For the last ~6 months or so i have been building electric trikes,
In all i have fabricated 4 frames of which 2 have made it to completion
the other two scrapped in favor of the "upgraded/improved version'
This "worklog" below is a condensed version of the 40 page worklog
this condensed version containing ONLY the latest
Today i just finished re-assembly after the prep/paint process sooo...
The idea behind this project aside from the "fun factor"and getting me away from the PC modding scene which for the last 8 or so years has taken up ALOT of my time and $$$..was to fabricate something 'environmentally friendly' that would be useful for getting my ass to the local shops and pub. The reason for a trike is due to me being a paraplegic, thus a 'standard' two wheel bicycle wasn't an option...By law this trike ISN'T legal for on road use (i will be using it anywayz, mainly on bike path which is also illegal but meh...) W.A electric assisted bicycle laws state that maximum motor size is 200watt and the bicycle must have operative pedals...mine complies to neither BUT i do have a 200watt sticker Photochopped up for the motor hehehe the pedals, well...lets hope the Police let that slide seeing i can't use pedals anywayz...
I decided after much research and alot of help from a handful of members on particular forum (i can't recommend it, it is very poorly run ...which is a bit unfortunate there are some great fellas there...but, i digress...)...I decided to to go with a 'non hub motor'setup, this would entail a 1000watt 4 brushed electric motor running a jackshaft arrangement driving a rear wheel through the trikes derailleur/gears.
The motor and sprockets were sourced from a U.S company TNC Scooters while the speed controller (3rd one blew the first two were cheapies from TNC) came from Kelly Speed Controllers Brakes, front and rear hubs and the rear 'trike conversion' along with disk brakes where purchased from ChoppersUS Everything else used 'bicycle wise' (aside from tires) were sourced from the side of the road during Curbside collection, the tubing used was purchased from Impressive Steel...cost around 60 bucks to build the frame and springer forks, i bought a Pipe bender off EBay to bend the tubing along with a gas lees mig welder to weld it up...
Here's a few pics of the stages of the project...
Once i had the trike to this stage (in above pic) I rode it around for a
month or so making small adjustments as needed. The trike at
that stage had a top speed of 79km in second gear, Unfortunately
at that stage i didnt have a gear leaver to change gears, that has since been rectified hehe.. (Realistic top speed is in excess of 100km/hr, I'm not really interested in traveling much over 40km/hr though due to the fact bicycle tyres/rims simply aren't designed for this purpose, i want FAST acceleration) with the trikes 'bugs' ironed out and gearing sorted i proceeded to strip the bike for prepping and painting, few pics of that process below-->
At this point the majority of the painting was complete, the frame was sanded with
400 grit then hit with 2 coats of etch primer followed by a coat of primer filler
then 4 coats of Matt Black paint...
With the frame complete the springer forks were prepped in the same
manner and also hit with Matt black paint...
With the both frame AND forks painted installing the stainless steel braided brake housing was the next course of action followed by installing disk brakes calipers-->
With the anchors ready for action a battery box was knocked up to hold the 4 12volt 18ah slas batteries...I decided i would use plywood and aluminium angle for the battery box. I had orginally wanted to use a newer battery technology, when i started this project the Aussie Dollar hadnt taken a nose dive yet and 48v 20ah Lifep04 batteries
were well under 700 dollars, NOW they are up over a grand, a lil too rich for my blood at this time, when i do get the newer battery tech though it will push the trikes range out to double what it is now, currently 20km at around 30km/hr would be achievable, faster you go the less distance you go...
Once the basic box had been cut out, i used 88 self taping screws to attach aluminum angle to the corners to hold the box together, once done it was painted up came up alot like this-->
OH LOOK!!!11oneone its ME :-P
As mentioned earlier i finished wiring up the trikes electrics this arvo, the final shots
for now (i still have a rear tray to build and fit, need somewhere to put the cartooon of beer :-) )
I only need to fit the chain and adjust the Deore Rapid Fire Shifter and i can takez him for a blat :-)
For now that's it, it has been a fun project and given me a glimpse into the performance of electrics albeit on a 'bicycle' scale. With the ever increasing rise in OIL we are surely to see more hybrid and electric cars on our roads, unfortunately whats holding back the advancement is the battery technology, it is there but frightfully expensive...Anywayz, hope this has been of interest to those that took the time to have a geeko, if you would like to see the full 40 page worklog containing ALL work done from the start including the other 3 frames head on over to either
I have also got a few videos of the trike in action the latest can be viewed on Youtube
Happy to answer any questions...OH, im sure someone will ask "how much does it cost" well, good question the short answer is "I don't know" i didn't keep track, suffice to say well under 1000 dollars to the stage seen in pics, prolly in the 800 dollar range (factor in my time THOUSANDS LoL)
Thanks for lookin