- All Forums
- EV Racing
- Electric Rides
- Electric Technology
- Community Marketplace
- V Forum
- Recent posts
- My ...
- Sign in
HONDA CBR 600 F3 CONVERSION...FORWARD PROGRESS
Submitted by racermike39 on Tue, 04/29/2008 - 18:12
Over the past couple of weeks, some forward progress has been made. I was able to finish the re-sealing of the front forks. I had to special order some bolts that were destroyed during dis-assembly from the Honda dealer to finish the job. The new front tire has been mounted and balanced, and the front end is now back together. The D&D ES-15A motor arrived last week, and I spent the better part of Saturday making mounts. The motor mounts are done! The motor is in position and ready to be wired.
The chain has been cut to length. I purchased a 520 motorcycle chain so it would fit the rear sprocket correctly, and modified the #50 pitch front sprocket to fit the chain. .100" had to be removed from the width of the #50 sprocket, and the slight angle on the tip of the teeth had to be redone.
To get the motor shaft exactly in line with the swing arm, I had to notch the frame 1/4". I did not want to do it, but now that it is done, it was worth it.
I welded in a piece of steel to put the strength back in, and painted the affected area.
The motor fits nice, and looks like it belongs there.
I had to modify the fairing just a little to clear the motor. The motor does not stick out any further than the ICE, it is just raised up a litte higher than the ICE transmission case was.
All the electronic arrived Saturday. I ordered everything from Kelly Controls, and it all was shipped from China. It only took about 2 weeks from order placement to arrival. I was very pleased. Now it is time to mount all of this stuff.
After reading through the instruction guide for the controller, I realized the throttle input on the high power Kelly controllers needs a 0-5 Volt throttle. OOPS. I waisted some time and money on the PB-6. I have found a 0-5 Volt potentiometer used in race car data aquisition systems. It is very rugged, and easy to adapt to a throttle cable. It's a little more $ than a PB-6. But it should last forever. That's it for now. I hope to get to mounting the electronics and get some basic wiring done this weekend. The next major plung will be batteries and chargers. Just wanted to thank all who have helped with info and encouragement, and interest! This is getting very exciting. A test ride could be just a week or so away!