LiFePO4 range

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
CupertinoTony
LiFePO4 range

What is your commute like?
What speed?
any hills?

LiFePO4 are alot more forgiving of higher temperatures and currents than the original nimh batteries.
The optimum temperature performance wise for LiFePO4 is 60 deg C

Its overcharge/discharge where LiFePO4 is not forgiving (but thats more easily avoided than higher temps).

Matt

(new thread so charger thread can stay on topic)

Hi Matt,

Commute is a very flat 29-30 miles, with all of it highway speeds (60+MPH), save 1-2 miles on either end.

This is my regular route.
Route1-Flat.JPG

It would be nice to be able to take this alternate route, which is 33-34 miles, with more hills:
Route2-moreHills.JPG

I have been charging at work, and ambient temps here are mild (7-33 deg C). I understand LiFePO4 should not be run below 20% of capacity, so I would need enough aH to ride 30-35 miles with 20% left. And a "gentle" charging profile that babies the battery with 2 charges/day over years.

Any recommendations?
-Tony

IBScootn
Re: LiFePO4 range

Tony,

Great elevation charts. How did you create those?

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

CupertinoTony

@IBScootn

Google added an elevation API to Google Maps. Someone wrote some example code on how to use it. I just used the little example app here:
http://blog.programmableweb.com/2010/03/25/google-launches-maps-elevation-data-api/

I'm sure there are better ones out there now...

-Tony

antiscab

Hi Tony,

I'm surprised a stock Vectrix was actually able to do 30 miles @ 65mph.
My back of the envelope suggested a usable 40Ah was needed.

If the stock Vectrix can do it, than a 40Ah LiFePO4 battery will be able to do the commute.
I would use CHL 50Ah cells if you are on a hilly freeway most of the time though.
Bigger cells deal with higher sustained speeds better from a service life perspective (and you can of course go further)

At continuous freeway speeds, expected service life is:
WB 40Ah : 15'000 Miles
CHL 50Ah : 35'000 Miles
WB 60Ah : 60'000 Miles
CALB 70Ah : 75'000 Miles

Thats the battery only, things like the charger or MC might need attention before the battery reaches the end of its service life.
Shelf life limits will probably also reduce the total number of miles, if it takes you more than 8 years to hit those kinda mileage figures...

The kit for the last two cell sizes is a work in progress
Oobflyer is currently getting the CHL 50Ah cells to fit in his conversion.

That big elevation rise at the end of everyday says it all with the nimh battery, ideally the big hill is best at the start of the ride with a full battery, rather than at the end.
Not that it can be helped :)

The original charger when used with 42 cells is fairly gentle, the charge rate is well below even the rated recharge rate for the 40Ah cell size.
Most of the wear and tear on these batteries will be while riding, particularly up hill on the freeway.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

rah3a

Has anyone other than oobflyer been able to purchase CHL 50Ah cells in the US? I believe oobflyer had a lot of trouble importing the cells. FalconEV helped him with the process, but I contacted them and they are unwilling to do it again because it was such trouble.

CHL lithium battery
CHL lithium battery's picture

Sorry for delay shipment to oobflyer and Falconev because it was CHL's first independent shipment to USA and a lot of trouble on import procedure,now everything is clear and shipment could be much quicker.

You also may join my another client in USA and put your purchase with his shipment,just contact with:

James Arledge Pres.
Nogas LLC
2612 Winford Ave.
Nashville, TN. 37211
615-573-0367
www.nogasamerica.com

His order would be shipped in 2 weeks,if you can make payment next week,I think shipment together will save a lot of costs and procedure.

I think Oobflyer is satisfied with converter kit of CHL battery by now,see attached.
vectrix.jpg

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage