NiZn Batteris

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
benjaminm
NiZn Batteris

Hello my name is Ben and I am currently working on creating a microbial fuel cell in order to generate power that I hope to store in depleted Nickel-Zinc batteries. I felt that these are the most cost effective and efficient for my experiment. I estimate to be producing an electric current of about 2v and I was wondering if these batteries would be a good decision for my cause. Also I am unsure as to what voltage battery to purchase, how I should connect the wire from the fuel cell to the batteries, and were I should purchase a somewhat large quantity of them. I plan to be charging many batteries as my expirement will take place over the course of 7 days (or at least as many batteries as that time period will permit). Any advice is appreciated. Please keep in mind that Lithium batteries are out of my price range.

7circle
7circle's picture
Re: NiZn Batteris

Hi Ben
Interesting project. A Microbial Fuel Cell that can generate 2.00 Volts of potential.

Can you isolate each cell and series 6 of them so you get 12.00 Volts.

Controlling currents and using a Maximum Power Point Tracker like on solar cells is what you need to be considering.

It doesn't matter what cell chemistry you use, as series connection and DC/DC inductive coupling allows for a controlled current path to any other potential.

If you want to keep costs down use easily available mass produced off the shelf parts, that are known to be very efficient.

What type of microbes are you considering, mine just stay to my private parts and keep me in check. hee hee.

7ยข

marylandbob

More details/information is needed. What is the output AMPERAGE of your 2 volt fuel cell? Is there more than one fuel cell output, and may they be connected in series, so that 10 fuel cells make 20 volts?-Bob

Robert M. Curry

benjaminm

I am only making one small scale cell. I am using Geobacter Microbes. I really wont know amperage untill i begin to expiriment. Once i get a reading with a resistor I will post more. It will probably take me a few weeks to get the materials together and begin experimentation

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage