Alternatives to the Kelly KD Brushed Motor Controllers

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
joshpit2003
joshpit2003's picture
Alternatives to the Kelly KD Brushed Motor Controllers

I'm looking for a Brushed Motor Controller that has the option for seporate brake and throttle inputs.
These Kelly controllers seem to be what I am looking for:

http://kellycontroller.com/24v-kd-brushed-dc-motor-speed-controller-c-22_39.html

as you will notice in the wiring schematic (page 10):
http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/downloads/KellyKDUserManual.pdf

that it supports seporate brake and throttle inputs.

Only problem is I have read mostly bad things about the Kelly Controllers, Does anyone know of an alternative controller? Maybe one that has proper English on their website...or a phone number to contact instead of just non-responsive e-mail?

Thank You.
-Josh

*looking for something around 100A constant and 200A peak or higher.

Spaceangel
Re: Alternatives to the Kelly KD Brushed Motor Controllers

Wow we. you are in California? What brands are you looking for? I tend to like DCP well maybe it is called Alltrax, then again there is Curtis 1204 and 1205 series. if you that route I can almost guarantee that the controller will never burn up for they are rated for big amps like use on-road vehicles and golf cart. It seems as if all of CA has the most EV's in the USA and the most experienced EV~ers there. My choice would be Alltrax for it seems to be best bang for the buck. I have the 48 volt Alltrax set up as inductor input but you can change yours to resistive or 0-10 volt input via RS232 on your computer. For bikes there is a standard 0-5K pot for MC vs the PB-6 or the PB-9 used on trucks. I figured every one in CA was an expert with so many EVs there. What is seporate?
On mine I used a relay for KSI to turn off controller. Separate? I didn't like that route because of having to step on brake with it on my truck so I did it via parking brake switch. That is how they test brakes in Taxachusetts here. They almost didn't pass me but I showed them new Master Cylinder and receipt for new brakes from Midas. I said I am sorry but it is ashamed laws don't keep up with new inventions and new EVs. I had them "inspection station" put a burn mark on my armature so I did the parking brake switch to prevent that from ever happening again. Also it starts a timer for auto- turn off if you leave key in to prevent battery from being drained at Milli-amperes . Stupid spell checker won't accept proper spelling for milli amps? I guess most controllers use B+, B-, and M- with common B+ to both. On most controllers there is KSI so you can use it for any scenario that might come up. It might be under a different name like B in or high level in or key switch ignition or key switch disconnect or almost any other safety word. At least if you go the route of Curtis or Alltrax if will easily do 300 or 400 amperes and more closer to 500 or 600 amperes so it will never burn out. On my V W, I use the 48 volt Alltrax and peg the motor amp meter and do way more 500 amps on battery. Well with Kelly controllers you have Made-in-China Quality built into every controller LOL. At least Curtis and Damon's controller is based in CA and WA in other words USA Quality. The moderator of this V is David and he uses Alltrax I believe. Maybe you can tap his archives or mind.

KB1UKU

joshpit2003
joshpit2003's picture

thanks for the post. I called Alltrax and had a nice talk. What it came down to though is they didn't have what i was looking for. I wanted a controller rated for 200-300A (peak), regen braking, and a somewhat small size... everything they had was too large and not the right specs for my weird application.
I also gave Kelly a call (their ill. location) and although I hada hard time understanding what he said, he made it clear to me that they accept returns and I can ship them to him if there is any problem. Due to not being able to find an alternative I will be going w/ Kelly.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

There's not many choices for brushed DC controllers ... And Kelly covers a larger voltage range than Alltrax - which is why I have a Kelly controller queue'd up to go in my car, because Alltrax doesn't supply 144 volt controllers.

The others I know of which do regen are: Sevcon and 4QD ...

joshpit2003
joshpit2003's picture

Thanks for the tip, waiting to hear from Sevcon, but I found this on the 4QD Webpage:
What the controller does not have (as it does not require it) is separate acceleration and brake controls.

I don't know why most controller companies think coasting isn't neccesary. It is MORE intuative for people to have as seporate brake pedal from the acceleration pedal (due to the fact that is how cars are designed and we have been driving in cars our whole life). Imagine driving a car w/ just one pedal... just doesn't make sense to me, yet load of controller suppliers seem to think that is the only way to do it.

looks like the Kelly is still the only controller that offers seporate brake/throttle pot inputs.
*still waiting on Sevcons response though

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage