XM 3000 scooter problem

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
sportsdoc74
XM 3000 scooter problem

If anyone can give me direction it would be so helpful!!

Bought a used extreme 3000 W scooter. Was riding it the other day up a very large hill with a passenger.

Al of a sudden it just stopped. motor just stopped working. I believe we had too much weight going up a very large hill.

SO i walked the bike up the hill manually. get back on it , and all of a sudden,,,,,,,,the motor works.

but instead of it being very quiet and smooth on start up.......it vibrates very loud until i get it up to 20 or 25 mph. then it quiets down to normal......

ANY IDEAS GUYS???????????? IS it the controller?? the hub motor?? any troubleshooting ideas would be much appreciated!!!

craig

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: XM 3000 scooter problem

Hmmm - never heard of something quite like this.

Aside from being noisy does it appear to respond the same to throttle at < 25mph?

My first guess goes along these lines:

Going up the hill you overheated the motor more than the controller. The controller shut down, and when it cooled off you were good to go. However, the hotter motor damaged something mechanically on the inside (loose magnet, loose wire). It might be saveable, it might not.

Good luck :-)

(I still have my XM-2000 and my XM-3000 and we have two XM-3500s here as well).

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Maybe a loosened rear axle nut? The strong heating up of the motor (and controller, thus the temporary shutoff) could have loosened one of the axle nuts.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

sportsdoc74

is it possible hat the controller needs to be replaced. It fee;s as if not enough power is getting to the motor on start up. like when i'm at a light or going up a steep hill

c

LeftieBiker

Is the "vibration" something you can feel physically, or just a loud noise? The answer to that should get us to the source of your problem.

JDH, do you have a spare XM-3000 front caliper spring, or a source for one? I'm still stymied...

sportsdoc74

yes

i can feel it AND hear it . bu like i said, only when it starts moving. once the rpm's and speed gets going it slowly disapppears.............

wierd huh????????

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

is it possible hat the controller needs to be replaced. It fee;s as if not enough power is getting to the motor on start up. like when i'm at a light or going up a steep hill

c

A controller tends to fail completely (no power at all) rather than slowly reducing in power as it fails. So I don't think that's the case.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

JDH, do you have a spare XM-3000 front caliper spring, or a source for one? I'm still stymied...

I don't have any XM spares. But I'll see if I can track down a source.

mopedbrainy

one of the batteries . When your bike develops enough inertia , the noise stops , good luck

LeftieBiker

Thanks. The company told me via email that I can buy a whole caliper from them, but didn't give a price. That isn't a good sign...

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Thanks. The company told me via email that I can buy a whole caliper from them, but didn't give a price. That isn't a good sign...

I can't find a source of just the caliper spring. I found the whole front brake system (calipers plus master cylinder) for $62.

If you want to have a used part then send me a picture and if it matches the one on my XM-2000 I'll rob that one and send it to you (I ride my XM-3000 from time-to-time but not the XM-2000).

All the best.

LeftieBiker

I can't find a source of just the caliper spring. I found the whole front brake system (calipers plus master cylinder) for $62.

If you want to have a used part then send me a picture and if it matches the one on my XM-2000 I'll rob that one and send it to you (I ride my XM-3000 from time-to-time but not the XM-2000).

All the best.

Can you give me a link for the whole assembly? If the shipping isn't $100 I can afford that. Thanks for the offer, too!

Sportsdoc, did you ever get your problem resolved?

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

http://www.partsforchinesescooters.com/2/Front_Disc_Brake_Assembly,_MT-2_Scooter-863.html

Now, I'm only 75% confident that this is the exact right part - so (a) make sure of their return policy & (b) proceed at your own risk!

Selection is based up on this page: http://www.partsforchinesescooters.com/1/Full-size_Scooter_Parts.html and a belief that the XM-3000 is a close cousin of the GMI-102.

Oh, and it's a good thing you don't want the XM-2000. Terry just announced that he wants to put it back together and enter it in this event: http://thunderdrome.com/

(We've had entries in all of their prior events - it's a good, fun time - but not for the feint of heart!)

LeftieBiker

No, I'm afraid that doesn't look right. I have photos on my external drive (I had to have the main drive reformatted due to a trojan attack) and I'll get them uploaded and linked ASAP.

LeftieBiker

Maybe that is the right unit. I found one with a view of the other side, and it looks like mine:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/353/products_id/13584

Getting waaay off-topic, I'm thinking about low-emissions scooters. What, if anything, can you folks say about this company and model? It's obviously a copy, to some degree, of the Kymco "People 150" scooter.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/169_173/products_id/1112

LeftieBiker

I'm moving this sub-topic over to the XM3000 Brake Problem topic. I'll be posting link to photos of the front caliper there. Sorry about hijacking this topic!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage