- All Forums
- EV Racing
- Electric Rides
- Electric Technology
- Community Marketplace
- V Forum
- Recent posts
- My ...
- Sign in
Submitted by Gendronw on Sat, 03/14/2009 - 18:13
Hi folks !
I am sorry I did not post anything new since a long time. My batteries died and winter arrived, so I was not in a mood to write anything new. But now spring is at our door ! There is still a lot of snow outside, but in a month or two I should be able to ride my Ebike Again !
Here is a picture of my backyard:
The little story of my batteries
When I first bought the bike, I paid a ridiculous price (200$) because the motor(or maybe the controller) and the batteries were dead. During the first week, I charged the four 12v batteries in parallel using the 12v output of a computer power supply. When I first received the batteries each one had about 2 to 3 volts of charge in them, but they were not completely dead. They had pass all winter without charge probably in cold condition. After one week of about 8hours of charge per day (I wanted to check them while they were charging to be sure nothing burns !) I was able to put them in series again, and charge them using the included charger. After that it took about two 2 charges of about 6hours using the 48v charger before the light finally turn green ! At this point I don't think the batteries were as good as new, but at least the voltage was right, so they would be able to turn the 48v motors !
At this point I tought the rest of the bike was O.K. But the bike really had problem at start. When I was already moving everything was fine, but starting from a stop did not work every time. After about 1/3 of the kilometer, it died. Nothing was working anymore. That's when I decided to move to XB-600 motor and controller.
After the long modification of the bike, I finally was able to ride the bike again for about two weeks. At first I was able to do about 3 kilometers, but it seems like each time I used the bike, the batteries were giving me more juice. The second ride was about 6km, and so on. Until one day I decided to make it all the way around the city ! This was the first time I depleted the batteries completely. I was able to do about 15km !! But for the last kilometers the bike was litterally crawling at about 2 to 3 Km/h, and the voltage cutoff of the controller was happening all the time when I was putting the accelerator to the floor. I waited until next morning to charge the batteries(big mistake !) and after I plugged them in the charger I went to Work. When I came back about 9 to 10 hours later, the light on the charger was still red ! And there was a really bad smell of sulphur in the air ! Normally after a normal ride, the batteries took about 6 hours to charge !
I opened the batteries case and found their form has changed ! They were once cubic, and now they were round ! Not like a ball, but their original form has changed. Since winter was to begin, I did not bought new batteries at that time. But now is the time ! I am still not sure If I will invest in lifepo4 batteries, I know they are a lot better than lead acid batteries, but I'm not sure If I want to put my ebike battery on Credit !
I think I will not continue using two 48v battery in parallel. The experience was not that conclusive. It add a lot of weight to the bike, so the range is not really better. There was also a lost of power, because I used too small wires to connect everything together. I will probably rewire only one battery pack to the controller using big wire(something like 10awg or 12awg) with the smallest length possible to get the most out of that battery pack....maybe ShuntMod later !
So my blog is back !
I'll keep you in touch with my next mod !