CRP unveils the Energica, their "Next-Gen Electric Superbike" at EICMA in Milan

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
CRP unveils the Energica, their "Next-Gen Electric Superbike" at EICMA in Milan

CRP - the Italian race bike manufacturer that's been doing electric racing the last two years - they have unveiled their "Next Gen Electric Superbike" that they've been teasing us with on Twitter for several months. It's a 100% electric superbike - 130+ miles/hr - 93 miles range - AC motor

_MG_2849-web.jpg

I believe 2nd from left is probably Shelina Moreda, an American born racer who began racing with CRP at the Laguna Seca race last summer.

Preliminary specs:

100% ELECTRIC STREETBIKE
MOTOR PMAC synchronous motor, permanent magnets
POWER 100KW
TOP SPEED 220 Km/h
TORQUE 16 Kgm
RANGE 150 Km
POWER TRAIN EFFICIENCY more or less 95%
BRAKING SYSTEM Brembo: front double caliper radial mount, rear single fixed caliper
BRAKING DISCS Braking: front double floating disc diam.310mm, rear single disc diam. 220mm
WHEELS OZ forged aluminum: front 3,50" X 17", rear 5,50" X 17"
TYRES front 120/70-17 rear 180/55-17
REAR MONOSHOCK ABSORBER Matris or Ohlins, adjustable length
FRONT FORK Marzocchi or Ohlins
THROTTLE CONTROLS, HANDLEBARS AND ELECTRIC SWITCHES Domino: ride-by-wire throttle
DASHBOARD Digital multi-function LCD
LIGHTS ECIE: innovative 100% LED lights

I was most interested by the motor. They describe it as "PMAC Synchronous Motor, Permanent Magnets" .. took a small bit of sleuthing but the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronous_motor) is helpful.

Synchronous motors are a type of AC motor where the RPM/speed is directly determined by the input frequency of the power source. The wikipedia says they are used in instances where a fixed RPM is required. Which isn't the situation you can have on a motorcycle, right? It must be that their controller has a variable frequency.

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: CRP unveils the Energica, their "Next-Gen Electric ...

Dave, all our brushless hub motors are "PMAC Synchronous Motors, Permanent Magnets". Only when such motors are run by three-phase alternating current from the grid does the Wikipedia statement of fixed RPM apply. The controllers in our rides however are the ones that widely vary the AC frequency according to current motor RPM (hall sensors tell the controller what frequency is needed), and they vary the voltage and thus the current running through coils and thus the torque depending on how much we twist the throttle. Permanent magnet synchronous motors are highly suitable for vehicle propulsion due to their high startup torque and their very large area of high efficiency on the engine map (torque over RPM). Not bad either are their non-identical twins which replace the permanent magnets with separately excited coils, but these synchronous motors require brushes (but continuous, no commutation). Only third in line are asynchronous motors like the Tesla Roadster's motor. They also require variable frequency from their controllers, but have a much smaller area of high efficiency in the engine map, and not quite as high startup torque capabilites as synchronous motors.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

How much? And where can I try one out? It looks great and the specs are good.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

CRP is an Italian company and they have branch offices in the U.S. The cost is 15,000 Euro's which by todays conversion rate is a tad over $20,000 US. I've sent them an email asking about availability in the U.S. but don't expect an answer for a couple hours because it's still night-time for them.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

CRP is an Italian company and they have branch offices in the U.S. The cost is 15,000 Euro's which by todays conversion rate is a tad over $20,000 US. I've sent them an email asking about availability in the U.S. but don't expect an answer for a couple hours because it's still night-time for them.

That's a better answer than I was expecting. It's certainly still expensive - but not crazy expensive. I wish them luck. Do you know the release date?

Unfortunately, I shan't be buying one - yet...

But, if I had the cash it would certainly be one I'd consider.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

motorcafe

CRP looking for a business partner for the industrial production of the Energica. in this case the bike can catch another name. if they will not found (and i dubt Ducati or Piaggio group have interst in it...more probable outside italy) any industrial partner they will build by his own but that mean one artisanal production and the final price can grow again. the bike showed is not a ready product. show the style and the main project but the technical choose are not definitive. they dont exclude that in race too they will develop one own engine because the result with a couple of brushed agni was not good this year and seems the brushed era in ttxgp is finish.

Electric forever

LeftieBiker

Looks good. When does the maxi-scooter version come out? I have a bad back. ;-) No real hurry - it may take me a few more months to win big in the Lottery...

CHL lithium battery
CHL lithium battery's picture

No a word talking about its battery,which should be the heart of EV....

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage