One Bionx charger sez 36VDC the other says 42 VDC. Compatibility issues?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
coolio
One Bionx charger sez 36VDC the other says 42 VDC. Compatibility issues?

I picked up this Bionx charger online. It looks new, has the 4 prongs like mine, same model # (HP8204AC). However, the ouput for this new one is 34VDC/2A. Mine is 42VDC/2A. Should I be worried that it's not compatible with my battery pack? Thanks in advance.

alan in tempe
Re: One Bionx charger sez 36VDC the other says 42 VDC. ...

That won't damage your cells, but it won't charge them either. If yours was a 36V battery with the 48V charger, that could be a serious problem. You need the correct charger!

-- Alan

coolio

Thanks for the response, Alan.

The original charger that came with the bionx was the 42VDC. It's been working fine and have not suffered any degradation or problems charging. It is the new one that is 36VDC that I'm asking about. So you think it won't charge? Any danger to try it out? I'm mainly concerned about it exploding or something.

BTW my Bionx was a pre 2009 PL350.

alan in tempe

I'm not sure what the empty voltage of a 42V pack is, but it may be more than 36V. The charger should be smart enough to know the discharged 42V battery voltage is too high to start and refuse to charge it. Or, it may just say it is fully charged when it is empty. Or, if your battery is below 36V, it may charge it up to 36V, leaving your battery mostly discharged. I don't see how the 36V charger can damage the 42V battery. However, it is possible that a charged 42V battery could damage a 36V charger!

If you don't have a volt meter to measure your battery and insure it is starting below 36 V, then do not connect the two. If it is below 36 V, then don't expect any damage, but not very much of a charge getting to the battery, either.

-- Alan

coolio

Thanks, again.

I'll see if I can round up a volt meter to measure.

This is upsetting because I bought this charger b/c it had the same model # as my original. I don't know why bionx labels the same model # and then has a different VDC.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage