Charging the battery. Can I modify?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
scouttster
scouttster's picture
Charging the battery. Can I modify?

Ok, the scooter came with 2 batteries wired in series. ( 12V 10AH ) This is what the charger is set up to recharge. I happen to come across another set of batteries ( same exact wiring - 12V 10 AH in series )

So, my question is can I alligator clip this new set of batteries to the pos and neg on the connector as the original battery is being recharged?? So long as its in parallel, its not a problem?
It will just take a lot longer to recharge, correct?

Thanks

mf70
Re: Charging the battery. Can I modify?

Correct. You will get more than twice the range due to the beneficial side of the Peukert effect (as long as hou don't change your acceleration style).

To equalize the micro-resistance difference between the two charge strings, I would attach the pos lead of the charger to the original pack pos terminal and the negative charger lead to the supplemental pack neg terminal.

+ -------\
(+)---(+)
- -
(-)---(-)
(-)------------/

not:

+ -------\
(+)---(+)
- -
(-)---(-)
(-)------/

I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I've tried to follow this pattern with parallel charging.

Mark

scouttster
scouttster's picture
Re: Charging the battery. Can I modify?

Thanks for the reply Mark- I guess I left some info out..

The original battery pack was two individual 12 volt batteries wired in series giving me 24V 10ah. This set up is what runs the scooter. I happen across the same exact battery set up. So now I have a total of four batteries or two packs. Again, each pack is 24V 10ah wired in series. They are soldered connections and I dont want to remove the connections whereas sometimes I just want to use the single pack for shorter trips. ( under 8 miles )

I can charge them seperatly, but from everywhere I have read, its important to charge immediatly after you discharge them???? So, if I charge seperatly one will sit dead and on hold for 6 to 8 hours.

Last night I crudely installed the new pack and alligator clipped it to the contacts ( in parallel ) And, wow did I get increased range.. It was fun driving far away and then being able to make it all the way back home..

So I had the two battery packs wired in series with each other, but then wired in parallel to the motor. ( 24V 20ah )

Could you re-think your wiring diagram and get back to me. Take into account that I do not want to unsolder or will I have to?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage