HyBike electric Bicycles

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
jritz1701
HyBike electric Bicycles
AttachmentSize
Image icon IMG_1682.JPG33.21 KB

has anyone had any experienced with the HyBike electric bicycles from HyBikes based out of Phoenix, AZ?

HyBikes

kensrichman
Re: HyBike electric Bicycles

i've had the bike for about 5 months. i ended up deciding on the hybike because i talked with the owner and was able to get the bike with only $200 down and no interest financing. i ended up paying the bike off this month and spent around $850 total. for that price, the bike is great if you plan to use it to commute to and from work or to a few places a day (you get about 30 miles per charge). i live about 10 miles from work so I usually drive it on the weekdays. it's held up great and i haven't had to do any upkeep since getting it. the charger isn't too big, so if i know i may use the bike for longer than 30 miles, i'll throw it in my bag. my one complaint is that the display can be hard to see when it's really sunny, but it's not like you really need to see it to get around... there are three gears on the bike that you can easily switch to with the handlebar lever. you rev the handle bar to use the electric bike part, or you can just peddle. it picks up surprisingly quickly. i would definitely recommend it if you just need something to commute under 30 miles a day. I have to charge my bike every night normally, which isn't a problem because the battery comes out pretty easily. let me know if you have questions, i'd love to answer them :) i'm in portland if you'd like try my bike out. i wasn't able to ride one before buying which would have made it a lot easier deciding.

jritz1701

Thanks very much for your feed back. I've had the bike for about 2 weeks now. I've found that it gets 14/15 miles round trip which isn't bad since I really do not do very much pedaling. I've noticed that cold temperatures and inclement weather will reduce that range a bit. It does the job and gets me back and forth to work. Since there are no local dealers, I ordered the bike directly from their main distributor in Phoenix AZ. With the 1 year warranty -- the best in the electric bicycle industry that I have seen so far. Other than some minor shipping damage, the bike is fantastic.

Jeff Ritz

Ackpfft

I also bought the bike from "Dave" at the Arizona site. It arrived looking like it was used for batting practice. The electrical wiring is torn up, the pedals don't propel the bike, and although the bike runs, there are no headlights, blinkers or brake lights. Dave (rotten little ferret) sent me 50 miles to a bike shop to get it repaired. The people at the shop were nice enough, but had NO experience in electrical wiring. So I drove 100 miles RT for nothing. I asked Dave to email me a shipping label so I could send the bike back, and get a new bike I had paid for. He wouldn't do it. He said I could ship it back at my own cost (which would bring the total cost of the bike to $1500.00) So basically I paid $900.00 for a lemon. The bike would have been great, but "Dave" ended up being an inflamed butt-pimple that made my life a living hell for a 6 weeks until I finally gave up. I bought a different bike from the "repair" shop, and should have done that from the start.

BUYER BEWARE!!

Daniele10
Daniele10's picture

I'm a dealer for Prodeco Technologies, they do a much better job with shipping. They ship assembled bicycles from the factory in Florida in double boxes, packed with foam. All the electrical connections are plug and play. They have a 2 year part warranty including a hub motor and wheel swap and labor for repairs in the first 30 days. I don't believe return shipping is paid for my any distributor.
Prodeco Storm
USAebikes.com

Daniel Chase
Authorized Prodeco Technologies Dealer
http://USAebikes.com

choppero

I have had this bike for a month. In that time the right hand peddle and sprocket came loose and the chain fell off. It seems the nut that holds the peddle on was stripped and the shaft was also. I checked the left side and I have to tighten it every couple of days. I called Dave and the reply was, I don't really need the chain to drive the bike and maybe a bike shop could fix it. I ended up pulling the shaft myself and re threading it (it is VERY SOFT material). Then I tried to adjust the seat height and the bolt stripped on that. I replaced it with a real bolt and nut and have decided all of the fasteners should be replaced as the total crap used in the bolts and screws will fail. It is a fun bike to ride but the lack of quality in materials makes this a product designed to fail.

myrna.eshelman

I have had the Hybike for about a month. The key broke off in the ignition, the wires pulled out of the charger and then the bike fell over in a windburst and now the bike will not get any electricity to the motor. I have tried contacting the infamous Dave in Arizona but he will not return my calls. I need the owner's manual so I can see a wiring schematic or see how to access the battery. If anyone can send me a copy of their owner's manual I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Myrna
AZ

Az Biker

choppero

There are no owners manuals. Dave seems to be a real flake. I no longer have the bike but I believe the battery should be accessable by removing the cover. that surrounds it. Can you get the battery off the bike now that the key is broken?

myrna.eshelman

Thanks, I did get the key issue resolved as well as rewiring the charger. Just don't see how to access the battery??? Sure wish I could take a look at an owners manual.

Myrna

Az Biker

choppero

There are no manuals anywhere. When I asked about one Dave just said if I have any questions to ask him. When you take the battery case off the bike are there any screws on the back of the battery case?

sillyputty

Actually, HyBike's (Dave) buys these bikes from the Phoenix Produce company. You can not buy them on time and must pay cash up front, but he also provides very good service. You will also pay the same price as a distributor would. He is the importer from China and goes to China every year. I started purchasing from Phoenix Produce about 4 years ago. Every year, I have given him several improvement ideas and they have all been implemented on the next year models. Typically HyBike sells the lower end models which you can purchase from Phoenix Produce. I have included some of the information for their bikes below and they just got the 2012 models in.

There is even a lithium battery model you can special order, one is on display to check before you order. It's about $1,000 and the battery is very light and will last a long time.

A 3 Wheeled Tri bike is here June 2011,check it out.

These are the 2012 e-bikes. Updated June 2011

Ask about longer ranges on 1 charge.

New 3 wheel, e-trike is 36v 20 amp cost $1050 plus tax. Less than a powered wheel chair

60 v 12 amp cost $675 plus tax,

36 v 12 amp cost $455 plus tax.

48 v 12 amp cost $520 plus tax
48v 20 amp cost $750 plus tax,

Battery only= 2v 12 amp cost $45, 12v 20 amp cost $49.

We have the nail proof tire cost $25. It doesn't puncture.

**** And Phoenix Product carries spare parts as well as services these bikes.

48v20ampEbike2011.JPG60v12ampEbike.JPGe-trikeEbike2011side.JPG

choppero

These are all really nice improvements. Are you Hybikes Dave or Phoenix Produce company? I got lost with your refering back and forth. Have any manuals been produced for these bikes? I know when I e-mailed and asked for one from Hybike the answer was to give him a call and he would walk me thru any questions. Problem being the phone rarely gets picked up. I got mine used with very little use, and once I fixed my own problems the bike was good and still works great. I hope the sub-standard construction and parts have been addressed, as the price is right for an entry level e-bike. Best of luck, I hope your distribution expands to include local dealers.

sillyputty

I am neither. I do not work for Hybikes or Phoenix Produce. I just know that Phoenix Produce imports the bikes and sells them to the general public as well as to distributors. I have purchased a total of 4 bikes from Phoenix Produce in the last 4 years as each years model has had improvements. I sold my car and motorcycle and have gone totally to ebikes for transportation. Next year (I hope), I'm picking up a electric motorcycle that transforms from a Segway type to a sport motorcycle. Its called a Uno III.

jritz1701

Do you have a web site for these guys? Those prices look awesome and are about half of what Hybikes charges. In addition, the branding stickers are a bit different. I would be interested in checking these guys out further -- especially if they provide excellent support for their bikes.

Jeff Ritz

bikerMatt

Im also a little confused on price... it could be the financing?

johnholland4465

I was told by my Doctors to get in better shape: So I kind of cheated and invested in a Burnt Orange 60 volt HyBike to satisfy both needs of health and fresh air! I live in Tallahassee, Florida and at 54 years old,6 foot 260 I have found this Bike to be all that I have read and seen before investing. If any of you have been in Tallahassee they know there are plenty of small and large Hills.Even at my weight this Bike carries me with no problem. I will also add that I read some negative comments and have found them to be un-founded on my side. The Owner,Dave, and his partner ,Chase, have been easily found and all questions answered quickly.I am the first Bike of this kind in Tallahassee and already have people looking and wanting to own them.If there are any questions I am easily found on FB or the Tallahassee phone book. John Holland johnholland4465 [at] yahoo.com

John Holland

ebikedude

Hey Guys,
I just bought a HyBike and actually asked about this thread.
They do not get their bikes from phoenix produce anymore because they had all the quality problems. Dave imports his own bikes under his own brand now HyBikes.

The quality of the 48volt I got is well above any other ebike I have looked at. The one year motor warranty alone is well worth the price, not to mention that they financed me with $400 down and $100 a month. Thats with NO credit check and they don't charge interest. I'm also really excited about the referral program, I send folks to them and if they buy I get $100!
I've been recommending Hybikes to everyone and will continue!
Call them and say Jeff sent you!
602-577-6203

jeffinirving

I ordered the alkaline about a month ago. So far so good. Rear tire is a little out of shape, but the wheel seems fine. Battery where it clips on was broken, doesn't actually hurt anything as far as I can tell, not visible. It rattles quite a bit. As far as the bike goes, I have ridden it daily to the store and to the public transit station. I easily get the 45 miles stated range. Still on my 2nd charge! I might pedal more than most. But heck, it's so easy why not? I can easily put four bags of the reusable grocery bags on the floorboards then strap them on the bike. Eggs, milk in the front basket. I know it is good to run down a nicad battery pretty good when first cycling it through it's first cycle. So @ 20% showing and over a week of riding, i set out one evening to run it down so it would get maximum charge. After 2.5 hours with the lights on and riding around my neighborhood I gave up and plugged it in. Dang thing wouldn't go dead. Almost 3 weeks later, I show 50% charged now. I know I might not commute as far as some, but I do ALL MY ERRANDS on it within a 3 mile radius, Train station is 2 miles from me. I am pleased so far. I will keep everybody informed as I continue my experience.

jeffinirving

Update, had a back tire go flat. Still no response from Chase or Dave @ Hybikes on where one might find a tube or instructions for removing the rear tire. Bike is rendered useless at this point. Doesn't stop them from pulling out a payment every month. OK, without their instructions I managed not to damage anything and pull the rear wheel enough to take off the tube and tire, (not an easy task) No quick disconnect for wiring going to motor so you cannot remove it all the way. Have to work within the confines of the wheel well. After removing the tube, I checked for leaks, all were from the inner liner not covering the spoke ends. Multiple punctures, inner liner looks to be made for maybe a road tire, 1.25" maximum. These wheels on the Alkaline are 2.125". Total factory flunk. Many hours later after multiple emails and phone calls, no response. You might also want to look into the availability of 22" x 2.125" tubes and tires before ordering this bike. A not to pleasant reality when it happens to you several miles from your house. A bike shop just laughed and said "Good Luck Buddy." At least they responded. I will update if they ever make contact. I doubt it. I took enough pictures as I unpacked and as I put it together and noticed the flaws and damages, the pictures of the inner liner on the wider rim that it was made. I am sure the only response I am going to get is when I call Visa and tell them to withhold payment and serve them court papers. If they would deal with business they could probably avoid all of this. I really liked the bike, but what good is it paying $1800 bucks for 34 days of fun?

jeffinirving

Well, I finally found some tubes on ebay. Nobody else online had any, I got lucky so ordered a bulk quantity, some rim tape, and some tube sealant, after spending several hours looking and spending another $100 or so, I might be in luck after another several hours of wrestling the rear wheel in the tight confines again. I wish they would have at least responded to my request for wire gauge sizes on the wiring harness so I could have cut it and installed a quick disconnect for the future. I still have not found any tires that may fit this bike as yet without ordering from China with a minimal order of 200. I will keep you posted if I do find a source or have to become the source, lol.

jeffinirving

Ok. Everything is back up and running and I have a smile on my face again. Still no call from Chase or Dave @ Hybikes. I just wonder if something major goes wrong with that kind of communication, what happens then? I am not sure a 1 year motor warranty is that great if you have to show up in Arizona just to enforce it, because clearly, once you buy it you are on your own. Like I said, I really like the bike. I just have a hard time recommending it to people when they ask. I tell them straight out the positives of the bike and how much I enjoy it, but am honest with the customer service you get once a week or two passes after purchasing. I sure wish Chase and Dave would be more open to customer support. Anyway I will keep everybody updated. Have a great day.

choppero

I sent this to Dave@hybikes last year but got no response.
"We just learned about a great new place for e-bikes....it's called Phoenix Produce company. They may be near you. Great prices and service to. you should check them out." This place has much better deals than Dave and I think it's where he gets his bikes.

AU-AZ
AU-AZ's picture

I agree that Phoenix Produce provides good support of their bikes. Reasonable prices too. If only they weren't so far away from east valley. (I bought an electric bike to cut down driving on gas. Having to drive 25 miles each way for service defeats the purpose.) Here's their link: http://www.freewebs.com/phoenixelectricbike/index.htm
AU in Arizona

MonaRaeHill

Hi.

I've been avidly reading all the posts on Hybikes and Pheonix Produce Company and wondered about your issues with the back tire. I actually saw these posts before I bought the bike, but like the person who said the financing was much easier, I agree. The price IS a bit more, overall, but I found Dave to be a delight on the phone, and I don't know what happened with the other folks on here who found him to be unavailable, but I got the bike today, emailed him back for the assembly guideline, and it came through the email about an hour later (I thought, based on these posts, that I wouldn't hear from him, until at least tomorrow.) Also, he appears to have gotten the key issue straightened out (mine came with two), and as far as the back tire................perhaps that one could be replaced with the puncture proof one from Pheonix Produce Company? (For 25.00 and shipping). Yes, the wiring harness sounds like a problem, for sure, but I am betting that just about ANY reputable bike or motorcycle shop, could likely tell you what size harness it is. After reading all these negative posts, I wonder why the folks who were not happy, didn't just stop payment with their credit cards? Not to give unwanted advice, or anything, but I think if I were as unhappy with the product, as some of these folks are, I'd just call my credit card company and cancel the payment. Dave would likely call back pretty quickly, in that case, wouldn't he? I find being assertive this way, is easier in the long run, then complaining and not doing anything, don't you? I agree that not having a manual is a big detriment, and the price IS a bit steep, like I said, but I also researched the Pheonix Produce Company quite a lot, and decided to go with Dave, instead. (I was warned away from the PPC by a guy who used to sell e-bikes here, locally........he said the quality was really easy to get burned on.......which is why Dave & Chase started their own bike shop, with their own specifications........at least that was my understanding....???). Hmmmmmm...........I am nervous, now, but if I run into communication issues, I am planning on taking the above mentioned remedial action. I'll keep folks here, posted. :)

MonaRaeHill

Well, so far, so good. Day two of owning the HyBike (The adrenaline model). So far, I've found both Dave and Chase to be very available and responsive, even with my stupid question of "Okay, it's all charged and assembled, now how do I get the kick-stand down?". Chase picked the phone up and walked me through it. Awesome. I see nothing of proof here to change my original assumption that this is a very decent company to work with. Of course, it IS early days, yet, but like I said, so far, so good. :)

My two complaints about the bike assembly.

1) The pedals are completely awkward to install. One is a left thread and one is a right. It took my partner, my musician son, his girlfriend and me, to figure out how to get them on the darn bike! NOT intuitive if this is one's first e-bike, and the assembly instructions did not cover this. Frustrating!

2) I think the handlebars need re-design. The only thing holding the handle-bars in place, is a single screw/nut combination. This is too chintzy and makes the steering a bit wobbly, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the first time e-bike owner.

General gripe:

3) The brakes DO need adjustment, the tires DID need air, and the seat doesn't seem to be taking tightening very well, but I am assuming this is generally the case with ALL bikes, motorized, or not. I remember putting my kids bikes together, years ago, and this always seemed to be the case. I almost always had to take them to the local bike shop, for tweaking. :(

Other then that, this bike is really FUN, PRETTY, manageable (just) for someone with disability, and A JOY to RIDE.

Since my son and his girlfriend helped, they both got to ride it, and they both fell instantly in love with it!

I'm not sure what all the complaining is, on here, but maybe folks (who posted over a year ago) could give updates on how they got their issues worked out? It happens a lot on list-serves, that people complain and then never update as to whether or not there was a positive outcome. :)

Myrna Eshelman

I still have never had a call back from invisible Dave. Have not yet attempted to repair back tire.... again! Bike is just sitting in my garage.

jeffinirving

6th flat on back tire, can't get Dave or Chase to return a call. All are coming from the wheel not anything puncturing the tire. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!!!! I have the Alkaline model. I don't know about the other ones. This is really getting old. I need a trued back rim without all the protruding studs from the spokes that are WAY too long. I also need a trued front rim so not to bounce all over the damn road! Believe what you want folks like I did, once two weeks passes, you are on your own. Dave nor Chase will never answer or call, but the payments keep going out.

ebikedude

6th flat on back tire, can't get Dave or Chase to return a call. All are coming from the wheel not anything puncturing the tire. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!!!! I have the Alkaline model. I don't know about the other ones. This is really getting old. I need a trued back rim without all the protruding studs from the spokes that are WAY too long. I also need a trued front rim so not to bounce all over the damn road! Believe what you want folks like I did, once two weeks passes, you are on your own. Dave nor Chase will never answer or call, but the payments keep going out.

Not to sure what jeffirving is talking about, I called hybikes(number is on the side of the bike) and ordered tubes over the phone, they mailed them the same day. It is hard as heck to install the back tube but when I called to ask how they do it they walked me through it and even emailed directions.
The tubes where about $13 and shipping for 2 walk ithink $5-6.

My hybike is well used and the flat tire is the only issue I have had which was caused by me running over glass, I don't expect any bike to be able to run over glass and have air left in the tube! I don't treat mine like a dirt bike, I treat it like an investment-one I have already paid for in gas savings.

perkinsdavidg

I live in Tucson AZ and had a great experience with HyBikes. I take mine out every day and get GREAT mileage. Should anyone want a great electric bike and a GREAT experience you should go to HyBikes.

jeffinirving

Update! I should have posted this several months ago. My flats are a thing of the past. I finally just told them to sell me a new tire as the one that came on the bike was so out of round that it constantly felt like you were going over small pot holes. It must have been the problem and for 6 months now, not a flat at all. I still think it was pretty poor customer service not offering a tire replacement (especially when I called them and told them about the tire upon arrival of the bike) I was forced to buy one. So after numerous flats and frustration, my back tire now goes flat no longer.
I response on how I use my bike. No I don't off road. I got the Alkaline model. What a dumb accusation. Maybe people should just state their facts and experience and allow others to state theirs. People come here to get information. Attacking another person for not having the same experience as they have had is a little childish.
I am completely happy with the bike now, but I really can't give Hybikes a very high mark on customer service. This could have been handled on the first phone call when I received my bike reporting the damage.
All in all, I would do it again. I have put thousands of miles on this thing and just tighten up bolts every so often, lubricate chain, small brake adjustments, and washing is all you have to do. I am still getting about 40 miles per charge so the battery life seems to be holding up well.
Hope all have a great day!

jeffinirving

I posted an update, but it never went through. Everything is fixed now. Bought a new back tire from Hybikes. Cured the flat problem. 6 months now and no flats. The bike is great. It is holding up well and after thousands of miles, battery still holds up for about 40 miles. Minor maintenance is all I ever have to do. Customer service could improve, but product seems to be very sound. And know as was suggested, I don't take my Alkaline model off road, it was defective when it arrived and Hybike would not rectify the problem. I was forced to on my own, and spend more money. Not everybody has the same experiences, but attacking somebody for an honest opinion about their experience is childish. This is and information forum. Not all will have the same outcome. Let readers decide by stating the facts of your experience.
Thus said, I would buy again from them, but would immediately send anything back that wasn't 100% correct, not just do as they said and "Try it and if it is a problem, we will send you another." That changed to you used it, now you need to buy a replacement. Not very good customer service.

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage