brushless hub motor modification.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
lbz5mc12
brushless hub motor modification.

I have a 350watt, max 7oowatt hub motor from an LX1 electric bike. The frame broke and I'm stuck with spare parts. Has anyone thought of attaching a fixed gear to the freewheel thread and using the hub motor like a chain drive? I was thinking of doing this because if anyone else has had this experience they know that the motor is too wide to fit in the dropouts on any bike. Trust me I've looked. I was thinking of running a chain from it to one of the larger least used gears on the rear wheel. I was going to run it in conjunction with either another hub motor or maybe one of the Currie electro-drive motors. Basically dual motors on one wheel for massive torque and steep uphill power.

Sergei
Re: brushless hub motor modification.

This hub motor is mounted in the rear wheel on a LX1.
So, it should fit on any bike but do note, it might be needed to make the U shaped forks a bit wider.
I had to do this to mout a crystalyte rear wheel.
Second, it might be neede to push the wheel mouting forks a bit wider.

So don't think that a Electric wheel will fit always smoothly in any bike.

On a chain?
The rotor of this motor does not run since it is fixed to the bike chassis.
It's the case that hold the stator that turns and is see no solution to fit such motor in a chain
connected system unless, you modify the entire bike and make the bike much longer to create space for the entire width of the motor + 2 times chain thickness + some clearance.

Bike broke? can happen with Chinese frames.

leggera16

I did once think of using a rear hub motor as a friction drive. But it tended to reduce the motors rpm by around 3 making it a monster hill climber but do granny speeds.

I then thought the motor could be mounted in a rack, drove a chain onto a sturmey type geared hub and then used the sturmey as the friction onto a wheel. Then you would have gears on the motor. Maybe a mechanical cable to pull the hub onto the tyre when needed. It wouldnt be too much of a drag always engaged as the sturmey already has a freewheel and would cut in when the motor powers down.

I guess you could also just mount the motor in a rack above the wheel directly to the rear cogs but you would be forced to pedal when it was being used. The chain would have to be pretty straight and tight. Dont forget for both these ideas the fixed cog would always be trying to undo itself. Iv heard people say they glued them successfully for back pedal breaking before.

Like you said before if you wanted to use the bigger rear cogs it could mount near the cassette and bolt a cog to the brake side of your hub and have it stick out like an izip. But then you are pushing the motor once the batteries run out as there is no scope for a freewheel.

Iv used a 1980 3 speed sturmey hub in a front wheel to pull a rather large lazy woman around and has worked fine despite a few people being adamant I was going to loose teeth at some point. Also as its not directly driving the wheel like my shopper bike its likely to have three times less stress on it as a friction drive. It will spin around 3 times every one revolution of the wheel depending on its circumference . Three times the hill climbing torque but a third the speed if you didnt use an intermediate geared hub.

If you get a rear wheel and unscrew a cassette and put on a bmx freewheel these usually drop into front forks. Then mount the motor where i put mine below in the picture and you would have the best of both worlds. The effeciency of a hub motor with the ability to freewheel when you like. I hate hate hate the drag on my hub motor grrr lol

Iv also managed to fit a rear hub motor in my front forks by stripping the axle and making up my own spacers before now.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=alfine+hub&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1182&bih=567&tbm=isch&tbnid=SG5uec7xDzzm2M:&imgrefurl=h...

//i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/06032011087.jpg)

leggera16

I did once think of using a rear hub motor as a friction drive. But it tended to reduce the motors rpm by around 3 making it a monster hill climber but do granny speeds.

1:I then thought the motor could be mounted in a rack, drove a chain onto a sturmey type geared hub and then used the sturmey as the friction onto a wheel. Then you would have gears on the motor. Maybe a mechanical cable to pull the hub onto the tyre when needed. It wouldnt be too much of a drag always engaged as the sturmey already has a freewheel and would cut in when the motor powers down.

2:I guess you could also just mount the motor in a rack above the wheel directly to the rear cogs but you would be forced to pedal when it was being used. The chain would have to be pretty straight and tight. Dont forget for both these ideas the fixed cog would always be trying to undo itself. Iv heard people say they glued them successfully for back pedal breaking before.

3:Like you said before if you wanted to use the bigger rear cogs it could mount near the cassette and bolt a cog to the brake side of your hub and have it stick out like an izip. But then you are pushing the motor once the batteries run out as there is no scope for a freewheel.

Iv used a 1980 3 speed sturmey hub in a front wheel to pull a rather large lazy woman around and has worked fine despite a few people being adamant I was going to loose teeth at some point. Also as its not directly driving the wheel like my shopper bike its likely to have three times less stress on it as a friction drive. It will spin around 3 times every one revolution of the wheel depending on its circumference . Three times the hill climbing torque but a third the speed if you didnt use an intermediate geared hub.

4:If you get a rear wheel and unscrew a cassette and put on a bmx freewheel these usually drop into front forks. Then mount the motor where i put mine below in the picture and you would have the best of both worlds. The effeciency of a hub motor with the ability to freewheel when you like. I hate hate hate the drag on my hub motor grrr lol

5:Iv also managed to fit a rear hub motor in my front forks by stripping the axle and making up my own spacers before now.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=alfine+hub&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1182&bih=567&tbm=isch&tbnid=SG5uec7xDzzm2M:&imgrefurl=h...

//i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/06032011087.jpg)

uumotor

If you are still looking for such motor, you may use a mid-drive motor

uumotor

your small motor is really nice. It looks like a brushed motor. We have more power brushless hub motor and mid-river motor for bicycles to convert.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage