The following is a (tongue-in-cheek) public service announcement...
It seems that every now and then a die-hard dinosaur* will start posting in threads about why EV's will never work. They then throw out the same old tired old arguments. What do they expect? That the readers of this forum will slap themselves on the forehead and say "Gosh, s/he's right. EV's are a complete waste of time!".
Dinosaurs I'll save you some time. It ain't ever going to happen. We are very, very, very likely to have heard your argument many, many, many times before. We think we've got an answer to your proposed issue. We might be right or we might be wrong. Chances are that we'll all just have to agree to differ. Be warned though that if you're obnoxious**** with how you choose to communicate that argument then the feisty ones amongst us will likely pour gas onto the argument before we agree to differ.
But for cryin' out loud. We've heard most of it before. If you want to offer a counter-point that's great. I've hung around these forums for 3 or more years. Most of the folks are happy to debate and discuss. Just don't expect to win many converts*** Also, be respectful of threads contents.
* Err, when I say "dinosaur" I mean well meaning folks with a contrary** point of view.
** Err, when I say "contrary" I don't mean "contrary to the universe" - I mean "contrary to a forum called V is for Voltage".
*** Perhaps you'd feel more at home on the "O is for Oil-burners" forum?
**** You likely know who you are - and if you don't then go read "Miss Manners" or something.
Here's a handy list of tired old arguments we've heard before.
- Electricity is dirty too so why bother with EVs?
- EV's are too expensive no one will buy them.
- EV's are so expensive you'll never get a return on investment.
- Oil won't run out any time soon so why bother with EVs?
- Global warming isn't a problem so why bother with EVs?
- EV's don't go far enough (for me) so why should anyone bother with EVs?
- Gas scooters are cheap and don't use much gas just buy one of them instead of an EV
- EV's are a fad. When the public moves on so will the manufacturers.
These are just off the top of my head. I have reasonably cogent answers for all of them. Other posters to this forum likely have different answers - some of them a lot better than mine.
If you have others that I've missed post them here. If one of 'em calls your name and you want to discuss it then do so here. If you want to call me a pompous a$$ then do so here.
However, don't bog down threads with general "EV's suck" propaganda. Go post that on "O is for Oil-Burners"...