tyre pressure i instanltly notice when its gone low because of the greater resistance when "gliding" (or is it coasting?).
I comented on the easy skid of the bike to the dealer, and he told me that the pirelli tyres are very good but he knows of a client that has put Michelin in the Vectrix and says that they have better grip, well, has anyone changed tyres to anything other than the original PirelliĀ“s and noticed any difference?

I find it almost impossible to loose grip during acceleration, except on wet grass or gravel (no ice or snow around here). But once the wheel spins freely/slips, it really does so very fast, because the power delivery increases as the perceived speed goes up.

It should be possible to include an anti-slip feature into the software: if the speed goes up faster than the Vectrix can possibly achieve on a steep downhill road, then the wheel must be slipping. The electronics can detect this and reduce power.

Keep your hands off the rear disk brake when you use regen, or vice versa. You block the wheel, then regen turns itself off instantaneously and you loose some braking power. It's a very unstable situation.

Maybe your Vectrix is programmed differently than others if you get all that torque instantly? The ramp-up is most likely an adjustable software feature. Have you ever measured acceleration time to 80km/h or to 100km/h? That could help to clarify if you have more torque off the line than others.

And stay away from those white lines during braking, accelerating and cornering.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antwilkinson

I noticed on the videos the blue full beam light was on. Anyone else use full beam in the daytime?

RaDy
RaDy's picture

I find it almost impossible to loose grip during acceleration, except on wet grass or gravel (no ice or snow around here). But once the wheel spins freely/slips, it really does so very fast, because the power delivery increases as the perceived speed goes up.

It should be possible to include an anti-slip feature into the software: if the speed goes up faster than the Vectrix can possibly achieve on a steep downhill road, then the wheel must be slipping. The electronics can detect this and reduce power.

Keep your hands off the rear disk brake when you use regen, or vice versa. You block the wheel, then regen turns itself off instantaneously and you loose some braking power. It's a very unstable situation.

Maybe your Vectrix is programmed differently than others if you get all that torque instantly? The ramp-up is most likely an adjustable software feature. Have you ever measured acceleration time to 80km/h or to 100km/h? That could help to clarify if you have more torque off the line than others.

And stay away from those white lines during braking, accelerating and cornering.

Maybe skidding from start off add the following circumstances :
1. The pavement is wet and make the white lines very dangerous
2. Electric engine full torque immediately
3. The Pirelli tyres are very very new

Its only happened once,but i could try provoking it again when tyres wear out a bit more.
Reffering to the brakes, i am really thinking of the possibility of swaping them around.

Mik
Mik's picture

Maybe skidding from start off add the following circumstances :

2. Electric engine full torque immediately

Its only happened once,but i could try provoking it again when tyres wear out a bit more.

The Vectrix engines current draw and power + torque delivery is severely restricted below speeds of about 45km/h.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Although its restricted to not burn the whole tyre in one full blast start off, it still has enough torque to make the wheel spin, at least in wet conditions on top of pavement paint signs. Try it. (Or maybe it only works with brand new tyres and spanish low quality pavement paint! :) )

AndY1
AndY1's picture

That's a nice new video you posted oobflyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKa4EdVxaY

Hands0n

Re slipping in the wet and on white lines. Lets deal with the wet first ... Riding my Vectrix throughout the UK winter has not seen the scooter slip in the wet once. It is on the OEM Pirelli tyres. What the Vectrix offers over any ICE powered bike is smooth and progressive delivery of the torque. I would suggest that if the Vectrix is slipping in the wet under acceleration that the rider needs to moderate control of the twistgrip. It is infintely variable from zero to full throttle. Careful and progressive use of the twistgrip will not only result in a safer pull-away, even on wet steel manhole covers, but also give an improved range per charge.

Okay, I admit, it is tremendous fun whacking the throttle to full and see the Vectrix eliminate all but the more determined competition. But surely not in the wet?

Next the white lines - as others have said on this thread ... stay off them if you can! These lines also have a glass content that becomes very slippy in the wet, even underfoot. There is probably little to no reason to actually be riding along the white lines anyway. To be on them you are probably not in the best position in the road relative to other road users anyway. And for the life of me I cannot think of one single good reason to be riding along on a white line anyway :)

Back on topic - Videos .... I noticed the original poster was holding the camera in their hand! No, I do not work for Elf n Safety ... but it does strike me as a tad dangerous. Some of that elastic ribbon used by dressmakers and some velcro can soon be fashioned into a camera strap to mount on the bike or, better still, the crash helmet.

I hope to run off a few videos of riding the Vectrix in the Garden of England (that is Kent to those not in the know :) ) which has some delightful roads and country lanes. Range prohibits taking the Vectrix out on a run to Camber or other Kent biker's delights. But the Wealde is especially glorious in summer ...

RaDy
RaDy's picture

I was actually reffering to the white lines of the pedestrian crossings, those thick lines. Specially when i give a turn and are corssing one of these.
Although it hasnt happened to me anymore. i think it was really a matter of very very new tyres and to tell you the truth, possibly also very very new paint on the road.(It happened at least 2 times in the same place).

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage