Removing Decals...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Curious
Curious's picture
Removing Decals...

I've done a lot of work on my XM-3500li. I added four more cells, replaced the dashboard with a digital version, upgraded the controller to a 350A Kelly Controller with regen, and replaced the hub motor with a 4500W version. It's essentially a brand new bike. I could have created it from scratch, I just didn't have to weld together the battery box. At this point I would like to start doing conversions for other people, and I don't want X-Treme's name on my bike anymore.

Looking closely, the bike is simply painted black, and the X-Treme logos are decals. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me look to see if the decals are protected by a topcoat layer? I'm thinking about using a heat gun to see if they'll just peel away, but I don't want to mar the paint underneath.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on how to remove the decals?

Zapdos
Re: Removing Decals...

I just used a heat gun on my XM-3000 and they came right off.

mf70

Looking closely, the bike is simply painted black, and the X-Treme logos are decals. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me look to see if the decals are protected by a topcoat layer?

You may be lucky, but on my XB-600, the decals (stickers) were UNDER the topcoat. I peeled them off anyway, cutting through the top-coat in an inconspicuous spot and gently peeling them. I scored the color coat trying to get the last of the adhesive off, but I like scratched paint better than orange flames on a one-HP wonder!

I'd try to peel an inconspicuous corner first.

Mark

JasonTaylor
JasonTaylor's picture

I would not do this if I were you. There is a hidden sensor in the chassis that detects decal removal. Once activated, a wireless signal is sent to the Chinese authorities, who will contact your local authorities, to put out an apb on your vehicle, causing you to get pulled over, and inquired as who who the actual manufacturer is, who you will no longer be able to prove it is xtreme, causing you to get booked for illegal motor vehicle access. If you can't do the time, don't pull the decals.

Jason Taylor. Fresh rant each day @ http://twitter.com/jasontaylor7

Spaceangel

I have a few XM-3000's and removed~ed the decals. Top coat and bottom coat and took it off to white fiberglass plastic and made a mess and re-painted it the color of my eBay white trunk. Senor? where?

here is a hidden sensor in the chassis that detects decal removal. Once activated, a wireless signal is sent to the Chinese authorities, who will contact your local authorities, to put out an apb on your vehicle, causing you to get pulled over, and inquired as who who the actual manufacturer is, who you will no longer be able to prove it is extreme, causing you to get booked for illegal motor vehicle access. If you can't do the time, don't pull the decals.

After replacing converters and controllers and batteries and even lights. It has never got me stopped too awful much. I have a decal from a local bike shop and I guess most of the cops know "Extreme Toys" here in Lowell MA and just chat with no real warning if I got stopped. But I guess every state is different but a built in sensor? Hey this is not Lo-Jack. It is a very big joke but my expensive joke. Again removing decal sort of includes paint coming off. 7500 watt controller limited to 19 MPH here. But can now go up most hills.

KB1UKU

Curious
Curious's picture

I've removed the decals. I received a tip on another forum to use vegetable oil, so I smothered the decals in oil and let it sit. It didn't seem to do much. The first decal I got off by using a hairdryer on it. There were places where the adhesive was so gooey that it stayed stuck to the bike. The other three decals I simply heated one corner of the decal until I could get my fingernail under it, and then promptly removed the heat. The decal just peeled off without leaving residue on them.

There is a faint outline where they used to be. It's almost like the bike was painted, given a topcoat, had the decals applied, and then hit with another topcoat. Regardless, it looks much better with those decals gone! I think I'm going to have to buy or make some new "electric" decals though :)

And does it really need to be said? There isn't a "decal removal alarm" haha.

theBOZman

I took the stickers off with a heat gun. There is a paint outline where the stickers used to be. I think they put the stickers on before the paint was totally cured. Still looks better without them.

And seriously China, I know you love getting the english language wrong and all, but this is not a "moped".[rolls eyes] Mo-peds are MOtorized vehicles with PEDals...[shakes head]

Somebody was giving me crap at a biker bar about my moped. I told them it's not a moped but a scooter. He pointed at the sticker on the side of the bike. I hadn't even noticed that yet. I should have taken a picture of it for engrish.com before I removed them.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage