LED replacement bulb??

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
stylez
LED replacement bulb??

i have a 2011 Gio RZR electric scooter and am looking to replace all my lights with LED's to conserve power and be more visible. I pulle dout one of my turn signal bulbs and it is stamped 55 volts. My scooter runs on a 48 volt system and currently running at 60 volts. Id like to know if anyone has done this already and if so where did they find the bulbs? ive been looking for days now and cant find anything. i even checked http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and cant find a thing that resembles a 55 volt bulb. am i even looking for the right rating here? even google doesnt turn up any 55 volt leds it seems they are measured in watts from what i can tell. any suggestions would be great. im running 8 lights at the moment at 55 volts each so switching to led would probably make a difference (at least thats my understanding of it lol).

jthmi
Re: LED replacement bulb??

It's hard enough to find 55VDC replacemenet bulbs, let alone replacement leds. You can use a 48 to 12 v stepdown for any normal auto/bike accessories. That is what all the nice bikes, Current and Emoto for two examples, do.

JTH/Amp Brothers Electric Cycles/MI

Persona Non-Grata

I doubt that you will find LED bulbs made to fit in your existing setup, First I would step the whole lighting system down to less than 12 volts, I think ~6 volts would be preferred by most individual LEDs though they should tollerate 12 volts well enough. Second you will probably need to make your LED bulbs yourself. Buy individual LEDs of suitable colour, brightness, electrical specifications, etc... Then start soldering, carving plastic, and folding thin sheet metal (ungalvanized roof flashing is excelent), untill you have this little plug made to fit into the socket (and be pulled out) with an LED sticking out of it on its two wires. Keep in mind that LEDs are polarity sensative, unlike incandescent bulbs.

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

PJD
PJD's picture

Actually, drop-in LED replacement-for-incandescent bulbs are avaialble for most common automotive (and motorcycle/scooter) applicatons here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

...and, presumably similar vendors in Europe/UK/Australia.

LED bulbs are also available for standard base 120 volt (and presumably 240 volt in UK/EU/AU) home lighting. The "big-box" home supply stores are really pushing them in my area. I really like the two LED bulbs I've bought so far. I will be gradually replacing CF's with LED bulbs - but enough with this digression.

I have never heard of a 55 volt bulb for use in any kind of vehicle application. You will probably need to get a DC-DC converter and convert the scooters lighting/accessory circuits to 12 volts - or preferably 14 volts for optimum brightness, and convert to standard automotive bulb sockets (#1156, #1157 wedge base, etc)

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage