Help diagnosing problem

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
CamasMatt
Help diagnosing problem

I have a 2007 with ~6K miles on it. I am not the original owner and know nothing of it's history. It has had compromised range since I bought it ~ 1K miles ago. At best I can get ~ 20 miles. I have been able to do my commute of ~12 miles by charging at work.

About a week ago I was not able to give it a full charge at work and returning home it went from ~7 bars to zero and red battery light with about a mile or two to go. I pushed it hard to just barely got home at the top of my hill.

It appeared to charge OK overnight but the following day I had no acceleration, and after about 2 miles of easy driving it went from full bars to zero and red battery light. I checked voltage and it was at about 139v.

I trailer-ed it home and later tried to charge it. It climbed to a few bars, then I got a blinking red battery light and unplugged it, worried that I might fry something if I left it plugged in. The temperature was still low (I have never seen high temps with my bike). I charged it incrementally, unplugging whenever I saw the red battery light and waiting awhile, until I finally had all my bars and ~ 150v. Next day, I had a repeat of the previous days riding experience.

I assume the problem is my battery, and that I have a one or many bad cells that finally gave up when I pushed them. I have not had the thing apart to check cells yet. I want to make sure that there is not something simple I am overlooking. Any suggestions? I had the latest software installed about a year ago by Dana DeCosta in Portland Oregon at the Best Buy.

There does not appear to be any Vectrix support in my area. Best Buy, and Portland Vespa seem to given up servicing and selling Vectrix, and I do not have access to any diagnostic software.

FYI...I noticed that Best Buy in Portland is closing out their inventory and you can by a ni VX-1 for $4500. Tempting for spare parts, as service still seems to be absent and I get the feeling I am more or less on my own.

I did get a hold of Dana and he gave me the impression that I could get a new (removed from existing bike to make room for Li battery) nickle battery for ~ $1500 including installation, though I have not managed to get the price confirmed yet in writing. Not a bad price, but I sure would like Li battery range.

Thanks,

Matt

ofx210p
Re: Help diagnosing problem

You'll probably get a ton of replies but from the little i know, it certainly sounds like multiple dead cells as just the low range would have meant that - continuing on to ride could mean now that there are quite a few.

I'm not on your continent but i'd certainly see if i could get a good battery and fit it. Afternoon job at most.

antiscab

Hi Matt,

If you try and ride your bike as it is currently, you might get lucky and find the failed cells go short circuit, bringing the behavior back to normal.

You ride to red battery light, the pull the battery apart to find the failed cells and replace the 8 or 9 cell block the failed cells are in.
Or alternatively if there are less than 4 or so failed, just shunt them out.

A whole new battery for US$1500 is pretty good, and guaranteed to work.

A Lithium conversion costs ~$US4000

regards,
Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

R
R's picture

Try to find a death cell showing 0.00v. Shunting it might recover the battery.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage