Runke charger- Anyone hacked the software yet?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
gasmatt
Runke charger- Anyone hacked the software yet?

Hi all, & especially to those who have been modifying the original charger software.
As the proud owner of an 09 Vectrix with a Runke (replacement) charger, 2000miles on the clock & now, new onset disappearing bars syndrome; I wondered if I have any options to nurture the original NiMeH battery. Ideally, I'd love to install the Runke equivalent of the Laird's modified software.
Is anyone out there tinkering with the Runke software?
Does anyone have any comments on the Runke charging parameters or suggestions for the best way to stop the charger killing the battery?
Many thanks.
Happy riding...
Yours, Matt

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Runke charger- Anyone hacked the software yet?

The best way to help the charger along is in my opinion to use Auxiliary Battery Cooling (ABCool) and an occasional slow EQ charge with a Freddy charger at around 0.3A, preferably with ABCool running.

If someone comes up with a way to customise the software for the newer charger, that might be even better, but I would not hold my breath. Who knows, the new charger might have a lower minimum charge current capability than the old one, so that it might be able to do gentle EQ charges.

The problem is IMNSHO the marketing belief (which may well be true) that you cannot sell the scooters if they need a lot of time to recharge. Some market analysis might have shown that "X" is the maximum charge time that would not drop sales to unacceptably low levels, and so "X" was programmed into the charger, rather than a lower charge rate that would optimise efficiency and longevity of the battery.

Installing customised software would certainly void any warranty, so the ABCool / Freddy option has a big advantage there - it is cheap, easy, totally removable and it will probably only void the warranty if it can be proven that it was used; unlike the software that would remain programmed into a piece of hardware when it is sent in for warranty replacement, the Freddy / ABCool leaves no trace. Of course, you can kill yourself by touching the wrong parts, or someone else by leaving the stuff lying around in accessible locations. With pure software changes, you do not need to go near the HV part of the scooter. For ABCool installation, you only connect a 12V supply to the 12V system. It allows you to cool the battery at any time, parked, riding or charging, if you have a 12VDC source at hand.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

Matt, which software version runs on your charger? Mine was equipped with REV4000 (requires MC1021) which allows EQ charging at 1A, which is much healthier for the batteries than 3A.

Did you run the battery completely empty before your first attempt to use the new charger? As you can imagine it is not very good if your new charger tries to put 30Ah in a half-full battery.... ;-)

Tido

gasmatt

Thanks guys. Not sure which software I've got installed with Runke charger. "REV4000 (requiring MC1021)" sounds fine- any idea how to work out which version I have thru flapping brakes/kill switches etc? 1A EQ charging would be good. If I've got the earlier version, looks like a universal freddy is the answer. Not sure AB cool needed as it rarely hits 30degC, as I normally charge on a timer 0500-0730.
Any further opinions gratefully received.
Cheers, Matt

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

If you have a vectrix dealer in your neighborhood, ask him if he can do the update. Normally this is only 5 minutes work.... ;-)

Best regards
Tido

gasmatt

Many thanks Tido.

Afo

Mine was equipped with REV4000 (requires MC1021) which allows EQ charging at 1A, which is much healthier for the batteries than 3A.

Hi Tido,

I also have a runke charger on my vectrix, but software REV3004, (MC REV1017) Do you have your programs HEX files, so I can update mine?

thanks
Afo

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

Hello Afo,

no I dont't have REV4000 as HEX File. My new charger was inititally equipped with this software, so it was not necessary to update it.

I would try to ask a Vectrix dealer....

Yours,
Tido

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage