"Going Electric," a guide to electric motorcycles, from Zero Motorcycles

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
"Going Electric," a guide to electric motorcycles, from Zero Motorcycles

Zero Motorcycles just published this interesting guide to electric motorcycles, electric motorcycle riding, getting the best out of an electric motorcycle, etc.

One of the interesting bits is a price comparison between a Zero S ZF6 and a Ducati Hypermotard 796. Even though the Zero S base price is $3000+ more, you save significant money over the long term. This comes from fuel cost savings, no oil changes, no maintenance of other kinds, etc. The claim is that at 30,000 miles of riding you'll have saved over $4000 on maintenance, and over $2000 on fuel. The break even point is at 12,285 miles.

Very interesting read on the relative costs, on how to get the best out of an electric motorcycle, etc.

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/Zero_Motorcycles_Going_Electric_low_res.pdf

LeftieBiker
Re: "Going Electric," a guide to electric motorcycles, from ...

Gee, an electric motorcycle manufacturer has just published a guide on buying electric motorcycles. I'll bet that's a great resource!!! I hope they aren't too hard on their own product, or too enthusiastic about the competition.

antiscab

The two bikes aren't really comparable - the ducati has 90 hp, the zero has 30 hp

one is a learner bike, the other is not

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

LeftieBiker

I wasn't talking about that comparison. The link wouldn't load, so I still haven't read the guide. I was wondering how they handle the fact that they are one of many electric motorcycle manufacturers. Do they ignore the competition? Diss them? Has anyone managed to read the thing, yet?

LeftieBiker

I finally got it to download. It ignores the competition. Not necessarily the worst approach, as that rules out lying about other makes. OTOH, calling it 'A guide to electric motorcycles' is misleading. It's a guide to "Zero Motorcycles", with some additional information that can be useful if you can find it for other makes. It's primarily a sales brochure.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

When you read it consider a) yes, it's made by one of the manufacturers, and ignores other electric motorcycles, b) it's targeted at typical gas bike owners

In other words, do you think it's a good introduction for gas bike owners?

MEroller
MEroller's picture

In other words, do you think it's a good introduction for gas bike owners?

I just read it and think, apart from VERY heavily advertizing their products (which is to be expected from such a pamphlet), that they touched on most aspects that would be new (and potentially worrying) to a gas-burning bike rider.
What they DID forget was to explain what exactly the dimensions Rake and Trail mean, as with the other dimensions they did explain what they mean, not only how they are measured. But THAT is something a seasoned biker would not miss in this brochure :-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage