£105 conversion 250w 24ah on orange patriot mx6 downhill bike

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
leggera16
£105 conversion 250w 24ah on orange patriot mx6 downhill bike

After much internet browsing all the hubs and premade kits seemed so expensive. So just for fun I set a £100 limit to see what it got me. If I liked the results of electric assistance I planned to upgrade and pass on the prototype to the girlfriends bike.

My front forks are 20mm so no hub would go there anyway and having a rear one meant more expense downgrading parts like gears. I was adamant that I would not lose my 9 gears and rear disc and wanted a cheap conversion for small commutes and fun. Well I did 30 miles on this the other day to get a before conversion time lol. Nearly 2 bloomin hours and allot of sweat.

Here is my parts list I used to convert my bike

all prices inc delivery
MY1016 24V motor 19.99 new
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-VOLT-250-WATT- ... 105wt_1031

350w 24v contoller £11
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 765wt_1392

7kg each 12v 24ah deep cycle lucas gel x2 best offer £48 delivered(turned up 3 years old and both dead revived to 20ah and refunded half the cost via ebay)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2203wt_782

Throttle cut down to grip shift size £7
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 969wt_1928

£10 for a 90t minimoto sprocket, £3 for a chain. For an average bike all that would be only £100 but I spent around a further 50 on convertings my 20mm axle forks to accept quick release wheels, aluminium plates,clamps and bolts etc. Including my refund for bad batteries or if you bought smaller ones you could do this sort of project for £75. I got a 16t freewheel to fit my sprockets 54mm hole perfectly and line up with the bolts like it grew there but didnt want to spend £30 on a cheap wheel with disc mount on one side and screw on the other just incase it didnt fit in my forks. Rear bmx hubs or track hubs (110MM O.L.N) are perfect for any other front forks but mine as I have super fat legs that rub on the freewheel and 20mm axles. So for now I settled with no freewheel as my motor draws 9amp hours and I easily have two hours run time plus a backup lithium-ion to keep it spinning, I have left it a direct constantly engaged drive.

All above has been mandatory but optionals include £50 charger/balancer imax b8, £15 7ah li-ion 12v, £10 indicators, £10 motorcycle generic handlebar switch (horn, lights,indicators and motor kill switch), £15 20w leds 1600 lumens. The charger runs from 12v sources like car batteries, solar or mains adaptor meaning i can charge at my destination or top the batteries up at my destination with 3.5ah each to stop sulphation with my 7ah lithium (3inches x 2inches little thing). I also got a 9 tooth sprocket to hit the magic 10/1 ratio. I figured that at 20mph 26 inchers wheels do 250rpm x10= 2500rpm at the motor, but due to my massive tyre Im still stuck at around 2000rpm not closer to 2500 as has been sugested is good for a my1016. Untill I find a better wheel il use vbrakes while the disc is otherwise occupied lol.

So far my furthest test has been 7 miles at wide open throttle at 18mph. The dodgy batteries used to sag around 3 miles on first ride but now they are run in are still pulling well even after 7 miles. Id estimate 15-20 miles max on my dodgy batteries as 7 miles took them from 12.9v to 12.6. For now the batteries are in a laptop bag belted to the frame and seat post and are surprisingly secure. In the bag is an old datatool system 3 motorcycle immobiliser that activates the indicators when you arm it (when they arrive) and screams bloody murder if you touch it at all. I will wire this to the ignition lead so no kids can muck about with the motor until i get a key switch.

The motor does not overheat and so far, on the flat, it gets as warm as a cup of tea at most. I live on the coast so havnt tried hills but can tell you now this will be absolutely useless going up gradients as it is geared to do 17mph and offers no torque even against very strong winds. Ah well its all good fun, Perhaps I will try to modify the motor to take my 6 tooth sprocket and replace the already home made custom 9 tooth one to get some more torque. For me though its all about getting from a to b as fast as possible without getting arrested or spending cash lol Take it easy Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74_8twRiLk

leggera16
Re: £105 conversion 250w 24ah on orange patriot mx6 downhill ...

Just to let you know the riding experience of a cheapo conversion like this. On sla batteries I did 15 miles at w.o.t. at around 18-20mph taking around 45 mins. It does 13 to 16 mph without pedalling depending on the winds direction and 18-23 if you match the motor with your legs. I live on the coast and 24mph head winds feel like it will stop you if you didnt pedal too. Also it only feels happy in nearly the hardest gear (26) spinning hard and fast, try and cruise at 15 or less and it feels like your fighting the motor. It doesnt like uphills and quickly runs out of steam up steep ones meaning you just put it in an easy gear and half throttle it to keep the motor turning as I have no freewheel incorporated yet. I really think my motors 9 tooth sprocket should be around 7 as I overheated one of the my1016 motor bearings after 7 miles fighting the winds. It freed up after 3 mins rest and are only roller skate bearings anyway so I have some abec 9's lined up for it. When I got home my 24v pack took 16ah to get fully charged again after it dropped to around 24.4v.

I have my ping battery (2 weeks from order to delivery!!) and now it does 16 to 21mph without pedalling and 19 to 24 if you do pedal. I did the same 15 miles but not quite at w.o.t. as it pulled more than the slas and used around 12ah. I was unfortunate enough to get caught up at the local shops in the middle of some vosa/police force camera giving people tickets right next to where id locked my bike thinking they were getting lunch. They never looked twice at my bike and even people stood next to it havnt worked out its electric but do look confused trying to work out whats not quite right so hopefully I wont get spotted doing over 15mph and get in trouble.

Mr ping is the man. He did me a bit of a custom wire job and answered all 16 of my questions within 14 hours before and after id received my battery. My bike went from 39kg with sla 24ah to 29kg with the ping. The forks were always half compressed with 14kgs sat on the crossbar and made the steering response really slow.

Be warned that a week after delivery a TNT tax bill came for £23. This was never mentioned by the website or the tnt delivery guy. You should factor this cost into your budget when choosing battery vendors.

Next I might try a hub motor as I feel it wont fight me like a small motor doing 2100rpm does but as a starting point the original set up has been real fun and would be fine for 10 miles with good condition 18ah gel cells. Dont get 24ah 14kgs worth of battery as it will upset your bike and balance especially if your bike is like mine and has no low down rear rack fixing areas. If anyone wants some ideas how this might be incorporated onto their bike let me know and il see if i can suggest some ideas as this seemed really easy to work out as im mechanically minded after rebuilding bikes and motor bike engines since I was 14. Happy biking Dan

heaviside

A BLDC ebike hub kit costs around 200 on ebay so if you were only after an easy a to b ride, you would have went with that option. Looks like you derive much more pleasure out of building it yourself, which is good because you never know what you might end up with. It looks like you had fun. ;)

leggera16

My main aim was to try this out cheaply. I had broken my lower back, pelvis, hands and foot so I didnt want to spend loads before knowing if I could actually handle a bike at all after getting knocked of my motorbike.

I kept seeing hub motors for £200 but then you have to buy batteries as well. I also didnt want a hub initially due to drag when the batteries are dead or you just fancy blowing off some steam.

Once I found out I could ride pretty well I actually ended up ditching the 250w my1016 for a conhis 24v 500w.

I can honestly say the fabrication and planning kept me occupied for at least 2 months lol. Frustrating at times but satisfying at the end of it.

My girls bike got the old kit and is really nice to ride with the motor tied to hub gears and a freewheel incorporated. //i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/06032011087.jpg)
//i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/27032011137.jpg)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage