Can you take a look at this and tell me if this cord is correct?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
artistgloria
artistgloria's picture
Can you take a look at this and tell me if this cord is correct?

Okay...wrong forum again, I suppose? Sorry, feel free to move me around if I chose incorrectly, please! :)

Rather than add to the forum, I posted photos on my blog. Would you be so kind as to look at what I've posted and tell me what I just did to the wires?

All help appreciated!

I am so new at these scooters, I am truly the least knowledgable about these. However, I do like to learn, so tell me what to do? :)

Best,
ArtistGloria

http://bellagela.blogspot.com/

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Can you take a look at this and tell me if this cord is ...

Did you only plug in one of the male ends for charging?
Where both male ends identical, did they both work the same for charging?

It's impossible to tell from the fuzzy pictures what exactly happened there, but it sounds like you might have shorted the battery. As a result, a fuse might have blown if there is one in that current path, or yo welded the male connector parts together, or the wires might have melted somewhere else.

If you are lucky, then it may be just the damaged male connector that has a fault now. Did you unplug the battery end of the cable immediately after the spark?

You might be able to get going by cutting off the damaged plug part. Then make sure the cut ends of the wires are not touching, isolate them from each other.

Then, get a multimeter and "beep" the cables with the continuity tester function (when not connected to the scooter).

By the way, what you did is called "Letting the magic smoke out". It is this magic smoke that makes electric vehicles and other electronic devices work (don't believe anyone who tries to tell you otherwise, like electrons and all that stuff). If you let the magic smoke out, the scooter stops ;-(

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

artistgloria
artistgloria's picture
Re: Can you take a look at this and tell me if this cord is ...

Mik, I so appreciate your helpfulness! Thank you for taking the time to help me understand this. I really did get lucky. What you wrote informed me of what not to do. Great advice! When looking at the cords, I realized the female part of the charger was caught in the male part. I don't know how that happened, but, the threads were damaged and I don't think it was on properly.
Nonetheless, it is working and I'll order another charger.
Thank you, again, Mik.

What I realized had happened was the female cord end of the charger was stuck in the cord that plugs into the scooter. That was the weak link. The spark was very small and I did remove the cord from the scooter immediately. Why I didn't remove it before I started to mess with it is beyond me and surely a great lesson!

I had to test the scooter after getting his reply and I was able to get out for a couple of miles...until I fell, sprawling into the street! No serious injuries but, I am pretty banged up with lots of scrapes, one of which is about a foot long on my leg, along with the familiar knee scrape that reminded me of being a kid learning to ride a bike.
But, that's just the lesson I needed to have. Some of the streets are busy here and I know I'll be needing to use a sidewalk. Thank goodness, there wasn't a car near me as I did fly about 6 feet into the street. I got tangled up between the sidewalk and the grass and over corrected and airborne was I! :) It was a good lesson that one needs to practice the navigation, braking, riding on different surfaces. Though I am very sore all over and have good bruises to go with it, I learned a very valuable lesson. Actually, two today! Thank you, Lord!

I'll order another charger as I plugged the other-new-working charger I have into the male end of the plug in cord and it's charging!

You are all so wonderfully helpful, pleasant, and kind. It's truly an honor to be part of this group.

Thanks, again!

Go Forward Confidently! Dare to live the Life you Imagined!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage