Experience with Xingyue or Jonway electric scooters?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jerriatric
jerriatric's picture
Experience with Xingyue or Jonway electric scooters?

Hi,

Please forgive if I've posted in the wrong place (or help me by moving it!)

I'm in Hawaii, on Maui, and am planning on getting a scooter. I'd like to go electric. The only dealer that carries electrics is on Oahu (a short 20 minute flight away...), and he carries the following:

- Zhejiang Xingyue Electric Vehicle Co., www.xingyuebike.com, model DMB09B
- Zhejiang Jonway Motorcycle Mfg. Co., www.jonway.com, models DM-LN and DM-LY

I've searched this site for "Xingyue" and "Jonway" and didn't find many posts. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these particular Chinese models, or whether they're commonly known by a different name that I'm not aware of.

His site is www.alohaebikes.com, and the products page has details of the models (http://alohaebike.com/services.html)

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on whether I'm crazy to be looking at an electric scooter when there's no dealer (and, presumably, service) on my island.

Aloha!
Doug

//img.skitch.com/20111003-e53wbbgyawfrrap3cwkg61mg6q.jpg)

LeftieBiker
Re: Experience with Xingyue or Jonway electric scooters?

Various *parts* of the scooters are familiar, notably the brakes and "silicone" batteries. Not the name though (to me), but there are several people who are in the industry who post here and will probably be able to identify them. My advice, which I think will be more or less the consensus, is to look into the local dealer, and as long as they are reputable and knowledgeable, buy from them. Chinese scooters often come with defective parts and/or shipping damage out of the crate, so being able to pick it up from a dealer who has already checked it, replaced any bad parts, and can service it under warranty is a huge advantage. The specs for the larger scooters are pretty standard, except for the most expensive one.

IBScootn

Definitely buy an electric scooter. See if you can get a 2-year minimum warranty on the drive train. E-scooters are very easy to service yourself if you are comfortable with a volt meter and simple wiring. If that isn't your skill set, check out some of the local scooter shops or even shops that service electric golf carts and see if they are comfortable with servicing e-scooters.

Check to see how these scooters deal with being used in the rain. You will want to get a scooter that is very water resistant. Some scooters are very poor at resisting water. I learned my scooter is very waterproof the hard way while getting stuck in a down-pour up on a mountain ride with no where to hide. To help with protecting your electrical connections from salt corrosion, use dielectric grease in your cabling connectors.

Good luck

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

jerriatric
jerriatric's picture

Thanks for the quick input!

I'm definitely leaning towards getting electric... just need to get over "service anxiety" (as opposed to range anxiety -- it's hard to take long rides on an island). It'd be great if anyone has experience with these scooters and could share thoughts.

I haven't ridden them yet -- I'll probably be doing that this weekend. Any tips about what to look for?

Thanks,
Doug

LeftieBiker

See if the motor response is smooth or jerky, and if you can 'stall' the scooter by opening the throttle quickly at the highest power setting, especially as the charge drops. (Make sure, of course, that you are in full control of the scooter.) Check that all the accessories (horn, lights, speedo, etc) work properly. Watch whatever charge gauge it has to see how quickly it uses up charge as you ride, because those range estimates are always wildly optimistic. Maybe if your island is flat and you weight 125lbs you can achieve them (don't forget to stay under 26MPH!) but otherwise expect somewhere between half and 2/3 the advertised range. Speed is usually about 90% of advertised, in large part because the speedometers are almost always 'optimistic'.

One thing IBScootin didn't make clear was that if you order one online and then find it has defective parts, that local scooter mechanic you hire will almost certainly be paid for by you, not the dealer. They will just ship you parts in most cases. So I stand by my assessment, with one qualifier: unless you are comfortable and happy replacing parts on something you just bought brand new, go with the local dealer, as long as they aren't crooked or incompetent.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage