Death in Vectrix

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
michaelt
Death in Vectrix

Help. After 10,000 km's with no problems my Vectrix is dead. She had been a bit grumpy about going up hills under load and on another thread it was recommended that I clean the encoder. Had not got around to doing that, foolish me. Anyway on Friday night going home complete meltdown, refused to go forward or backwards and with no throttle was making all sorts of noises like slipping , graunching clutch.Passer by thought it sounded like something wrapped around wheel. Anyway have just cleaned encoder and mirror carefully with blasts of air only. Reassembled everything . Key on,everything lights up except go sign. Key off, on again do the brake routine get the Go sign then she gives a lurch and everything go's completely dead. Now absolutely nothing....blank screen. Help, main fuse?

ofx210p
Re: Death in Vectrix

If nothing powers up at all - then yes it could be the main fuse

If you just want to reset the bike - look and reach up under the front fairing and you'll see two plugs - swing the retaining catches out of the way and pull them out count to 5 then plug them straight back in. If the fuse is not dead - then that will at least reset things (not as much as pulling the main anderson connector but you'd have to do some disassembly for that)

There are heaps of people on here that will be able to help you. So hang in there.

But i hope this is a start

Cheers

Chris

ofx210p

Michael - just realised who you are (doh I wasn't looking at the post name.)

I'll email you and we can chat. Maybe I can help ?

Cheers

Chris

michaelt

Well, with Chris's help we collected and got her home to the garage.Have to say they are a heavy beast to push up a car park ramp as we had to do. Anyway problem seems more serious, feels/sounds like something is definitely not right in the gearbox when you push, feels a bit like stuck in gear? if you understand. Will open her up to have a look and check fuse. Any comments welcome.

Mik
Mik's picture

Does it still make bad noises when being pushed with the electric system off?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Robert Curry

Seems as if you have a MECHANICAL problem, with somethng loose or jamming in the motor/planetary gear area, and by continuing to try and make it work, you very possibly blew the fuse or the IGBT in the motor controller, or both! (Hopefully only the fuse!)--Do NOT attempt to apply power to a VECTRIX, if the rear wheel will not freely, and quietly turn with ignition OFF!--MORE damage is the usual result of such action! Carefully remove and dissasemble the rear wheel/motor/gear reduction unit, and check for foreign/loose objects, proper lubrication, and alignment of the parts. After the problem has been resolved, and all turns smoothly and normally, THEN you may disconnect the battery, replace the fuse and give it a try! (Use an "Inrush Current limiting device" when re-connecting the battery)--Good luck!

PJD
PJD's picture

Whew!

I thought from the title that this was going to be news about a fatal crash in a Vectrix...

michaelt

Whew!

I thought from the title that this was going to be news about a fatal crash in a Vectrix...

Sorry, no just a bad pun (with apologies to Thomas Mann)any yes Mik makes bad noise when being pushed with power off. Will pull apart and see what is going on but definitely sounds mechanical.

michaelt

It appears the problem is a mangled encoder disc. The disc seems to have partially come loose from the central boss and got bent. Encoder and mirror appear ok. We opened up the gearbox but all looks good. Does anyone know what viscosity the gearbox oil should be?

michaelt

IMG_0910.JPGIMG_0912.JPG

Mik
Mik's picture

It appears the problem is a mangled encoder disc. The disc seems to have partially come loose from the central boss and got bent. Encoder and mirror appear ok. We opened up the gearbox but all looks good. Does anyone know what viscosity the gearbox oil should be?

It would surprise me if this was making as much mechanical noise as you described.

Until proven otherwise, I would regard the "mangled" disk as a symptom, not the cause of your Vectrix' problem.

Are you sure you did not damage it during the cleaning?

Is the noise completely gone when you roll the Vectrix without the disk installed?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

ofx210p

Mik

I helped michael take his V apart last sat. The back wheel (without the encoder assm) rotated with approximately the same force required to rotate my own (I purposely rotated my wheel by hand for comparative purposes before i left to visit him.

I have been advised by V staff that when the encoder disc is stuffed like this, it can sound like all hell has broken loose in there.

Taking the gearbox apart did confirm that there are no underlying gearbox issues, although we'll certainly check the motor/gearbox mounting bolts now for sure !

Cheers

Chris

michaelt

It would surprise me if this was making as much mechanical noise as you described.

Until proven otherwise, I would regard the "mangled" disk as a symptom, not the cause of your Vectrix' problem.

Are you sure you did not damage it during the cleaning?

Is the noise completely gone when you roll the Vectrix without the disk installed?

Yes, I find it hard to believe that there is not a mechanical issue but as Chris says everything looks ok. Disc is definitely mangled and no I did not damage while cleaning.
Again does anyone know what viscosity the gearbox oil should be?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage