This week I had my first play with The Lairds famous custom firmware and I just wanted to share my initial results.
My goal is to remove the noisy fans an I have a pretty good idea now how to achieve this as I have opened up the bike this weekend and measured what is possible and what will provide optimum airflow. I ordered some fans, and as soon as they arrive and I install them, I will post some pictures how I did the modification.
First the software installation.
As I recently purchased the CANBus cable it came with the latest windows drivers so I needed to download the PCAN_USB.dll file which is described in the handbook posted here and place it in the scooterdiag folder. After that immediate success in connecting to the bike.
I installed the firmware as documented and went for the mandatory ride to "empty the tank"
During that ride I immediately realized how brilliant it is to have the voltage readout in the dash. Because I needed to ride the batteries empty the voltage readout allowed me to control my acceleration in such way that it did not drop far below the 120V danger limit.
The next day I did my first charge with the new firmware. I monitored the whole charge quite closely and wrote down all the numbers.
After putting them in a spreadsheet it became clear that my batteries have already dropped to 80% capacity.
The good news is of course that most likely I will be able to keep them at this level a lot longer than with the old firmware. Because where the old firmware would drive the temperature up by at least 5-10 Celsius this time the temperature actually dropped at the end of the charge!
For those interested, here is the result of that first charge in the picture below.