Replacement cells?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture
Replacement cells?

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a Vectrix newbie who was very safe and had some help wanted to switch out swollen/damaged cells from his 2008 VX-1. Where would one go about finding the replacement cells? I've seen the YouTube videos from antiscab and Ofx210p, and I think I can do this, but I need to know where to get replacements. I'm in Los Angeles, and live on an educator's salary, so price is an issue.

I'm a little sketched out by shopping on eBay, since I can't confirm the condition of the cells.

Thoughts/suggestions?

ofx210p
Re: Replacement cells?

Couple of things here.

No.1 it depends i guess on how many you end up needing.
No.2 i guess, if you are lucky you'll find someone on here in your area that may be able to post/deliver locally.

Have you actually tried to get in touch with Vectrix LLC to see if they will supply. At least you are in the right country for that to happen if they are willing.

Taking it all apart etc is simply a case of having a decent amount of respect for voltages, having a 'normal' toolkit (ie spanners and sockets)

Although Antiscab uses a block and tackle for lifting out his batteries (as i have too) you actually can do it by hand without this (again there are details here somewhere but PM me if you can't find)

Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture

I'm looking at antiscab's video taking apart the scooter to get to the battery. If I wanted to test/the cellls, obviously swelling is a big clue, but how would I check the cells to see which are damaged?

ofx210p

I've replied to your PM - sorry didnt see it.

Frolle

I have used a IMAX B8 charger from Hobbyking.com to test capacity of my cells, or to be more precise four of those chargers, this to speed up the process. There is the smaller IMAX B5 with built in powersupply also, but the discharge current is only 1 amp, instead of 5 amp on the B8.

All my cells was about 28Ah but one, witch was 18Ah.

Oatnet

I am in Los Angeles, and I just listed my NiMh Vectrix Pack on ebay for $300:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10064&item=140862505389

Yes, I know the price is stupidly low, but I need space in my garage. It includes all (12) trays, the container and hardware for the front/rear batteries, the power harness, basically everything but the temp sensor harness. I took it out of my bike at about 3,600 miles when I did custom LiFePO4 battery upgrade using Headway cells. With this pack you won't have to cut the steel band on a tray to replace a bad cell and figure out how to re-strap it, you could swap in a whole replacement tray.

-JD

ofx210p

Joshteacher - Oatnet's ebay stuff is a no brainer ! BID !!!! bid now ! lol

israndy
israndy's picture

Wow, no one bid on that pack. Shocking...

-Randy

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage