How Many Notice It Is Electric?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
PJD
PJD's picture
How Many Notice It Is Electric?

One of the disappointments in promoting electric motor scooters since 2005 has been how (in the US anyway) few even are able to notice or care(?) that it is electric. Few notice its its quiet operation (or in the case of Current's bikes - a cool whine resembling the batmobile in the old batman TV series), lack of a tailpipe, and obnoxious odors. This seems to indicate some unfortunate things about the literacy of so many in technical matters or if a matter of caring, environmental apathy, which is really noticeable lately. But, it certainly doesn't help that there is nothing on vehicle itself. So, I ordered some inkjet waterslide decal paper and put this on it:

//i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/PJD123/currentdecalsmall.jpg)

To be sure it is rainproof, a clear coat laquer or enamel over the whole panel might be needed (John, is the existing finish laquer?). But I think that just maintaining a coating of wax will probably be adequate.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: How Many Notice It Is Electric?

You should add: "YES IT IS, DON'T ASK PLEASE!"

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

PJD
PJD's picture

mf70

You should add: "YES IT IS, DON'T ASK PLEASE!"

ER,,, ???

How about "Yes it is, please ask me about it!"

We need more EV's on the road, and no one else is going to be spreading the word.

Mark

MikeB

I put one of these on the back of my bike:

Get them here: http://mpgstickers.com/sticker.php

In general, I like advertizing that I've got an electric vehicle. However, when slowly struggling to climb a steep hill, or when something's wrong and the bike's not moving, I kinda want to hide the sticker.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

PJD
PJD's picture

Mike,

I assume the slow hill climbs are related to you scooter quickly entering the 30% overheat-power-cut mode in the hot weather (and traffic speeds) down there. Except for the 0-2 rpm startup torque, mine delivers plenty of torque for hills up to 20% (i.e. the sidewalk is steps) that I have climbed so far - as long as I'm going at least 6-8 mph first.

But even on cool 70F days, if sunny and the pavement is warm, the scooter will go into 30% power-cut mode if ridden 40 minutes at average 25 to 45 mph speeds - especially if the regen is used a lot. Then, the performance is not so impressive.

If it goes into the 60% power cut mode (happened only once during a deliberately hard and hilly test ride) It better be flat or downhill all the way home.

In my latest conversations with Eric K. at Current, the improved motors are still probably several months out.

- Paul

MikeB

Actually, the slow hill climbs were from last year, with the lower rated controller that wasn't functioning quite right. Things are much better this year, though I haven't done any long rides in the high heat yet.

mf70

With me on our local hills, my 700 Watts can be pretty slow at times!

If someone saw, I still wouldn't mind emphasizing its EV qualities: no smoke trail up the hill, and no staccato rattle as the undersize IC sweats me up.

MF

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi Everyone,

Just back from a vacation in the UK.

As far as electric branding - watch this space! We're going for a complete makeover and some pretty interesting / exciting options for personalization. I hope to be able to share them with you soon. Part of the branding is telling the world "I'm Electric" - as well as making our name our logo and having that on the bike (time to say goodbye to the C-with-a-spark).

As far as final layer on the panels - I confess I don't know. I'll find out.

I like the sticker Paul.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

IBScootn

MikeB,

Thanks again for sharing http://mpgstickers.com/sticker.php with us. Back in May I put the "Electric" sticker on the back of my scooter, and I am still amazed at how well it gets the message across.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

LeftieBiker

I find that even when I glide (almost) silently up to someone, they still ask "How many miles per gallon do you get?" When I got the scooter inspected last week, the local Harley guy who owns the shop asked me, in a bewildered fashion, "Is it running now?" What I'd like is some large, tasteful EV stickers to cover the garish "X-Treme" ones on my XM-3000. Does anyone know if that supposedly non-toxic label-removing spray stuff really works well?

MikeB

"How many miles per gallon do you get?"

The quick answer is ~300. That's the EPA measurement, which is based on converting the amount of BTU in gasoline into kWh.

You can also use a cash conversion, take the $$ needed to buy a gallon of gas at current prices and apply that to your electricity bill. That gives a slightly higher number, and our bikes generally get close to a penny per mile, so gas at $3.60/gal gives us 360MPG, gas at $4 gives 400MPG, etc.

mf70

Unfortunately, X-Treme puts their stickers UNDER the clear coat. You CAN cut through the clear coat and peel the sticker off, but there will be a ridge around the area of the decal. It still looks better than orange flames and advertising, though....

Mark

LeftieBiker

How hard are the stickers to peel off once the clear coat is cut?

mf70

About like a VERY adhesive bottle label. I'd recommend trying an inconspicuous spot to start; X-Treme's given us a lot of possibilities... :(

I scarred the blue paint underneath trying to remove all the adhesive, but it's still better than orange flames.

MF

DesGilmore
DesGilmore's picture

Interesting I've had mine on the road about 15 months now & only once has some one asked
"Is that totally electric" On answering Yes He asked How many miles do you get to the Gallon?
What can I say?

We need heavy speakers to announce "Electric Vehicle Electric Vehicle Keep away.... "

DesG

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

Interesting. I am having these conversions about 2..3 times a week. The people notice the presence of an electric vehicle only with absence of loud gas powered vehicles....

Tido

PJD
PJD's picture

Everything else aside, it was those juvenile and tacky flame decals that prevented me from ever considering and X-treme. Don't particularly like the name either.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage