Can malfunctioning Vectrix temperature sensors be disconnected?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Can malfunctioning Vectrix temperature sensors be disconnected?

Can malfunctioning Vectrix temperature sensors safely be disconnected?

What would be the effect with stock software and with The Laird's software if no temp sensors are connected?

Which connectors need to be undone? Are they accessible on the Motor Controller cover?

I ask because the malfunctioning of my temp sensors is getting worse all the time. Now it reports 44degC when the actual temperature is about 24degC. Charging will likely soon become impossible due to this.

ofx210p
Re: Can malfunctioning Vectrix temperature sensors be ...

Mik

Yes you can disconnect both temp sensors plugs if you are using the older (Charger 2012 and MC 1014) firmware.

Mine were causing major problems on my system and had to be disconnected until i got another working set.

The Machine will work fine and charge ok on The Lairds versions of code because he's not using the latest set of code either. The newest (68mph) one does NOT work if the temp sensors are unplugged.

Mik
Mik's picture

I ended up just disconnecting the front temp sensor board. Once it was disconnected, the rear sensors were producing sensible measurements again.

The display on the dash shows "21degC" all the time, but in the ScooterDiag screen the front temps show as 60degC.

It appears that the rear temp sensor data is still being used by the firmware to terminate charging, as I found out with a 35degC version of The Lairds software. Usually I use 45degC versions because the Vectux charges in full sunlight at work.

Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

ofx210p

If lairds software is playing silly buggers because of temps just go back to the original older Charger 2012 and MC 1014 firmwares which ignore temp info completely. They will then charge happily in any temperature working i guess on voltages & time only.

Mik
Mik's picture

If lairds software is playing silly buggers because of temps just go back to the original older Charger 2012 and MC 1014 firmwares which ignore temp info completely. They will then charge happily in any temperature working i guess on voltages & time only.

I'm not certain if this is true. The high temperature charger cutoff in the original firmware is probably 50degC and is rarely reached. The software version that The Laird sent me was set to cut charging at 35degC. I think he just changed the temperature setting, but did not add a temp cutoff function that was not already present in the original firmware.
However, he has put together a new version for me within a few hours - a fabulous "service"! Like the previous versions he made for me, it is set to 45degC charger cutoff.

Other nice add-ons are the choice to leave the impellers running after riding (1hr) or turn them off, and the disabling of the blinking temp sensor and battery symbols due to the missing front temp sensor board. The battery voltage is displayed permanently, but about 1.5V too high for some reason.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

ofx210p

Thinking about it - with ALL the temp sensors removed the systems defaults to 21 degrees.

I know the original system (above) works without temp sensors because my original set were screwed and had to be replaced and the only way I could run and charge my bike for a while was without them connected and using the earlier code versions mentioned earlier (this was before the lairds code was common place).

Lairds code is an entirely different matter and not what I was talking about. I agree that the Lairds code is spectacular.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage