Vectrix motor "blackouts"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aleix
Vectrix motor "blackouts"

Last June I began to experience an unknown problem on my 2008 Vectrix. It had 10.000Km on the counter and with the raise of ambient temperatures, when I rode at full throttle and the system was giving its maximum output during accelerations, at speeds over 50Kmh, the motor seemed to have “blackouts” for less than a second, which repeated unless the throttle was released to at least ¾ or less. The sensation for the rider was similar to that of a gas bike with its ignition off-timed. The comparison with lead battery electric bikes is when voltage goes down the preset limit and power is cut completely (something that the Vx1 does much better, gradually), and when voltage goes back above the limit, it works again. But in this case the cycles where very fast.

As the workaround was easy to follow, it didn’t happen frequently enough, and I was facing my vacation I didn’t go to the local dealer until October (asked for date in September), when this symptom began to be more frequent. They made a routinely check-up, cleaned the encoder, checked the throttle adjustment, etc. But a solution was not found. They had a newer bike with only 5.000Km with the same problem. A solution from the Spanish importer was not known by that time. They said that a Vectrix technician had gone to Switzerland to review a set of bikes that showed the same issue. So it seems to be a widespread known error.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Do you know the cause? I haven’t found related posts. If I have missed any please tell me.

By November, when colder temperatures arrived, the problem went worse. It happened even at very low speeds with low torque output required. So now I cannot exceed at any moment the ¾ position of the throttle.

The battery is entering its end of life. It has half of the original autonomy and tends to heat during recharges. I do still have warranty until next june and I don't want to change the charger firmware for the new one that has been provided in this forum. However my brother has experienced very good results with it (second release).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Vectrix motor "blackouts"

Does it sound like the problem and noises described and recorded/replayed in this post: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2206-vectrix-owners-new-amp-prospective#comment-14418 ???

Here is the video I recorded during hill climbing on Henry Roberts Drive: (Same as in the quoted email above):
(You can also watch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PWIvTcTNU , which allows you to switch off the lengthwise distortion)

On the right of the screen you can see an altimeter indicating a climb of about 400m during the drive. The thermometer below the speedo measures the air temperature next to the left battery cooling air inlet under the front fairing.

The noise happens at 2:37, 2:38, 2:39, 2:40, 2:41, 2:46, 2:50, 2:51, 2:59 and 3:49min into the drive. Headphones still help a lot during playback...

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

It had 10.000Km on the counter and with the raise of ambient temperatures, when I rode at full throttle and the system was giving its maximum output during accelerations, at speeds over 50Kmh, the motor seemed to have “blackouts” for less than a second, which repeated unless the throttle was released to at least ¾ or less.

Mine does that presently

In my case it was the IGBT module cutting power due to high internal temperature

turns out the bond between IGBT module and heatsink was not as good as it once was (probably because I managed to raise the heatsink temp above 70 deg C causing the thermal compound to dry out).

I still haven't got around to fixing it (getting the MC out again is a PITA), but as long as the heatsink is in contact with the IGBT module, it shouldn't get too much worse...

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Aleix

Hi Mik, your description on the post you have indicated matches what happens, but the noise on the video sounds like a horn, and mine like a metallic crash. Maybe my gearbox is much more worn than yours when you recorded the video. I will try to get someone to record it from the passenger seat.

Aleix

Hi Matt, this is one of the possibilities I was considering, thanks. But what puzzles me is that with the arrival of winter with lower ambient temperatures (from 26-30ºC we have gone down to 12-16ºC) the problem has gone worse. When the batteries were in better condition they went only 2-3ºC above the ambient temp, now they can get >10ºC above the ambient temp if I ride just after a recharge. If batteries are cool at a trip start, the temperature doesn't increase in more than 5ºC. I can even reproduce the problem after some meters from the start of a ride, when all the systems are still cool.

R
R's picture

Some videos with aleix:
Riding at hi speed and uphillling: Surprise! no engine blackouts.

And riding at low speed: constant blackouts, with heavy metallic clunks.

In my opinion the problem is closely related with some faulty components inside the motorcontroller.

CO2

Go immediately to warranty before June...it seems this is an old problem in your bike....
Try also know what exactly is the problem with bike in Switzerland..maybe it's not the same. And you will lose time.

Aleix

Thank you, it seems that my local dealer is putting hands on the problem seriously. I have just resent all the warranty data by their request. I'll keep you informed.

CO2

Good luck.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage