power cuts out during hard accelleration, 'throtl' warning

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brutus
power cuts out during hard accelleration, 'throtl' warning

Greetings. I've had this happen twice in the last week. During hard acceleration, I suddenly lose power. In the first instance, there was no warning light or message. I didn't have to stop, but held the left brake on, touched the right, got the "go" sign, and was able to ride again. The second was this evening, again during sudden hard accelleration - this time the spanner flashed, and the warning message "throtl" came up - again the bike went after restarting with the brakes.

Have others had this happen? What does it signify?
with thanks, Brutus.

ofx210p
Re: power cuts out during hard accelleration, 'throtl' warning

I can remember one occasion when i went to overtake a car, and suddenly there was nothing and the bike just came to a crawl. Major panic ensued but luckily there was some middle ground to sit on a the time and a road i could turn right down. Then it came straight back again. I don't recall seeing any messages but I was too busy panicing to look, it sounds familiar though. Maybe just a sensor issue ? Don't know - never happened again.

X Vectrix

This means the throttle signal is out of range. Check to see if the throttle housing is rotating slightly when you you hit the full throttle stop. Also, make sure the throttle is calibrated correctly. With the kill switch off hold the left brake. The speedo should read about 43.

Brutus

Many thanks X Vectrix - the housing is not rotating. The speedo reads 44-45 - is that difference significant? Is the throttle calibration procedure one of the functions of the software performed via the programming lead? Or is there a simple calibration procedure?
with thanks, Bruce.

R
R's picture

In my vectrix a calibration of 43 gets out of range. I have calibrated it to 42.

Brutus

Thanks guys - I found a post here;
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4918-throttle-calibration-indicator
where Mr Mik describes the procedure for throttle calibration. I am convinced this is my issue, as the symptoms are the same as others describe in that post. I will have a play this weekend.
Many thanks for all the help - Brutus

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I had the exact same problem last year. The dealer came to investigate and was unable to calibrate the throttle. My throttle assembly had to be replaced because an internal pin or something was wrong and my throttle would open too far. This caused the throttle cut off to happen every time I did a full accelerate. I hope that calibration will do the trick for you. My problem started after a firmware upgrade so maybe some firmware is more sensitive to this than others.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Brutus

I had a go at this and almost killed myself - the set screw, which is a grub screw with a 1.5mm hex socket. The problem is, I can't get the grub screw to fully engage and hold the adjuster screw in place. When I screw it in fully, the plastic adjuster screw still turns very easily, and moves when using the throttle. I had full throttle come on 3 times on my ride home tonight - scary.
Has anyone any suggestions on adjusting this?
I do have two other vectrix/s sitting around - is it a big job to swap out the whole throttle assebly?

with thanks, Bruce.

Brutus

On further exploring this evening, I removed the screw adjuster from inside the throttle completely. It is a threaded nylon plug with a magnet at the innermost end. I don't quite understand how the set screw is supposed to work, because it is simply a grub screw (3mm with 1.5mm hex socket end) which screws into the nylon plug itself.

As you screw that plug in, the needle of the speedo cycles around - presumeably as the north and south poles of the magnet turn. If you screw it in too far, throttle movement is stiff, and the return spring is unable to return it to the neutral position.

I played with the nylon plug from one of my other bikes and discovered that it sat in place much more firmly. So I replaced the plug from my main bike with this other one - it seems to sit in place much more firmly. Hopefully no scares tomorrow!

A backup plan was to utilise the hole in the brass body of the throttle - and screw through it into the nylon plug - I will hold this option in reserve if I have another failure.

BigTony

Is at full throttle or under heavy load/wide throttle ? While your "throtl" warning really points to throttle calibration, I can get a cell reversal that exibits fairly similar symptom. If I apply high throttle on a hill start with the bike heavy or give a boot full from a standing start uphill. In my case the system feels a bit mushy just before it goes. A good EC reduces it for while but the cell(s)causing it in my system are on their way to God I think.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage