Smoke coming from under the scooter.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
FlyLikeABandit
Smoke coming from under the scooter.

I just sold my XB700Li scooter today to a nice couple who was going to give it to their mother. They took it home, rode around for a while and loved it. Called me a few minutes ago and said it smoked and fire came out below the bike when she plugged it in to charge. When I asked her if she plugged the charger into the bike first, then the wall and then turned it on, she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I think she plugged the wall socket cord into the bike's charging port, is this possible? If I remember right it is the same type of plug and could be plugged directly into the 110AC by using the cord from the charger and not using the charger.

They will bring it back tomorrow and I will try to access the damage. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the XB700Li? I am hoping it is just the controller and not the batteries. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JT

solutionsgem
solutionsgem's picture
Re: Smoke coming from under the scooter.

Hi, That is odd. We have been riding our first generation 700li since August 2008 with no electrical problems. There is no way to connect the charger wrong in our bike because the charger is all one piece but if you get a hold of a computer power cable you can connect it directly to the 120 volt AC outlet and fry the battery and controller. We believe the new generation chargers do have the cable than can be connected to the bike with out the charger. We hope that is not the case.
You can download the owner's manual here:

http://www.x-tremescooters.com/manuals/XB-700Li-manual-6-7-10.pdf

You can find the wiring diagram on page 11 on the manual. The diagram is not very clear but will give you an idea.

Good luck

Energy Independence For A Bright Future.

www.solutionsgem.com

FlyLikeABandit
Re: Smoke coming from under the scooter.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my charger is two piece and I am thinking that is what she did since I watched her husband take the power cord off and we placed it in the rear compartment. I think she grabbed the cable only as she said on the phone she didn't know about a box but later said she was talking about the battery box. If is it not burned two badly, I can probably fix it fairly cheap as I am an EE but if not I will probably need a controller. Wondering if you had any spare controllers at your shop? I am close in Discovery Bay, CA.

{edit} After looking at the wiring diagram and thinking some more, I am thinking she fried the batteries as the charger should connect straight to the batteries to charge and not the controller. The controller should only come into play if they turned it on but I am sure it would fry the batteries first.
{edit}

Thanks in advance,
JT

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage