My Trike

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigviking0001
My Trike

Hi everyone. I am new here. I bought a Beamer PTV and It did not handle well. It kept throwing me off. Guess I need to spend more time training on the bull. LOL. I decided to make it into a trike that would be stable and i could still use it to get around, I am legally blind and cannot drive. After a year, I am finished and then I found this site (go figure). I though i would show what I had done. Electrically: twin 500 watt wheel motors, 48V @ 12 AH SLA batteries, max. speed is 28 MPH and I can get about 8 miles per charge. Planning on switching to 48V @20 AH LiFePO4 batteries soon. Would appreciate comments. Bear in mind on paint, I am legally blind.

112-1221_IMG.JPG

LeftieBiker
Re: My Trike

Nice little trike! If you have room for larger batteries, you can go with larger SLA batteries for a fraction of the cost of Lithium. Since you don't ride far (I assume) or loads of miles, going to, say, 38AH Greensaver "silicone" batteries or just gel type SLAs would get you lots of range and maybe even better power delivery. You could also possibly use the charger you have now.

Spaceangel

Can I ask how it throw you off? When I was a little tike and motor cycle road racer tought me how to drive a motor cycle and I thought he was crazy. Turn left to go right. R-r-right! Well, I leaned right and turned left on the handle bars and twisted the gas as far as I can and my heart rate went off the scale as I went right into the turn. The best high I ever felt in my life.
Most of my bike riding ws in cow paths and hill climbing but it was still the same.
As far as battery pack goes the Greensavers are a great choice I think. Or cheaper EVX-12200 in series parallel to give you 40 AH or even your basic 20 AH pack using just a series string. Driving a trike is still hard and different, so is driving a motorcycle with a sidecar. Making a left is a tad bit easier on a scoot with a sidecar. Right hand turns are a nightmare. I would guesstimate you like to go fast? How blind are you? do you use a light or a laser to guide you? 20/200? 20 / 400? A blind friend in GA races motorcycle uses laser Christmas trees and bright lights to do the 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile. I normaly like to use Yuasa brand gel cell batteries but price is too high for me vs quality.

KB1UKU

bigviking0001

Angel, Thanks for the hit. A little about me. I grew up in SoCal racing motorcycles in the desert and switched over to drag racing in 1971. In 1975 I had a very low budget top fuel operation and over the next 5 years got around the country racing. I quite drag racing in 1980 after burning out (and running out of money)but returned to race motorcycle Observed trials for a few years. Ultimately I returned to drag racing while living in the south (NC) and have been racing 1/8 mile since then. I had to stop driving about 4 years ago as my vision deteriorated to 20/400 left eye and couldn't find the chart with the right. Since then the left has improved to 20/200 and the right to 20/400. I have had 100 shots in the eye and 4 major surgeries to try to correct what one Dr. did with missperscribing two drugs. The difference between the visions is what bothers me when I try to weld (I have been welding since I was 9) and I have a wrinkle in the right retina that makes all straight lines look curved. That being said, I do like to go fast. I did spend some time racing mile dirt track so I am very familiar with turning right to go left.
I can see for about 15-20 feet. That is why I stopped driving voluntarily. I purchased the Beamer as it was a cheap Segway, but the lack of the balance system that makes the Segway cost what it does, is what that type of scoot really needs. At speed (12MPH) the Beamer becomes unstable and the application of the brakes makes it even more so. I am sure if I had time and money, I could have tamed the handling, but needed something proven. Since I still live in the south, walking anywhere means showing up drenched in sweat. I built this to get around my little town and not be offensive when I arrived. I need to get a 20 mile per charge capability.
I am new to EVs and new to electronics. During the rebuild, I managed to wipe out the Hall sensors in one wheel motor and had to replace them. That was a total nightmare with my vision, but God was with me and I managed to get it done and things are working fine.
I have caught the bug and intend on building a second trike from the ground up. I believe that I can reduce the weight by 40 pounds or so and increase the rigidity of the frame. I tried to roll this thing by making a tight turn at 28 MPH and it wanted to trow me out of the seat, but would not lift the inside rear wheel. This proves the design of the "Big Wheel" trike and I am going to build on that design. I will add rear suspension as the tires just don't soak up bumps like they should. the front has too much suspension (10") so I will build a springer with a little less. I have had this up to 28 MPH (45 KPH) on the sidewalk. Pretty scarey.
I am pretty happy with it right now and am looking forward to hearing any and all sugestion this board has to offer. Sorry about the long post.
Thanks allot.
Vike

bigviking0001

Leftie, Thanks for the response. I looked at the "Green-savers". They may be the way to go once I have wrung some weight out of this thing and me. This is my only transportation and I will be using it allot. I am fabricating a trailer so I can do my shopping. I have thoughts on mounting an add on generator to make a half-assed hybrid. Have to find just the right one though.
Thanks for the tip.
Vike

112-1224_IMG.JPG

LeftieBiker

Leftie, Thanks for the response. I looked at the "Green-savers". They may be the way to go once I have wrung some weight out of this thing and me. This is my only transportation and I will be using it allot. I am fabricating a trailer so I can do my shopping. I have thoughts on mounting an add on generator to make a half-assed hybrid. Have to find just the right one though.
Thanks for the tip.
Vike

112-1224_IMG.JPG

I see the generator trailer idea a lot, but I just don't like it. Here's what I suggest instead: scout your town for places that will allow (or at least aren't likely to stop you from) "opportunity charging." If there are enough of them, add an on-board charger that will pump amps into the battery pack as fast as is safely possible. Since almost no one stops long enough for a full charge, you don't need finesse so much as recharging speed. The goal is to get from, say, 40% charge to 80% while you're shopping or having a meal.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage