Extra cooling fans

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamesengland
Extra cooling fans

I'm thinking about the possibility of fitting a couple of 12v computer cooling fans (Sunon) into my Vectix. They are both 12V, very low energy consumption and slim/easy to fit.

I'm wondering whether the bike would benefit from extra cooling and, if so, the best places to put the fans. One of them would fit comfortably on the MC grille, for example. Or perhaps mount them either side of the battery box, in the plastic sides? Or whatever.

What do people think? Presumably, they could be powered from the OEM fan plug? Or perhaps spliced somewhere on the wiring harness so that they run all the time?

Just thinking here. I've tested the fans using cells from the bike. They run at various voltages up to 12v and just run more slowly on lower voltages. They're quiet and blast a lot of air. They are also light. Given the concerns re overheating during charging etc, I wonder if this would be a good idea.

Opinions please!

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Re: Extra cooling fans

The airflow through the battery box is from bottom to top. There is no way to improve that with addittional fans. The only thing you can do is add an external 12v power supply to the existing fans which allows you to run the fans when you think it is needed after a ride or charge.

But even better is to avoid the batteries from getting hot in the first place! You can install a different firmware which charges at a lower rate and always switches on the fans also during riding and optionally leaves the fans running for 60 or 90 minutes after riding or charging.
I have been using it for 9 months now in combination with quiet fans (which have less airflow than the original fans) and my batteries are in a better shape than ever before!

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

double post

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

double post

jamesengland

I might put one on the MC board grille though.....more airflow there must be better than less, one assumes?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage