Original software for VX-1

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
rontivo
Original software for VX-1

I recently had my VX-1 in and they updated the software. Unfortunately that software doesn't work well on the original VX-1, so I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the original software they could send me so I'll have some idea of how much battery life I have left when I'm riding.

Thanks!
-Ron

ofx210p
Re: Original software for VX-1

I'm interested on what they replaced it with and in what way it doesn't work with the 'original vx-1' as you put it.

I think you'll find that quite a few people on here have the software including myself. However it is useless without the correct canbus cable.

Plus of course it would be useful to know what version of firmware they replaced on your vx-1 and what you want to replace it with.

If you let people know where you are - there maybe someone who can assist you locally.

Let us have a little more info and we'll collaboratively (no doubt) see if we can help

Cheers

Chris
Auckland NZ

rontivo

Thanks for the reply Chris. I'm in Dublin California (east bay, near SF). The behavior I'm experiencing is that after a full charge the battery shows a full charge for a few miles, and then it almost immediately drops to no bars and the red battery light comes on. This is still only after a few miles and I know I've got a full charge, and if I continue to drive the bike I have no problems and can accelerate up to normal driving speeds. Since the bike then shows 0 bars I'm not sure how much charge I actually have left, and I'm not sure if I continue to ride if I'm doing any damage to the bike/batteries.

I'm not with my bike right now, and I'm not sure what version they upgraded me to. I was having the main fuse replaced, and they asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of the software. This was about 6 ago, and I haven't been riding the bike much since then due to this issue.

-Ron

ofx210p

I am sure people with more experience than I will comment but until then....

You say this was 6 ago - six what ? six months/days/charges ?

My first thoughts are that you have significant battery issues/damage (how ? who knows at this point)

My second thoughts are that if it has been left for some considerable time unused, then it will take a while to bring the battery upto capacity (but gently is a word i'd use considering my first thought)

When i first received my bike it had a 4km range from full charge to empty (the battery was unused but essentially new/old stock) - it now has a 50 km range but that is it. It took about 3 weeks of daily riding - and charging ie. riding gently to redlight at 50kmh/30mph and then leaving to cool for maybe 5hrs and then putting on charge and repeating the process the next day)

My third thought is the cynic in me wonders if you didn't have this issue before, that they put 'your' battery back in when they replaced your fuse LOL but seriously that is just my cynical untrusting side. However if it was a while between fuse failure - battery/fuse replacement and now then who knows what state your batteries are in.

What sort of temperatures is the battery getting too when charging and what style/speed riding is it.
(I have a version of the software that doesn't allow me to check temps but you might be able to by turning off the kill switch and holding in the left hand brake lever. I check by plugging my bike into the mains to charge (regardless of state of charge) and allow it to go through its boot sequence and start charging and it takes about 15seconds for the temp to reset from the default 21 degrees C to whatever it is presently. at which point if i am NOT going to charge the bike i simply unplug it. Not ideal but works for me.)

What mileage do you have on it ?

Oh and lastly - when the red battery light is on - try not to ride it much further if at all possible.

israndy
israndy's picture

I am in Alameda, CA, just about round trip on a single charge from you. I had my software updated by Scooderia in San Francisco, also about a round trip from me. It's working great. If this was a computer (what I support for a living) I'd say, "Have you tried updating the software a second time?"

Might be worth towing it to SF to get the unit re-flashed by the guys that did my bike just fine. Of course it is winter, been almost a week since I last was on my bike. Hope it warms up soon, last winter I lost my battery, and I would hate to loose it again sitting during the cold season.

Good luck

-Randy

rontivo

Randy - I also take my bike to Scuderia in SF. Is your bike also a VX-1? If so, I'll book an appointment with them and get the bike over to them to try updating the software again.

-Ron

israndy
israndy's picture

Yes, that's what I have, get it in there.

-Randy

R
R's picture

and they asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of the software.

Rontivo, do you have ESD charger or runke (gold) charger?.
I think they installed you the runke wirmware, wich does not work with ESD charger.
PM, I can send you the right files.
rontivo

Is there an easy way for me to know which charger I've got. It is an original VX-1, and if I had to guess I'd say it's an ESD charger. Scuderia suggested I run the batteries down to go through a deep-cycle on the bike, and I'll give that a shot but I'm fairly skeptical that it will do any good. If you can send me the files, that would be awesome. I'll send you a PM now with my email address.

-Ron

R
R's picture

The runke is gold and the esd is silver. The charger is placed above the front fork.

rontivo

I've got the silver ESD charger. Do you still have the files you can send me?

Thanks!
-Ron

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage