Advice wanted for transporting C124

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Derby
Derby's picture
Advice wanted for transporting C124

Hi All,

Soon (but not as soon as I would like) I will be picking up my new Maxi-Scooter from Current in Ann Arbor. The trip home will be about 250 miles. Never having hauled a scooter or cycle on a flat trailer, I am seeking advice in a couple of areas.

Where are the best points, for security and non-damage, for the tie down straps to be attached to the scooter? I will be using ratchet straps.

In attaching the straps, should I pull them tight enough to suppress the shocks? If so, how much should they be suppressed?

Any additional tips or suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Derby

MikeB
Re: Advice wanted for transporting C124

Hiya Derby,

I suggest getting a Canyon Dancer Bar Harness, it's a strap that goes across the handlebars and gives you two good tie down points, and also helps spread the force from one side to the other. That's your front tie down. http://www.canyondancer.com/ or your local motorcycle shop.

For the rear tie down, go for the passenger grab handles, they are pretty sturdy and connected to the frame with good sized bolts. You can use some soft ties (short nylon straps with loops in each end) to keep the metal hooks away from the bodywork, also available at your local motorcycle shop.

The goal of these front and rear tie points is mostly to keep the bike upright, so you are mostly worried about side-to-side forces. Connect to the trailer at a shallow angle, using the full width of the trailer. If the trailer has sides or railings, be careful about connecting to them, since they may not be very sturdy.

Also secure the front wheel, pulling it solidly to the front of the trailer. That will keep the bike from rolling forwards or backwards. You can also tie to the rear tire for the same purpose.

I'd suggest compressing the shocks about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the available travel. That's tight enough to keep the bike secure, but also leaves some travel to absorb heavier bumps. Keep an eye on how the straps are connected to both the bike and the trailer, make sure they won't fly loose if you suddenly give them some slack (which happens when you hit heavier bumps). Make sure the bike is sitting on it's wheels, not the side stand or center stand, and retract the side stand once the bike is secure.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Derby
Derby's picture

Thanks for the prompt reply and all the info, Mike.

I've read all the posts and replies in the Current sub-forum here. That may be where I heard about the Canyon Dancer Bar Harness or maybe I just ran across it while web-browsing. I was considering it and now will definitely get one along with the soft straps. So I have looked at reviews at some of on-line dealers and find some think the original Bar-Harness is better than the Bar-Harness II. The reviewer's bike may be a factor in this. Do you think the new version is best for the C124? Also, what is the handle bar width so I know which size to order? I know you have a C130 but I doubt there are any dimension differences between yours and mine.

Do I need the soft ties on the front or just for the back?

I will have to hook to the trailer (which is only 4' wide) at the floor level or at rails which are 9" above the floor. The entire trailer, rails and all, are all welded so it should not be a problem with sturdiness.

Special thanks for the shock compression info. That is something I was completely clueless about. It sounds like excellent advice.

Derby

MikeB

Our bars are 28" tip to tip, so it looks like the smallest bar harness will fit. I have the older model, which I also use on my Silverwing, don't know if the new one will be any better, but it does sound like an upgrade.

You only need soft ties for the back, since the bar harness will serve that role for the front.

Good luck on your bike, I know you're gonna enjoy it.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

PJD
PJD's picture

I've hauled my C124 twice from Ann Arbor to Pittsburgh, a bit further a distance than your trip. As Mike said, you will need one of those handlebar harnesses, and four tie-downs. If the trailer does not have a way of securing a wheel from rolling, you should bring some lengths of 4x4, 2x4 a saw, nails or other fasteners to rig a way to chock the front wheel fore-aft and side-to-side. If you have any flexibility for the trip, pick day without threat of rain (and certainly not snow).
A scooter cover will last only a few minutes at interstate highway speeds. Of course, you could also rent an enclosed trailer if the weather looks bad. A U-haul 5 by 8 should work.

I have used both a U-haul 4 by 7 utility trailer and their motorcycle trailer. While the MC trailer has a ramp and a recess to immobilize the front wheel, the big heavy ramp sticking up makes for some odd oscillations and vibrations and a rough ride for the scooter. The utility trailer also has higher sides and is higher off the ground providing a bit more stone and grit protection. So, I prefer the utility trailer for longer hauls even though you will need to have a ramp (current will provide one at their end) and a way to chock the front wheel. In both cases, reduce the trailer tire pressure to about 30 psi.

Derby
Derby's picture

Thanks again, Mike, for the answers.

Also, thanks to you, PJD, for your words of wisdom.

My front wheel will be against a front rail (9" above the bed of the trailer). I already planned to secure a set of parallel 2X4's as a track to confine the tires from side movement. These will be spaced 5" apart as the tire width should be about 4 3/4" wide. Also, will have pieces of 4X4's for chocking.

My towing vehicle would strain pulling anything U-Haul has other than the Motorcycle trailer. The oscillations and vibrations you mention would be a concern.

Good luck on your bike, I know you're gonna enjoy it.

I'm sure I will enjoy it. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. But I am older than I look (my avatar is not real recent.) :)

PJD
PJD's picture

The empty weight of the 4 by 7 utility trailer is 630 lb versus 550 lb for the motorcycle trailer. The motorcycle trailer I used felt distinctly heavier pulling it with my old-model 2.3 liter Toyota pickup (compared to the utility trailer which was practically unnoticeable while being pulled) but the MC trailer was of all-steel construction and may have been an older model.

PJD
PJD's picture

Derby
Derby's picture

The trailer I'll be using has a 4' X 6' bed. I'll remove the tailgate/ramp and add an 8" bed extension. With the front tire against the nose of the trailer, the rear tire of the Maxi-scooter should still be on the steel bed. The extension will allow me to put a rear chock for extra security. This trailer weighs 350 pounds before modifications. It won't likely change much with them.

I'll be pulling with a Toyota Camry hybrid. Toyota does not recommend towing but says if one does tow, keep the total towing weight to 1000# and the tongue weight to 100#. I've already installed the hitch on the car.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Mohammadawawdy
  • Jiya
  • volejbol
  • Gordongadget
  • Cold Rider

Support V is for Voltage