Front mesh on air intakes

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamesengland
Front mesh on air intakes

Looking at my Vectrix in charging mode (NiMh batteries) , I hear the cooling fans sucking air in through the pipes which run either side of the bike to the front fairing...... where the airflow is seriously hindered by exttremely close-mesh gauze. I realise that one doesn't want debris etc going through the system but this mesh seems a bit OTT to me. I removed one piece and compared air flows throug the pipe and there is a marked reduction in the gauzed one (gauze is clean).

I understand that the cooling fans can scome on whilst the bike itself is in operation too. Given the mention of hot batteries that appears regularly here, I'd have though the more air that goes through the pipes, the better.... so what about a 'ram air' scoop on each of the two intakes, along with removal of the gauze? This would put a lot more air directly into the cooling system when the bike is running and also when its charging........

LeftieBiker
Re: Front mesh on air intakes

Maybe you could buy one of those K&N low-restriction foam air filters and cut pieces of it to fit as well, in place of the gauze?

jamesengland

I just removed the gauze and I also fitted two ram air scoops this evening. They are quite unobtrusive. Given the airflow route, I can't imagine a solid particle of any size zooming all the way through and doing any damage to anything. The amount of air drawn in is definitely much more without the gauze than with.

ofx210p

Would be interesting ifyou made comparitive notes of temperatures both ambient and battery before and after the gauze removal for comparison.

Just my 2c

jamesengland

Here's a few pix:

jamesengland

Here's a few pix:
//i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/jamesengland/SDC10135.jpg)

jamesengland

Here's a few pix:
//i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/jamesengland/SDC10135.jpg)

//i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/jamesengland/SDC10131.jpg)

Mik
Mik's picture

I would leave it as is.

When you remove one mesh, then more air will flow through the tube without mesh and less through the tube with mesh. The total air flow probably stays almost unchanged, no matter if you have one, two or no mesh in place.

At the very least I would install a slightly coarser mesh, to keep mud-wasps and rodents out.

Those ram-air things look like they will hinder airflow rather than improve it. They will collect a lot more water than the originals.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

jamesengland

I think it's the perspective on the photo. They actually point forwards, like funnels and definitely will scoop air whilst moving forward. I wasn't proposing just removing one mesh though... I've removed them both. I removed one of them originally to compare the air flow when the charger was operating. They both certainly 'breathe' more easily now and take a lot more air in. I might put a very coarse mesh in just to keep the odd home-hunting rodent out, although I don't think that they would be a problem because of where the bike is stored when not in use

The OEM mesh definitely looks OTT to me, Even blowing through it is noticeably restricted, so it must make the fans labour more than necessary and reduce airflow and I can't help thinking that the more air that blasts through the batteries when charging, the better.

My Yamaha XJR1300 has forward facing air scoops under the fuel tank and I haven't really noticed any water ingress issues. I'd consider drilling a small hole in Vectrix pipe to act as a drain, if it did become a problem, I think.

LeftieBiker

Rainwater isn't your only worry. Think about insects, and how many you hit while riding in Summer.

jamesengland

Where would the insects end up, do you think?

Mik
Mik's picture

They end up crawling around on your motor controller and the outside of the battery.

jamesengland

They end up crawling around on your motor controller and the outside of the battery.

Have you actually known this to happen? I know, logically, that's where they would end up but I'm wondering if they actually do. It's a long journey for a fly and not exactly a straight through run. Of course, if you have actually seen a fly-bedecked MC as a result of no gauze, then I'll be putting it back on immediately (or maybe something slightly less fine). The last thing I would want is the MC behaving like one of those fly-zappers.... If you've not actually seen one though, then I'd run it for a while and keep tabs on it. I really do think there is an advantage to improved airflow that's worth aiming for if possible..... but not at the cost of the MC!

Mik
Mik's picture

Have you actually known this to happen? I know, logically, that's where they would end up but I'm wondering if they actually do. It's a long journey for a fly and not exactly a straight through run. Of course, if you have actually seen a fly-bedecked MC as a result of no gauze, then I'll be putting it back on immediately (or maybe something slightly less fine). The last thing I would want is the MC behaving like one of those fly-zappers.... If you've not actually seen one though, then I'd run it for a while and keep tabs on it. I really do think there is an advantage to improved airflow that's worth aiming for if possible..... but not at the cost of the MC!

No, I have not seen it.

I have actually added mesh to the air exhaust to prevent problems. http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/7054

I have seen enough rodent, spider and insect "nests" of various types inside of electronic devices to learn my lesson before seeing positive evidence that it can happen even in a Vectrix.

Green Angel

Hello,
Brand New here only just signed up due to now owning a Vectrix LX 1 i think its called, a 2008 model with very low miles on it.
Who knows a lot about these here on this site?
As bought with a problem already on it and need help please.
Thanks Anna x eco girl

Anna

ofx210p

Couple of things - you need to let people know what sort of problem and you might also want to start a new topic, otherwise there are heaps of people on here who know loads about the bike.
So congratulations on going green....

What sort of mileage does the bike have
what part of the world are you in (helps with temperatures)
what sort of problem are you encountering

and how can we help. ?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage