GELATO - Electric Scooter- Really need help! Bought it new, still in wrappings.A problem already. ALSO, NEED A MANUAL PLZ?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
artistgloria
artistgloria's picture
GELATO - Electric Scooter- Really need help! Bought it new, still in wrappings.A problem already. ALSO, NEED A MANUAL PLZ?

Greetings! I am new to the forum and am enjoying your great advice! I hope to be a contributor as well!

I realize I may have posted this in the wrong place, but, I wasn't sure what my new scoot would be categorized as.

I JUST purchased a Gelato Electric Motorized, with Pedals, Scooter, Bella Gela!
She has 4 12 Amp batteries and pedals...which got used on her maiden voyage! :(

It's a delightful little machine and worked well when the folks selling it brought it over to me.
I heard a slight whirr noise coming from the front, think it's okay...hope it's okay?

But, the oddest thing happened.
I had charged her for about 12 hours, according to what I'd found online, that's acceptable.

I turned the handle (throttle?) and she went fine...for about 40 feet. Then, nada, nacho, nothing.

This happened the entire distance around the condo complex and when I took her out onto the street, the scooter lasted about a mile, I turned around, and within a fw blocks, lost all power.

I got her home fine. She's charging again.

I called a couple of places, actually, 5 places, and they all thought the same thing...loose wire or connection.

Perhaps it's the batteries. I am game to try that as well.

There's a nice man that I met while checking in with some of the shops, Dave, who was so gracious to tell me to bring her in. He seems very knowledgeable and competent.

As I am unable to drive due to a medical condition, I use an electric golfcart. Working with electric vehicles isn't exactly foreign to me. I rely on my golfcart to get me around as well as public and private transportation. I am a landscape artist who truly desires to get a good 20 miles round trip out of my Gelato so I can paint on site. This scooter really is an answer to my prayers to be able to get out at will to paint the glorious creation surrounding us. I am more than a little disappointed to learn that it's already displaying problems.

It would be wonderful if I could get a manual as I rather like knowing how to repair things. I am game to try most anything but really need a manual to even begin to start on this. After Dave, the repair guy, gives her the once over, I'd like to try to keep on top of maintenance and repair issues.

Also, owning one of those vintage fiberglass campers that look like eggs..., I do have some experience with repairing fiberglass. As the delivery people dropped her on her side coming through the gates here, she needs a little repair, actually a fair amount of repair! Any advice on where I can find the right silver paint would be helpful, too.

So, ideas on why I may be stalling? Where do I start to check things out?

Any manuals out there?

Any suggestions on repairing the fiberglass or paint colors of Silver for this model?

And, finally, in an effort to make this easier for others in a similiar situation, I'd like to gather everything I can find and put it in one place.

So, Fellow Gelatonians, tell me what you can, please? Or, even if not a Gelatonian, feel free to offer up your pearls of wisdom, please!!

Gigi, proud owner of Bella Gela! She's Silver, right now...

www.gloriafredricks.com

Weee
Re: GELATO - Electric Scooter- Really need help! Bought it ...

I'm no expert, but it may be you controller that's the issue. This was a common problem with the Z-20 scooter (which I bought and had a bit of familiarity with).

mopedbrainy

Ohmm to the artist . The little thing is made (? Assembled) by Q-electric located in Encinitas CA.Similar to the Expresso S . Nice Syst. Pretty bike.Like a Deco Vespa. Unfortunately, the undercarriage water flow/resistance is minimal.But it is fun to ride unmoded/stock .A set of ping batt 48/10 Ah is probably what it needs to please a proud owner .IT is called now Green Transporter.

artistgloria
artistgloria's picture

Hello! Thanks for the information! I will file this away as a possibility.

I spoke with a gentleman who told me I needed two chargers! I wondered why there were two pigtails off that end that plugged into the Scooter! I moved the charger over to the other pigtail (if that what it's called!) and charged that up as well, and the Scooter went 4 miles for me!

I also ordered a set of batteries, as 4 miles isn't enough for my needs (nor wants!).

Thanks so much for responding. I feel better knowing someone has been down this path before me. I will read all your posts with relish! I want to learn everything I can about it.

Muchly appreciated!
Gloria

Go Forward Confidently! Dare to live the Life you Imagined!

artistgloria
artistgloria's picture

Hello, Mopedbrainy!

Thanks for the response! That's so nice of you! I have to admit, I don't understand all that you wrote...

So, here goes...You wrote:

Ohmm to the artist . Thank you...love my life and the use of the Scooter to get me out to paint onsite, my favorite place to paint!

The little thing is made (? Assembled) by Q-electric located in Encinitas CA.Similar to the Expresso S . Nice Syst.
Glad to hear it has a nice system. I really didn't know an electric scooter like this even existed. I was delighted to find it and at a very fair price where I could afford to add some things it needed.

Pretty bike.Like a Deco Vespa. I agree, she's nice looking and Vespa-like. :)

Unfortunately, the undercarriage water flow/resistance is minimal. Ok, now I am lost...I guess I need to read what the undercarriage water flow/resistor is...

But it is fun to ride unmoded/stock . Ok...really feeling dumb now. unmoded/stock=riding it as is without adding any bells and whistle to get an higher performance?

A set of ping batt 48/10 Ah is probably what it needs to please a proud owner .IT is called now Green Transporter.
I did order 4, 12 volt, 12 amp batteries that the was suggested by an employee who worked at the Gelato place in California. He was very helpful and full of information.

So, now I need to read all of YOUR posts, as you certainly are a wealth of information.
Thanks so much for taking the time, both of you, to help me with this. Kudos to you both!
Gloria

mopedbrainy

Great Artistgloria! Glad It seemed to help , some, not confuse you. I meant just monitor how in wet weather water splashes underneath the rear tire,the controller and those connection below .And yes you got the notion : bells and whistle:. Therefore it seems much more stronger than the xb-600 on hills .The SLA batteries weight you down and tight you up somehow and that's why my suggestion for lithium (ping) batteries.A nice PACK would make you carefree about the distance or charge remaining.... .Trust me. Best wishes .

artistgloria
artistgloria's picture

Thank you, again, mopedbrainy! It's interesting to decipher the coded talk amongst the members! LOL! I love it and feel that I truly am in a foreign country! :)

I will pay attention to the undercarriage and give thought to replacing the batteries with a lithium pack. Thank you!

I have to start another thread as I have a question about the charging system now. Um...a little zap this a.m. :)

Best regards, mopedbrainy!
artistgloria

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage