A different sort of electric scooter - the Honda UNI-CUB personal mobility ..er.. device

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
A different sort of electric scooter - the Honda UNI-CUB personal mobility ..er.. device

Honda unveiled last week the latest of their rolling stools that are essentially one wheeled electric scooters with software aids to do balancing. Just like the Segway automatically keeps the device stable, so too does the UNI-CUB.

http://www.examiner.com/article/would-honda-s-uni-cub-personal-mobility-gizmo-stop-us-from-walking

Max speed: 6km/hr
Range: 6km
Has a removable battery pack
No word on recharge time

01.jpg

04.jpg

Side view shows this extra wheel on the bottom. The Honda press release explained this was for steering.

06.jpg

It's similar to the earlier gizmo they developed, the U3-X

12.jpg

This is how someone operates the device. It can optionally be driven with a smart phone app.

13.jpg

Removable battery pack

15.jpg

Holding a meeting while sitting on the things

16.jpg

Other office settings

31.jpg

32.jpg

Artists conception of it being used at various public places (airport & library)

davew
davew's picture
Re: A different sort of electric scooter - the Honda UNI-CUB ...

I read your article and liked it. I think anyone who has seen Wall-E will agree with your sentiment. I've take steps to include more walking into my life. I'm up to about 15 miles a week and trying for more. Plus most of the people I have seen using mobility scooters are on the hefty side. I don't see this having the weight capacity to replace other mobility scooters for these people.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

It must be nice to be as rich as Honda and spend millions of bucks on this sort of thing...

I didn't read the article but the Wall-E comment seems spot on. Perhaps we could replace those "butt pads" with a Barcalounger - and let's have a docking station where I can go from my bed to my vehicle to my desk and then the reverse trip back to my bed without having to get up.

Ahh, the possibilities are endless?

Now, how about they try and put more effort into a practical vehicle??? ;-)

(p.s. I've never been a Segway fan either - do you remember all the incredible hype and secrecy that surrounded that project before it was launched?)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Derby
Derby's picture

I've no idea of any place I go where one of these toys would be of any real value. Since I got my C124 my walking has been reduced. I don't need to cut back on it even more.

Still, it seems like it might be fun to try. Same with the Segway. A couple of years ago I visited a friend back east for a few days and he had a Segway. Somehow I never did get to ride it and, if fact, I never saw him use it. No loss, really.

JasonTaylor
JasonTaylor's picture

Very cool. Portable toilet for people who are "on the runs." Excellent!

Jason Taylor. Fresh rant each day @ http://twitter.com/jasontaylor7

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Very cool. Portable toilet for people who are "on the runs." Excellent!

LOL!!! Just think - they could use the methane gas for fuel...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage