Generic Vectrix Motor Controller

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Generic Vectrix Motor Controller

Would it be possible to replace the stock Vectrix motor controller with a basic, reliable and powerful motor controller that comes with full instructions, diagrams, software etc?

I guess the throttle, charger and display would then also need to be replaced. A DC/DC converter and some basic rig to operate indicators, lights, brake lights, horn would also be needed.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Generic Vectrix Motor Controller

I haven't looked too closely at a Vectrix, but would think the configuration/situation will be similar to the EVT 4000 I used to own. That is, a tightly integrated motor controller and other stuff to control dashboard & lights.

One most obvious difficulty would be the twist backwards to engage regenerative braking.

Obviously you guys are the experts - the idea is tempting isn't it? But could you replicate everything on the dashboard?

Mik
Mik's picture

I haven't looked too closely at a Vectrix, but would think the configuration/situation will be similar to the EVT 4000 I used to own. That is, a tightly integrated motor controller and other stuff to control dashboard & lights.

One most obvious difficulty would be the twist backwards to engage regenerative braking.

Obviously you guys are the experts - the idea is tempting isn't it? But could you replicate everything on the dashboard?

Thanks, David, but I would suggest to just forget about integrating with any of the stock electronics (or at least forget about everything that operates via the Canbus and it's microprocessors).

If I was to put a new motor controller in my Vectrix, I'd also get a new charger and probably a new battery. Regenerative braking could be integrated via the brake light switches (mild for one, moderate for both brake levers being pulled). A DC/DC converter can provide 12V for lights and indicators. A new throttle may be required, too. I'd want to keep the slow reverse function, possibly activated by a momentary-on push button.

Maybe one could develop software to use the displays, but I would just use them for ornamental purposes and maybe stick a cycle analyst or a DMM over the top.

Some people may also want to use a Vectrix motor completely removed from the scooter, like Mike Dabrowski's e-wheel: http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/ewheelforanyvehicl/

That would probably be the best way to figure out how to use a Vectrix motor: Send one to Mike Dabrowski to experiment with!

How can one determine what type of motor controller would be suitable for the VX-1 motor?

What would the peak and continuous power levels be if battery limitations were no longer an issue?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

How can one determine what type of motor controller would be suitable for the VX-1 motor?

What would the peak and continuous power levels be if battery limitations were no longer an issue?

It would need to support field weakening to go above 70kmh, at least if staying at stock battery voltage

continuous should be above 100A, thats what the original controller can do (I've measured that on mine)

peak on the original is ~270A phase current IIRC

I'm actually getting to the stage where I have a stockpile of repaired original MC's

Other's like Hibba have a stockpile of other spare parts

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Aircon

I'm actually getting to the stage where I have a stockpile of repaired original MC's

Matt

That's good stuff to know.

Mik
Mik's picture

Matt

Aha, Eyeinthesky needs one...

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

Aha, Eyeinthesky needs one...

Is he in Adelaide?

I'm about to send one off to there

I'll PM him anyway

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new