Help with LiFePO4 battery problems

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Batterboy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 10:43
Points: 5
Help with LiFePO4 battery problems

I own a Huasha HS50QT7 electric scooter with a 1.5kW motor. It was powered by 4 Greensaver 12 v 38ah Silicon Lead acid batteries connected in series, with a household circuit breaker in circuit. The range was poor as two of the four batteries are shot, so I inquired with many manufacturers and bought a 48V 30ah LiFePO4 battery and charger from yxmzone. This was the largest capacity, at the time, that would fit in the battery bay (with a club hammer and cold chisel).

On connecting the charger, it blew up, I did return for repair but bit was not collected and came back again. The battery was charged to 48 v when I fitted it, and as it had a BMS, I removed the Circuit breaker. I got a new charger from VPower and on charging it dropped to -4.5V. The polarity was wrongly connected as it had been with the charger. I fixed that and charged to 52 v and it ran OK. After an MOT, it stopped on the way home and will not charge above 48v since and just runs the scooter.

The question is whether it is the BMS or have some of the 3.2V cells been damaged. I have a multimeter and am ready to remove the duck tape wrapping the battery. So I do not completely wreck it, any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Otherwise a one year old LiFePO4 battery will be consigned to waste.

mopedbrainy
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 19:06
Points: 122
Re: Help with LiFePO4 battery problems

without an appropriate diode between your BMS and any other current ( parallel or in series) they would be damaged and the little batts would not perform adequately . OHmmm.

marylandbob
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 12:24
Points: 524
Re: Help with LiFePO4 battery problems

Many disasters can be caused by INCORRECT CONNECTIONS! Rule #1, is to ALWAYS make SURE of POLARZITY and voltage BEFORE applying power! Doing otherwise, especially if means to limit current flow have not been taken, can cause multiple parts to be damaged in a fraction of a second!-(That may be why the charger failed)--Seek qualified assistance, if you do not have the proper skills and equipment, it is safer and cheaper in the long run.-Good luck, be CAREFUL!

Robert M. Curry

Log in or register to post comments


Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

  • skler
  • Jim Caudill
  • nikity
  • slartsa
  • olivergeorge

Customize This